RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
U.S. purchased Motorhomes going to Canada

I realize they to be on the approved list of importable vehicles and are required to be inspected but how does the sales tax work? Would I have to pay the sales tax of the state I purchased it in plus the sales tax of the province I register it in? I’m looking for a used a Tiffin 35QBA and there are very few in Canada.

RROLDSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Every State is different and some States where you have to pay the Sales Tax you are able to submit documents and obtain a refund, others you just pay it. I have experience on a car purchase in California, where the dealer delivered it on the Arizona State line, tax exempt.

Everything about export regulations from the USA and Importing to Canada can be found here: Registrar of Imported Vehicles

On import to Canada, the unit would be free of Customs Duty on a personal import, subject to GST and subject to PST (if applicable) and $100 excise tax for air conditioning. The RIV fee is $265 (last I checked) plus the cost of your inspections at Cdn.Tire

Keep in mind, that is only for the chassis portion. You need to check very carefully with your insurer on the "residence" portion as CSA has quite a few variations required by Canada and your Province or insurer may require upgrades to CSA standards. Lots of people think CSA is bogus, but it is not. Same goes for propane system (if equipped, must be tested to Provincial Standards)

Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Brian, I guess the next question is since they also sell these units in Canada wouldn’t they already have CSA approval? I realize a propane re-inspection would be necessary at the required intervals anyway.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi,
No, as units for the Cdn market have minor differences;
Circuit breaker amperages
Electrical plugs not installed in certain locations
Metal venitian blinds on window in kitchen vs. Vynl and some other stuff
When you find a unit you could email the factory and ask them for specific differences as maybe some units there is no difference other than the CSA sticker. I know in our unit, there are differences from US domestic production
Factories actually charge a CSA upgrade fee in the dealer price
No, I am not a RV sales person, but I am A Customs Broker and deal with this all the time and researched what the laws are, not what someone said ‘my friend says....’ or ‘dont worry about it, nobody checks’
B
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 03-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the information Brian. Much appreciated!
Old 03-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Also if you have a trade (and import it legally into the US), Canada still requires the tax on the full value of the MH you buy in the US. If you trade within Canada you only pay the sales tax on the difference in value.

That being said, in the past I've been very tempted to trade and buy in the US because even with CAD being low and the 13% a lot of the deals still work out better.

Some US dealers (won't mention names) advertise that they have hundreds of Canadian customers and specialize in this type of sales import/trading etc. However when you call them most of them want you to sell your MH in Canada and come down with cash. Usually a very unhelpful and grumpy response if you want to trade.

Have fun shopping.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #7

If you buy a MH in the states, are temporary vehicle permits readily available/legal from the state the MH is purchased? Will the temporary permit get you back into Canada? I'm a few years away from a purchase but the intent is to go to the US and bring the MH back to Alberta.
resdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by resdoggie View Post
If you buy a MH in the states, are temporary vehicle permits readily available/legal from the state the MH is purchased? Will the temporary permit get you back into Canada? I'm a few years away from a purchase but the intent is to go to the US and bring the MH back to Alberta.
Yes but check with your insurance and registries first I can't remember if I got the trip permit here or there. I have brought a M/H back from Arizona, a truck and trailer from Kentucky drove these, a Grand National from Montana and a 69 Camaro from Detroit in trailers. Never had a problem at the border or once I got back to Canada. The inspections are very much the same as an out of province outside of the RIV which was drop off pay and pick up later the same day. The speedo will need to have KM's on it and it will need the daytime running lights.
It's been a few years since I have done it. I was just talking to a friend who brought a car back to BC and was told he had to cross on a weekday by the border. Guessing that was probably because that crossing is so busy on weekends.
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:35 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
USCBP at Pacific Hiway and other border exit points to Canada only verify export Monday to Friday 0830-1500hrs

You can get an interim binder of insurance from your broker

No idea about US permits as each state is no doubt different

I see you mention Alberta, so cross at Sweetgrass>Coutts
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RROLDSX View Post
I... Would I have to pay the sales tax of the state I purchased it in plus the sales tax of the province I register it in? ...
For New Hampshire... You don't pay tax until you register the vehicle. That said, you can get a one time, 30 day transit tag for your vehicle from the DMV. AFAIK, most states have similar rules--something that lets you drive home your newly purchased motor home (or car, or truck...) legally without registering it (which is not easy since you don't have an address in that state.)

nehog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada, motorhome, motorhomes, purchase