Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #1

Tyron vs Safe T Plus?

I was just wondering if anyone had opinions on Tyron relative to Safe T Plus for protection in a front blow out. I know they're not exactly the same, since Tyron's purpose is to keep the tire on the wheel and keep it steering straight, while the Safe T Plus is a steering stabilizer. I'm just looking for opinions from anyone who has one or the other (or both?)

I've seen numerous news articles this summer about serious RV accidents, and 100% of the time it seems the cause has been a front tire blowout, so I know I want something for peace of mind. Both Tyron and Safe T Plus seem like good products. I guess if I wanted to REALLY sleep well at night I could install both and be double covered.

Any thoughts?

RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:20 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Tyron, didn't know it till I replaced the tires. Thank god i have never had the chance to test them. What I have read and seen on here, is they a great product,yet expensive.

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had Tyron's on my last motorhome. Luckily, never had to put them to use. I went with a TPMS system this time as almost all of the blowouts are caused by inflation problems. Monitoring tire inflation seems to me to be the safest and most economic choice.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #4

The Tyron system seems to be a good system but very expensive. In addition it requires a special tool if the tire needs to be changed. I elected not to go that route. Instead I installed a Blue Ox TruCenter and use a good TPMS to monitor the tires. There are no guarantees, all your trying to do is tip the odds in your favor.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:57 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I have roadmaster reflex and feel that it does a great job and it did make a big difference. It is the cheapest of them all and it works.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:40 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you have a blowout, you're going to be doing some quick thinking and driving. Typically, the tire stays on the rim unless you drive quite a distance. The Tyron system will not change that. The Tyron just prevents the tire (beads) from coming off the rim.

I installed the Safe-T-Plus on my previous coach and hated it. It actually required more steering input (strength) by me to steer, which made it more tiring. If you really want a nice improvement with some blowout control, buy the TruCenter. It comes with a large steering dampener that is electronically controlled. It can be adjusted for road crown and wind, making for a very enjoyable drive. They are pricey, about $1100.00. I don't have one on my new coach because it comes with a similar system built in (Comfort Drive).
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:18 AM   #7

I just had the Safety Plus installed on my 99. I can't say it's a lot more to handle. I never really get fatigued driving, though. I'm just glad I have something to mitigate front tire blow out forces..
Old 08-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #8

Had the Safe T Plus installed this past Tuesday at their plant in Atlanta. Fourty five Travel Supreme. Had it installed for blow out reasons. Handling while driving may have slightly improved but I Have always handled well. The staff there is as good as it gets.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think the Safe-T-Plus has much value, but I am confident of my ability to manage a front tire blow-out. It's more a matter of technique than the hardware installed. I had the S-T-P on one coach and would not spend the money to do it on another.

Tyron is very expensive, both up front and long term (when changing tires) and many places cannot change a tire that has the Tyron bands installed. That alone would dissuade me from installing it, but the steep price tag is a further incentive.

The best choice is to learn the technique for handling a blowout. See the Michelin safety tips and video: Driving Safety Tips | Michelin US
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #10

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input!
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My husband has a lot of experience driving and knew what to do.
We didn't have either system on our coach and check our tire pressure but the drivers front blew and then somewhere in crossing 3 lanes the center median and three other lanes the passenger front tire blew. We plowed into the ditch and stopped on the frontage road.
Our next coach WILL have something to assist and not just rely on experience.
We walked away by the will of God.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150812_115642.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	104017   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150812_114956.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	104018  

Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:44 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes there is nothing that will prevent an accident. None of these come with a guarantee!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I just had one installed this week on my 2015 Fleetwood Expedition 38K. It gives the steering more of an "automotive" feel, with less feeling of free play and fewer small steering corrections needed. I don't feel potholes or pavement breaks through the wheel nearly as much as before.

It does reduce the push from passing trucks, but doesn't eliminate it. Correcting from the push is definitely easier.

Overall, I notice the difference and I like it!
ficodek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
You had what installed ? The Tyron or the STP or ?