Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2006, 08:28 AM   #1

I am considering putting the Tyron Runflats on my 2006 Providence and wondered if anybody has it installed and/or has had a flat tire with the system on a MV.

Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2006, 08:28 AM   #2

I am considering putting the Tyron Runflats on my 2006 Providence and wondered if anybody has it installed and/or has had a flat tire with the system on a MV.

Don

Old 09-01-2006, 02:52 AM   #3

How much are you having to pay to have it installed on both front tires?

The big question I had when we looked at this was whether or not other tire dealers or a road side service could remove a tire from a wheel with the Tyron band installed, i.e. would they know how to remove it so as to be able to remove a damaged tire and install a new one while out on the road.

In the end, with my dealer's price of around $900, I just thought it was too expensive, plus who else but a Tyron dealer (and there are only a few of them around as it is a franchised product) could fix a tire problem?

Let us know what you decide.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Monaco Owners Club
Don....I'm going to reply to both of your topics. I did the demonstration on the Tyron bands when they first came to Los Angeles. They needed someone to blow the tire at 60 mph to demonstrate how the system works.

Tyron was developed in England and came over after they sold them to all the police and military in England.

They don't prevent flats, they just prevent the beads of the tire from coming off of the rim. As you see in alot of TV pursuits, once they blow the tire it eventually comes off of the rim and the suspect is riding on the rim only. Tyron bands prevent the tire beads from coming off because the deep groove in the center of the rim is covered with the band. A tire cannot be removed from a rim unless one of the beads is allowed to drop into that groove. You could run a tire right down to the side walls and they still wouldn't come off.

They are expensive and if you can stop your coach in a reasonable distance, your tire is not going to come off of the rim. The bands are really more suited to high speed police driving. They may save ruining an aluminum rim if you can't pull over right away.

If you do buy them they are just a band with a bolt that tightens the band around the rim. No special tools, but alittle bit of a hassle because the tire has to be fully mounted and the sidewall depressed while the band is installed and tightened.

My Department bought about three thousand units several years ago.
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote