Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ultrapower Upgrade

Who has installe the Ultrapower Upgrade on their Workhorse Chassis? What is your opinion, and did you get better mileage?

Thanks,

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #2

Put it on my 2008 Outlaw. Showed improved performance only gained about .8 mpg.
Nucleartec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #3

I had it on my previous coach which was a 2003 workhorse with a 8.1l engine. Power improvements were huge but I am not sure I noticed a MPG difference. I also changed the plugs and plug wires as did many others as I recall.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartec1
Put it on my 2008 Outlaw. Showed improved performance only gained about .8 mpg.
What was your mpg before?
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post
Who has installe the Ultrapower Upgrade on their Workhorse Chassis? What is your opinion, and did you get better mileage?

Darryl
Do a search for Ultrapower down the main page in the Workhorse Chassis Owners Forum, and you'll find numerous posts on the subject.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have not (yet) done it.. However I have heard from many who have.. All gave it positive reviews.. The only negatives I have heard came from, of all places, Redlands RV (who installs the system) and this was... Well.. Let me tell you what they said.

They had 12 rigs come in as I recall (may have been six) all with identical engine failures. Half of them (exactly half) were modified with Ultra Power.. Workhorse refused to warrant the work (Redlands took care of it for their customers)

The other half, Remember this is IDNENTICAL failures, Were "Stock" and Workhoree warranted the repair.

Now, Was it UP's fault? Recall the all had identical failure. Don't sound like UP's fault to me. but that is the only "negative" I have heard and redlands made it good.

Oh, I've heard from one or two who needed a "Fine tune" but Either Redlands or Brazil (Whoever installed) took care of that too. This kind of thing is.. Normal.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure what Ultra power is but I just put a 5 Star Tune into my V-10 and after a 2400 mile trip not only was I very pleased with the additional power but the shifting schedule of the transmission was amazing compared to the stock setup.

I was able to use my cruise control for the first time in 20,000 miles of travel without having to turn it off when approaching a hill for fear of it downshifting the usual 2 gears and hitting 4,500 RPM! It improved my mileage throughout the duration of the 2400 trip to 7.28 MPG although that's not why I installed it.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I have installed the ultra power and like it. I also have the banks installed. I have not seen any increase in mpg but the power is great. I would recommend doing the ups up grade. Good Luck JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Workhorse refused to warrant the work (Redlands took care of it for their customers)

The other half, Remember this is IDNENTICAL failures, Were "Stock" and Workhoree warranted the repair.

Now, Was it UP's fault? Recall the all had identical failure. Don't sound like UP's fault to me. but that is the only "negative" I have heard and redlands made it good.

Oh, I've heard from one or two who needed a "Fine tune" but Either Redlands or Brazil (Whoever installed) took care of that too. This kind of thing is.. Normal.
If they didn't do a teardown and positively identify the modification as the cause then they were in violation of the Moss-Magnusson Act!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner

I wonder how many with UP have had an update to the programming done? I last had mine looked at in 2006. Is there any recommendation for an update from either users or Brazels?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
desobelman,
I have had the Ultra Power and Taylor wires on my coach for at least 8 years and really like the power it gave me.
As for gas mileage it increased about .05 miles per gallon.
Not much but more than that the power to climb hills especially the Grapevine in So. Cal was all worth it.
I had mine done by Redlands RV and they did tweek it once and it has run really strong all these years.

2017 Forest River Heritage Glen Lite 34' Travel Trailer
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote