Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #15
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Another quick check is to pull the gray tank handle, letting it drain for a minute and check for leaks prior to dumping the black tank.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2007, 02:21 AM   #16
Oh does this post bring back memories! I can remember being at a State PARK AND my husband got all set up and then PULLED the lever...well the hose busted at the connection point and I heard him saying "OH NO OH NO OH NO OH NO...I saw what was going on and said SHUT IT OFF HUT IT OFF AND he kept yelling OH NO OH NO (I think he was in such a state of shock he froze) I then reached over him and pushed the lever in. He reminded me of Robin Williams in RV.After cleaning up we got the heavy duty hose and connectors. He made sure that the connector and hose would never come off again!

campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #17
Get a Sani-Con system. It will never happen again. I got one when I purchased the coach and love it.

A couple of weeks ago I was at a campground that the sewer hole was farther than my Sani-Con hose would reach, so I had to resort to the old way of dumping. After that experience, I purchased an extention hose for the Sani-Con. Now I have 31 feet of hose. Love the system.

2006 Monarch SE 37"
stevelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #18
floyd, "Ugly black water incident" is redundant-ALL black water incidents are UGLY, Ken, '04DSDP
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
ROTFLMAO! 'Cause you gotta laugh, eh? This is exactly why I NEVER touch the dump hoses... not my department! LOL!
Brenda & Tony, traveling with Chocolate Lab Cadbury and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Rossi, Hayden, Millie, & Hercules... towing an assortment of motorcycles!
bsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
From Driver:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I am changing over my entire hose collection to the Prest-O-Fit System. I think that it is the easiest system to get working and it rarely if ever leaks or comes apart. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too have the Prest-O-Fit System, have had it for 5 years now. I wouldn't trade it for any of the other ones. It has press/twist-fittings on the ends of the hose. Once there pushed on and twisted they are impossible to pull off without twisting them as you pull. I did finally have to replace my 10-foot hose as it developed a small leak. But this only happened after about 4-1/2 years. I think it was caused by too much dragging across concrete.

I also use Presto-O-Fits clear attachment at the Black Tank outlet pipe. This way you can see when it's empty and also when you flush the tank you can see when it's becomes clear.
Bob 2006 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ
US Navy Carrier Battlegroup 1959/1963
Summer in Colorado, Winter Texas Gulf Coast
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:58 AM   #21
I also have the Presto-Fit system. Been using it for close to 10 years with no problems. I believe it's lasted so long because it's a quality product and we seldom "full hookup" so it's not exposed to the elements (the hose exterior, that is).

When I slide the bayonet connector onto the valve coupling, I always put my hand on the hose, just below the ring clamp and turn it onto the coupling. If the hose turns in my hand after the coupling locks, I know it's loose before I "pull the trigger"! A safety check that's turned into a habit over the years.

The Lovely Mrs. steadfastly refuses to go anywhere near that compartment or hose. In return I steadfastly refuse to go near the stove or supermarkets. It works for us!
Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #22
Last year when we left the FMCA rally in Charlotte, NC our black tank was FULL. When we got to our first campground, I had to hook up about 20 ft of sewer hose. I pulled the valve open, ran to the other end and put my foot on the top of the hose above the sewer hole. All of the 'Stuff' started coming down the hose and then go down the drain. All seemed fine, then 'Stuff' started coming back up and spraying all over my feet, legs and all over the ground. I ran back and closed the valve. Turned out the sewer had been clogged and our 'stuff' had no where to go but out because of all the pressure from 40 gallons of it. What a mess.
2006 Travel Supreme Select 45DL24
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 35" tires, 4" lift
jeeprubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:55 AM   #23
There is actually a simple reason why some of these spills occur, and a simple way to reduce the possibility.

Some of the sewer drain systems we use are not properly vented. That means that when we hook our flex hoses to a the sewer line with a good snug fitting screw in fitting, and then push the connector onto the good tight drain fitting on the rig, we have created a problem. Often there is standing water in the drain, either from standing solids in the line, or purely from poor design by the person who installed the line. It may be a few inches of water, or it may be ten feet of standing water.

We have effectively created an "air pocket" in the sewer line. Now if we pull the handle full open in one quick jerk, all the pressure from the higher holding tank rushes to fill that portion of air trapped sewer line. One of two things is bound to happen.

One, the weight of the sewage in the black tank will force the water at the other end to move, and the tank will drain. Or two, the pressure in the line is now compressed, causing something to give. Some times that movement will be the sewer hose twisting and expanding while the black tank forces its contents into the sewer line. In the worse case senario one of the fittings gives way when air, then black water looks for the path of least resistance.

This does not happen (usually) at home because ALL of your plumbing systems are vented. The vent releases pressure from the trapped air in the line, and the pressure of the moving water has time to force the standing water in the trap to move.

The simple solution? When you have hooked up your sewer line as normal and are starting to dump, start pulling the black handle SLOWLY. The water will still flush out but it will give the air in the line a chance to escape and be replaced with the contents of the black tank.

As the hose fills and starts to push it's way through the sewer line, pull the black handle more and more until it's full open. Then flush and drain as usual. This will also give you time to react in case the sewer hose starts to back fill. If the hose becomes rigid all the way back to the rig connection and you cant hear the water rushing through the hose, you will have time to close the valve and deal with the issue. A hose full of black water is easier to deal with than 10 gallons of black water all over the ground, you, and your spouse.

I have run into many sewer lines that were not vented properly and have nearly caused a "Haz-Mat" spill.

So go slow and avoid the "ugly spill" as much as possible.

Marty and Diane, Fulltiming!

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote