Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2001, 03:20 PM   #1

After camping this weekend, we went to dump. I have a newer sewer hose that I tightened really good when I put on and have used it several times without incident...until Sunday morning .
We went to dump and while I held the hose in the sewer hole my wife pulled the valve open. One big swoosh later, what seemed like about 1/2 of the black water was either on the ground or on my wife. Needless to say she was not "a happy camper" .
The hose somehow loosened up and slid off the connector spilling the contents. The neck of the connector is smooth so just a little loosening was enough to make it slide off. I don't want to have to check it each time with a screwdriver if I don't have to. My question is is there some kind of connector or something that would have prevented this and save my marriage? She now insist on changing jobs when we dump, so I need to find something fast that will prevent that again before I'm in charge of pulling the lever.
Floyd

Floyd and Karen.
2001 Damon Intruder 349 with W22 Workhorse chassis. 2001 Cavalier to match trim on Intruder.
Retired early, now gonna enjoy it.

"We're only young once, but with humor, we can be immature forever!"

2001 Chev Cavalier with Blue OX Aventa II
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2001, 03:20 PM   #2

After camping this weekend, we went to dump. I have a newer sewer hose that I tightened really good when I put on and have used it several times without incident...until Sunday morning .
We went to dump and while I held the hose in the sewer hole my wife pulled the valve open. One big swoosh later, what seemed like about 1/2 of the black water was either on the ground or on my wife. Needless to say she was not "a happy camper" .
The hose somehow loosened up and slid off the connector spilling the contents. The neck of the connector is smooth so just a little loosening was enough to make it slide off. I don't want to have to check it each time with a screwdriver if I don't have to. My question is is there some kind of connector or something that would have prevented this and save my marriage? She now insist on changing jobs when we dump, so I need to find something fast that will prevent that again before I'm in charge of pulling the lever.
Floyd

Floyd and Karen.
2001 Damon Intruder 349 with W22 Workhorse chassis. 2001 Cavalier to match trim on Intruder.
Retired early, now gonna enjoy it.

"We're only young once, but with humor, we can be immature forever!"

2001 Chev Cavalier with Blue OX Aventa II
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 03:27 PM   #3

I think I would either try a small short sheet metal screw into the connector of a pop rivet. And remember to keep smiling wven when your are the one pulling the valve.

tinkercb
Old 08-13-2001, 03:56 PM   #4

This system can be found at almost any Walmart and I've used it with success and no spills even though I've only been doing this for one season. It has a positive clamping ring which grips the material of the hose between the slinky portion and I see no way this setup could allow the hose to slip off. I think it would fit most peoples budgets.

http://www.camco.net/

MattHelm21
Matt & Cyndie Nichols
'00 Chevy K3500 Crew cab, DRW, Vortec 7400, auto, 4.56, Reese 20K
'00 Newmar American Star, 36DBSA FW, Onan 7K(propane conversion)

[This message was edited by MattHelm21 on August 13, 2001 at 08:05 PM.]
MattHelm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 04:21 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I am changing over my entire hose collection to the Prest-O-Fit System. I think that it is the easiest system to get working and it rarely if ever leaks or comes apart.

Description:
Ultimate Sewer Kit has everything you need for a quick hookup. Includes a Universal Sewer Elbow, two 10' Ultimate Sewer Hoses and a Straight Hose Coupler to join the two 10' hoses for instant connection anytime, anywhere for distances up to 20'.

01 Adventurer 37G W20 V8100 T1000
01 Cavalier LS, Blue Ox Aladdin.
Dale - 88 - Jarrett
Ricky - 28 - Rudd
-== R Y R ==-
The Nor'Easters
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 04:32 PM   #6

I had the same concern (however, it never came off) and I remedied it two ways. One was several layers of black electrical tape for the connector to clamp to instead of the smooth plastic. Also I used a couple of small sheet metal screws thru into the plastic - as was mentioned earlier.
When it comes to black water, I will take no chances.

Hart2Hart
Old 08-13-2001, 09:25 PM   #7

heehee,

Same thing happened to me. I WAS the one pulling the handle. Cheapo hose slipped off the connector & the WOOSH happened. Luckily I got the handle in quick (should have seen me movin!), just got a little on my pants (but a little is still too much). Yep, "doodoo happens"

I ended up going with the one Matt showed in his post, and havent had any problems since. Its a nice setup.

Another lesson learned was ONLY GET THE HEAVY DUTY HOSES. The tuffer the better. All it takes is one slight drag on the ground with the cheapos to get leaks, then theyre ruined (the cheapos are a total waste of money).

2000 Dodge Cummins 6speed. / 2000 Sunnybrook 28' five
Old 08-14-2001, 06:43 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
We haven't had exactly the same situation, however we carry a supply of 1 gal zip lock bags. Great to store the clothes you were wearing at the time of the disaster until you can wash them. Because as we all know disasters do happen.
cwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 09:03 PM   #9

I solved the probability of that ever happening to me by buying the "sewer solution" macerator. Now I dump with a 1" hose that can even pump up hill (max of 3 ft) and can pump up to 50' away. NO MORE SLINKIES.
Dave F.
Old 08-20-2001, 07:44 AM   #10

Dave, could you tell me where you got your 1 inch hose???? I am also going to the Macerator Pump, only took one little spill for the Slinky to make me look for another way. Thanks ..........

2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U.
99 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:06 AM   #11

Shortly after buying our '85 Barth we were on our first trip. Got a knock on the door and a neighbor told us we had a problem. I looked out back and there was a 12in. crack across the middle of our black water tank. "Stuff" was flowing out and toilet paper hanging from the hole. I though my life was over. The Holiday RV or the previous owner had fixed a crack with one strip of eboxy sealer. After cleaning up the mess and driving home. I fixed it like I used to fix surf boards growing up in Hueneme, Ca. Glass cloth coated in two part epoxy. Then sanded and re-epoxied. Has lasted for a year and 12,000 miles.

www.barthmobile.com

God Bless and Pleasant Journeys,
Dave Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 08:22 AM   #12

I helped a friend dump once. He pulled up to the station, hooked up and I "helped" by pulling the valve. The "stuff" sprayed out through a crack in the valve. If hadn't had my mouth open, it would have hit me right in the face.
Jerryg
Old 05-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #13

My Corsair has a lower-than-normal outlet and was not hung very well from the factory. One trip, the hanger broke loose and I had to use a bungee cord to keep it off the pavement. Somewhere along US 127 in lower Michigan, the bungee pulled the O-ring insert right out of the black water tank and dumped the tank over a short distance. I think you can still smell it! I'm going with the macerator next trip as that's not the only black water incident I've had.

Although, I guess a black water spill is sort of a rite of passage for an RV'er isn't it?

Norm
Old 05-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
BobMc:
Hose is available here