Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #1

Thumbs up udgrading to diesel

Just sold my 36' gasser and would like suggestions for used diesels in the 38-39' size

I want one in the 2004-2005 vintage that has a "better than average" user satisfaction.

Not wanting to start a war by asking this question in the specific manufacturer forums.
gordo2313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #2

I recently bought a 2007 Pathfinder which is a Coachmen product. I've been very happy coming from a Holiday Rambler Endeavor gasser. That said, Tiffin, Monaco and Holiday Rambler's in addition to Coachmen products would be on my short list.

Really, there are a lot of good coaches out there. The floorplan is the big thing as they are all built on good foundations (Freightliner, Spartan, etc.). Look at fit and finish and find something you can live with. I would have never given a Coachmen unit a passing glance until I actually looked at them at the RV show and found them to be of decent quality and at a good price point.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I know that you probably know a lot more about RVing than I did when I got my coach but I found that rv.org was a fountain of information that was invaluable in making my choices of what coach I finally got. Everyone's needs and wants are different but they provided a lot of great information in an unbiased format. I would recommend that you go to their site and pay what they are asking and read everything and check out their ratings then begin your search. It was the best money I have spent on RVing. Then go to oodle.com and plug in what you're looking for and check the update box and they will send you daily listings of what coaches your are looking for.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

How can you not start a war with a question like that? Everybody has their favorites. Better to go out and look at them, to find the floor plan and styling that best suits you.

That said, we were looking for a 2003-2004 Monaco Windsor or Camelot (or the HR equivalent models) when we came across the 2004 American Tradition we now own.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #5

We went from a 31' Class 'C' on a E450 chassis to our current 38' Class 'A' DP and have loved it. But there is no comparision between the two. We did have to change where we boondock and how we travel but all for the good. Other the the big size difference, the quality and the amount of extra room we have is great. Could we ever go back to a MH without slides outs, NO! Once you get used to them they are really nice.
Look for a floor plan/design that suits what you will be using it for. Look for the features that also will make it easy to maintain bnoth inside and out. If you will be spending a lot of time inside the MH, look for color sechemes that will drive you crazy in a short time.
One of the things that we use ours for is our 'base' camp while four wheeling and hunting. There are times during the hunting season that the weather is NOT nice out and we may be inside for a couple days.
When looking at a used MH see if the owners have the maintenance records. It sure makes a difference to know that it was properly taken care of.
Have fun looking, I know we have!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
The Tiffin Phaeton has always turned my head. Dollar for Dollar it seems to me to be an excellent value and Tiffin's name and service is among the best.
Dick
Old 08-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In 2005, Monaco offered a 36' 3 slide and 38' quad slide. What makes these a great value is that they were one of the best coaches at the time, a great bang for the buck and they came with an ISL400. No one else offered an ISL400 in 2005 in that level of coach. CC, Winnebago, Newmar and Tiffin were all still using the 350 HP engines.

I wouldn't buy a coach just for the engine, but the quality and fit finish in the Monaco coaches up to about 06-07 was fantastic. They added more goodies as time went on, but lost the small details whcih made the coach great.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #8

I would look at CC, Monaco and Foretravel in those years. You may be surprised and find a gem. I have owned three Foretravels but consider the higher end Monacos and CCs similar. Foretravel is still producing though if that makes a difference while Monaco is a new company. You can get support for any of the three so that is not an issue. You will find something between those brands you will like.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought a 2007 Winnebago Tour last year and have never regretted it. Has a 350 cummins on a freightliner chassis. Also has basement air which we love but others don't like because it doesn't have as much storage. We also love the floorplan which has a front kitchen, mid-coach TV and a pass through bathroom.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #10

my search is starting with Tiffin allegro coaches. just got the find the right year and value.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #11

you sound like you're diesel smart......coming from a ford 460, what fuel mileage can i expect from a diesel over 400. also, is a big engine pulling easier and more efficient on the flat than say a 350 would.

will i still struggle up long grades or be able to hold if i supesize the engine.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #12

My wife and I recently purchased a CC and really enjoy it. We were not manufacture specific but more layout and finish. Ours has a 350 Cummings and I pull a 20 trailer with either our bikes or a car, pulls just fine by me but I'm in no big hurry anyway.
PAVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo2313
you sound like you're diesel smart......coming from a ford 460, what fuel mileage can i expect from a diesel over 400. also, is a big engine pulling easier and more efficient on the flat than say a 350 would.

will i still struggle up long grades or be able to hold if i supesize the engine.
First time diesel drivers have to learn the diesel routine. A typical large gas engine produces its peak torque under 3000 rpm and peak hp up around 4800-5500 rpm. They really scream. A typical mid size diesel like the Cummins ISL makes its peak torque at under 1300 rpm and peak hp around 2000 rpm. The diesel engine is a big air pump and it does not have a throttle plate and an accelerator pump. Diesels don't accelerate as much as they gather momentum. If you lose momentum at the bottom of a hill then you will struggle to recover it, regardless of size or hp. With a diesel, especially in hill country, you drive by your tach and your temp gauge.

If you take the GVWR + the weight of your toad, and divide by the hp the number should be under 100. This means that you have 1 hp for each 10 pounds of weight. If you have much over 100 lbs you will start struggling in the hills.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
First time diesel drivers have to learn the diesel routine. A typical large gas engine produces its peak torque under 3000 rpm and peak hp up around 4800-5500 rpm. They really scream. A typical mid size diesel like the Cummins ISL makes its peak torque at under 1300 rpm and peak hp around 2000 rpm. The diesel engine is a big air pump and it does not have a throttle plate and an accelerator pump. Diesels don't accelerate as much as they gather momentum. If you lose momentum at the bottom of a hill then you will struggle to recover it, regardless of size or hp. With a diesel, especially in hill country, you drive by your tach and your temp gauge.

If you take the GVWR + the weight of your toad, and divide by the hp the number should be under 100. This means that you have 1 hp for each 10 pounds of weight. If you have much over 100 lbs you will start struggling in the hills.

Exactly right. I just drove I 70 west out of Denver. It was hot out and the hills were huge over 7% for miles. You keep your RPMs at the sweet spot and you down shift if needed. I will say this about the diesel engines though. I would look for a Cummins ISM it is the smallest of the Heavy Duty series and is a beast. Cat is out of the on the road market now but they make a good engine too. I prefer Cummins though as they have their coach care system that focuses on coaches. They have hookups for you to use when you are there in many locations as well. I will say I have both an V10 ford in my Bornfree and my ISM in my 42 foot Foretravel and I get about the same milage but the FT does not work going up the hills. I would stay diesel in the class A market.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel