Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #1

un-winterize

Have been getting the coach ready for a trip to Destin FL next week so I am down to dumping the pink stuff and will be washing out the water lines. When the first freezing weather came in last year I added the pink stuff. There was not a bypass valve installed at the pump so I just disconnected the line form the water tank at the pump an connected the suction line for the antifreeze. It was messy. So I bought a bypass valve kit and installed it today. I hope this makes the winterizing process easier. But I have a question. using the fittings that were already on the line from the fresh water tank to the pump and the fittings that came with the kit I positioned the by pass valve between the pump and the inline filter. This way when I winterize the inline filter be behind the valve that turn off the fresh water tank and opens the supply tube for the pink stuff. Is that how it should be connected. There will be no water in the filter and I can actually disconnect it and clean it out.

One more question I have not hooked up to city water yet and there is no water in the tank sop I have not cleaned out the lines. I will do that this week end. Should I flush out the lines first before resetting the bypass valves on the water heater.

Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #2

Just a little confused on the hook up for the A/F pick up , and the filter.
Is the filter between the fresh tank and the 12v pump?
I'm thinking from your description that, you may , have installed the valve, on the pressure side of the pump.

Second part, if at all possible keep A/F out of the water heater; so yes flush the lines first before filling the tank.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:12 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You want the antifreeze intake to on the intake side BEFORE the pump. This way the pumps sucks in the antifreeze and is winterized as well. If your water filter is after your pump, then from your description above, you have it incorrectly positioned.

As for unwinterizing, I would leave the bypass as you have it now, and run freshwater through the city hookup to the faucets until it runs clear for about five minutes. I would also take a gallon of freshwater and use the connection you just put in (once properly connected) and run freshwater through the pump and out of the faucets. Then you should be good to fill the freshwater tank.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Just a reminder. Make sure when you do open the by-pass to the hot water heater make sure you get all of the air out before turning on the water heater.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Just a little confused on the hook up for the A/F pick up , and the filter.
Is the filter between the fresh tank and the 12v pump?
I'm thinking from your description that, you may , have installed the valve, on the pressure side of the pump.

Second part, if at all possible keep A/F out of the water heater; so yes flush the lines first before filling the tank.
Let me clarify my 1st post,

I positioned the by pass valve between the pump and the fresh water tank with the inline filter before the by pass valve.

Yes the filter and by pass valve are between the pump and the fresh water tank. Not on the pressure side.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #6

Just got back from Destin area last weekend. Our first trip in the motor home. A week too early. It was still cold here. We spent a month there. I opened my tank drain to get all I could out of the tank. Then I put fresh water in it and pumped it through the system to clear the antifreeze out of the lines. Then I filled the water tank with water with some bleach in it and pumped it through the system to get it in all of the lines. I let it sit for four hours and then dumped the tank and filled with fresh water and pumped the lines clean again. I traveled with only a half tank or so of water to keep weight down. Just enough for the bathroom and sinks while traveling. My water heater drain was left open all winter, so I flushed it out with the hose before I put the plug back in and filled it.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #7

Summerrize

I finished the "Sumerrize" project today. All the pink stuff is gone, clean fresh water now in the lines and the black and grey tanks flushed and clean. Fresh water tank flushed and fresh water added. The pump with the bypass valve works fine and no leaks anywhere. The water heater had a lot crud in the bottom so I flushed with water several times and used a inline hand pump sipheon tube to get all of the loose stuff out. Checked all of the faucet screens and have full hot and cold water flow.

Now to wash the coach apply Rejex to the front put 303 on the tires a full tank of diesel and I am ready to hit the road.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I finished the "Sumerrize" project today. All the pink stuff is gone, clean fresh water now in the lines and the black and grey tanks flushed and clean. Fresh water tank flushed and fresh water added. The pump with the bypass valve works fine and no leaks anywhere. The water heater had a lot crud in the bottom so I flushed with water several times and used a inline hand pump sipheon tube to get all of the loose stuff out. Checked all of the faucet screens and have full hot and cold water flow.

Now to wash the coach apply Rejex to the front put 303 on the tires a full tank of diesel and I am ready to hit the road.
Glad it all worked out for you! Have a great camping season!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #9

One more question. How do you flush The ice maker. I am in storage not connected to city water but I am connected to 110. Fridge is on Can I turn on the pump and the ice maker to get water from the fresh water tank. I guess it would take a few times making ice before it would be flushed.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry , but bought my first class A last week, and have to ask, what is 303? What soap do y'all use to wash your MH?
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:49 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcandvicki View Post
Sorry , but bought my first class A last week, and have to ask, what is 303? What soap do y'all use to wash your MH?
303 is a spray on protectorant... Like an Armorall, only better. I get it at Camping World or you can get it online. I wash the mh with a car wash and then use Meguire's Cleaner wax for a lasting shine. Meguire's is a liquid wipe on wipe off clean wax that removes dirt and black streaks that washing leaves behind.

If you do a search above, you will find threads on just about anything you could ever want to know about your new to you mh.

Good luck!

Tags
winter