Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacerm View Post
Of course anything over 26,000 pounds does require a different license.
Only in some states, WA does not require any special license.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Only in some states, WA does not require any special license.
Nor does Michigan. There's a special endorsement to pull a "double" trailer (i.e., fifth wheel AND a boat trailer type arrangement). But for a single trailer or large motor home - nothing more than your standard drivers license. Michigan CDL requirements specifically exclude motor homes with the following statement:
"Individuals: Operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non-business purposes."
Old 04-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #31

I cannot fathom a dealership telling a customer " I am sorry we cannot sell you an RV because you have no experience with them " It just dosen't work like that.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the best training anybody could possibly have. To help build my retirement i drove a school bus for 10 years every day to and from school. I actually have about 25 years experience because i also drove the soccer team to all their games for 10 years and school trips all over the state. Nothing prepares you for driving a MH like having 30-70 kids most of the time setting behind you doing what ever to distract you. Driving a MH is a piece of cake.

TeJay
Old 05-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I had the best training anybody could possibly have. To help build my retirement i drove a school bus for 10 years every day to and from school. I actually have about 25 years experience because i also drove the soccer team to all their games for 10 years and school trips all over the state. Nothing prepares you for driving a MH like having 30-70 kids most of the time setting behind you doing what ever to distract you. Driving a MH is a piece of cake.

TeJay
That's so true. When your cargo is something more than just you and your spouse, the stakes rise. Keeping your concentration in traffic with a lot of distractions in all sorts of weather, IMHO, great training!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Back to this guy Saturday, our salesman wanted to go see the coach and it was nearby so we went and looked at it. It was a lot of damage and I could not help but think he was not looking at his mirrors or camera at all to do this much damage but none the less, I also asked myself...."Did they not know his skill level? or give him any training?" Just sickening!!!
It's fashionable nowadays to always look for somewhere else to place blame when things go wrong. Without apology, I call BS. The blame is on the individual in the driver seat.

If he didn't have the necessary skills to operate that RV, he shouldn't have undertaken it. It's on him, not the dealership.
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #35

Here! here! ^^^^^ what ever happened to individual responsibility? Man up and admit you made a mistake and take responsibility for your actions! Don't blame the seller. It's the buyers responsibility 100% to ensure they have the wherewithal and ability to control their purchase.

How can you can sue the seller because the buyer is incompetent?
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I don't get it....! How is it the dealers fault that a motorhome buyer doesn't know how to drive what he/she is buying. If you have swimming pool built at your home, should the contractor teach you to swim? If you buy a gun is it the responsibility of the gun shop dealer to make sure you know how to use it? If you need a special skill to do something, take lessons. People need to take responsibility for themselves. Geesh!
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank goodness this thread was started so some could vent!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #38

I know this man's pain! Some years ago I purchased a brand new Chevy passenger van. First trip, down into Washington State from BC.....we are returning home, and I suggested to the Missus we fill up with gas. "Wait until we get to the border" says she. "No" says I, let's do it now". I choose a gas station, pull up to the pumps. Hop out, and discover the gas fill is on the other side of the van. Pull forward, back up behind the cashier's kiosk, cut back towards the pump. Grind and crunch, right side into a yellow post set into concrete by the corner of the kiosk. $1,000 worth of damage to side and door. As we drive home on the freeway, me deep in thought, feeling extremely sorry for myself, the missus pipes up: "Well, there's ONE good thing about this!". "What's that?" I ask. "I did not do it!"
Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!

Nick B
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Thank goodness this thread was started so some could vent!
Yeah, ain't that a hoot? "Venting" is exactly what the doctor ordered in this case, it turns out.

When political correctness sets in, and it's out there for reasonable people to see, some of them WILL "vent", to shine some light on it. Blaming this on anyone other than the driver is idiocy.
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to vandog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Saturday out looking at Class A's. Sitting in one talking with a sales rep and a guy comes in to talk with Salesman. Seems the salesman just sold him a new Class A this morning. Now this mid afternoon and the guy was taking his brand new unit out of the covered parking space that had yellow corner poles. Making a Right hand turn, he wiped out mid way all the way to the rear of his coach ruining the basement door and paint.

My wife and I were back there Monday and I asked about it, it was in the thousands to repair. I felt so so bad for this guy!! DW says to me that is why I am never going to drive ours!!

I told wife, no we will go out to a place my trainer took me when I got my CDL, set up cones, practice turns, backing & turning in spots, using your mirrors always. My years of driving for school district and with Arrow Stage Lines, the most common accident is always involving TURNS! I think has happened to most of us. I had one although it was very minor my first year driving.

My wife and I talked about what training do dealerships give new MH owners? I do not know the answer to that, just felt horrible for this guy!

The LazyDays dealerships have training for new owners. We didn't buy ours there, the major dealership we went to said here's the keys, Bye!
We were on a trip and staying in Tucson Arizona at a park and there was a LD right next door, I signed up for a 1 day course that was worth every Penney of the small fee I paid. It was a great course and I drove a 45 foot DP at the end of the day. Boy did I learn to make turns, there's a definite science to it. I'm not the driver in my family but I certainly could if I needed to!
vandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #41

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandog View Post
The LazyDays dealerships have training for new owners. We didn't buy ours there, the major dealership we went to said here's the keys, Bye!
We were on a trip and staying in Tucson Arizona at a park and there was a LD right next door, I signed up for a 1 day course that was worth every Penney of the small fee I paid. It was a great course and I drove a 45 foot DP at the end of the day. Boy did I learn to make turns, there's a definite science to it. I'm not the driver in my family but I certainly could if I needed to!
I was going to ask if anyone did the LD driving class. I am looking at getting a MH and was thinking about taking the LD class in Tampa. I drove a soda delivery truck many moons ago while I was in college, but nothing as big as MH I am looking at getting. Does anyone else have any experience with LD driving course?
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
I was going to ask if anyone did the LD driving class. I am looking at getting a MH and was thinking about taking the LD class in Tampa. I drove a soda delivery truck many moons ago while I was in college, but nothing as big as MH I am looking at getting. Does anyone else have any experience with LD driving course?

The LD driving course is very basic but very good. It's certainly a good starting point. Even long time drivers can pick up some pointers.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a