Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #1

Ultra Leather cracking

On the Damon forum it was disused about the Flex-steel Ultra leather seats cracking after a short time of use (mine had only 14,000 miles and 1 year use). I was wondering if any other MH owners have this problem? It is upsetting to think that I may have to replace at my expense material that is obviously defective. Some of the owners tried to get it fixed with no luck. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and what you did to fix it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #2

Mine is just like new what leather conditioner do you use?

Old 07-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have not heard of that happening with real Ultra Leather. It is a polyurethane product and does not require any conditioner. They do recommend specific cleaning solutions - 409 is one of them. They say not to use any alcohol based cleaning solutions.

We reupholstered our fabric covered captains chairs with Ultra Leather and found that there are a lot of knock offs out there. They are much cheaper but are nowhere near as durable. I wonder if Damon used one of the cheaper materials?

In any case you can probably have them reupholstered if you don't want to do it yourself.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Our Ultraleather is 16 years old and has 86,000 miles of use. We have no "cracking" in the material like a dried out leather might get. It remains very soft and is cleaned with soap and water.

I wonder if your material is something other than Ultraleather and hence have a different repair procedure? Perhaps Damon or Flex steel can provide the source of your material?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Our Flexsteel captains chairs in our last MH, which was a 2007 Hurricane, started cracking then the vinyl started peeling off the backing. I was told by one dealer that they had a bad run of the material and several had reported problems. Flexsteel admited nothing!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #6

We bought it used and the 1st owner only had it one year I don't think they put any treatment on it. It had started to crack by the time we bought it 1 year ago. I forgot to state is is a 2008 Damon Challenger 378.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We have 2009 MH with Ultraleather. It too is cracking on the Flexsteel chair armrests.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #8

07 Georgie Boy Landau with Flexsteel/Ultraleather. Both captains chairs are peeling the surface layer from the woven backing.

I cannot believe the lousy quality for such an expensive product.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe we all should start getting a "Class Action" threat headed toward Flexsteel :-)

Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #10

Heck, I'd be happy if they would sell me replacement upholstry kit at a reasonable price and I'd install the covers myself. Not looking for a handout, just some help with a obviously less than great product. Class Action suit will do nothing but make some lawyers some money and get me a coupon for $5 off a set of new chairs.

Flexsteel....you listening?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When I contacted them about replacement covers they wanted more for the covers than I could buy brand new - same model - Flexsteel seats for!

Old 11-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
On the Damon forum it was disused about the Flex-steel Ultra leather seats cracking after a short time of use (mine had only 14,000 miles and 1 year use). I was wondering if any other MH owners have this problem? It is upsetting to think that I may have to replace at my expense material that is obviously defective. Some of the owners tried to get it fixed with no luck. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and what you did to fix it?
Our 2011 Serrano has ultra leather peeling and with holes EVERYWHERE and we don't have kids or pets and aren't full timers. We are not looking foreword to the reupholstering bill!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Our Flexsteel captains chairs in our last MH, which was a 2007 Hurricane, started cracking then the vinyl started peeling off the backing. I was told by one dealer that they had a bad run of the material and several had reported problems. Flexsteel admited nothing!
Our 2011 Serrano has ultra leather or vinyl that was used peeling and with holes EVERYWHERE and we don't have kids or pets and aren't full timers. We are not looking foreword to the reupholstering bill!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpm64 View Post
07 Georgie Boy Landau with Flexsteel/Ultraleather. Both captains chairs are peeling the surface layer from the woven backing. I cannot believe the lousy quality for such an expensive product.
AGREE .... Our 2011 Serrano has ultra leather or vinyl that was used peeling and with holes EVERYWHERE .... Captain chairs, dinette & couch .... and we don't have kids or pets and aren't full timers. We are not looking foreword to the reupholstering bill!

Tags
georgie boy