Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #1

Unclogging windshield washer

When I purchased my coach, there was a bit of buildup, algae I think, in the windshield washer tank. I didn't think much of it and topped the tank off with RainX solution.

Fast forward a few months and my driver's side sprayer is clogged. The passenger side sprays fine. The kind I have clip on to the wiper arm and spray in 4 directions.

Any suggestions on unclogging them, or where to find replacements?

Thanks,
Brian
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #2

Disconnect the hose where it hooks to the sprayer head to localize where your blockage is. If it's in the sprayer head, you can strip a piece of fine stranded copper wire, separate a strand or two and push them into the sprayer nozzle. Lube with plenty of water flowing backward through the sprayer head. The fine copper strands don't score the nozzle heads so the head will still be usable. Don't get too vigorous with the wire as some of those spray nozzles can be moved in it's plastic mount to adjust the spray pattern.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCarp View Post
When I purchased my coach, there was a bit of buildup, algae I think, in the windshield washer tank. I didn't think much of it and topped the tank off with RainX solution.

Fast forward a few months and my driver's side sprayer is clogged. The passenger side sprays fine. The kind I have clip on to the wiper arm and spray in 4 directions.

Any suggestions on unclogging them, or where to find replacements?

Thanks,
Brian

The usual method is a straight pin or sewing needle to dislodge debris in the nozzle, and compressed (canned) air to blow it back to the tank. Drain and strain the fluid, rinse the tank and drain, the return the strained fluid to the tank.

Or you can take the spray head to the big auto parts stores and probably find a direct replacement for $15-$30. If you can find a part number on the existing spray head you can search Amazon/eBay.

Good luck and safe travels!
Old 12-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #4

Just remove blow it back with air just don't blow it out of your hand into grass or dark deep recesses of the garage. You could do some wire poking as well. A drill bit by hand that fits the hose end will draw out material more the pussit in deeper. Vinegar soaking will soften a chicken bone, so may soften biomass as well.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Just remove blow it back with air just don't blow it out of your hand into grass or dark deep recesses of the garage.
That sounds like experience right there!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll try to remove the sprayer and external piece of hose today and see if I can get it cleared up.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:54 AM   #6

I tried to clean the nozzle but no luck. I found a website, midwestbusparts.com that had replacement nozzles, so it's all fixed now. Thank you all for ideas.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'd suggest using distilled water if you do any diluting of the washer fluid you're using...helps keep the algae down in the bottle.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #8

Glad you found a replacement when you couldn't get the old one to work.
Safe travels.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windshield