Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by trs80 View Post
We love the 40g. Also liked the used Dutch star bunk models (to expensive for us) and the phaeton 40qkh bunkhouse. There is a new Winnebago Forza 38w that is nice but the smaller diesel and transmission (less CCC and tow) ... It is an upgraded version of the 38r that added a slide on the driver's side making the driver's seat useful when parked.

The newer gas units have the 6spd which I hear it's an improvement. .. So you may want to drive one and see.

The discovery 40g and the Forza 38w have a nice position for the tv so the kids can watch driving down the road. We had to add one in the Georgetown because the tv was behind the side when driving, which is like that in a lot of floor models.

And another thing ... Towing in my gas loaded up i was getting 5.5-6.5 mpg (yes I could slow down some) ... That was typically 65-70 mph. So far in the discovery i am averaging over 9 ... Getting up to 11.3 on one tank. I set my cruise on 70.
We will have to go find some fleetwood and Winnebagos in our area and check them out.

So far when I did a gas vs diesel mpg cost analysis, they were really close. Don't worry, I drive like you and I like to keep up with the traffic speeds!
__________________

__________________
thegreenthre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 11:16 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
jharrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Safety Harbor, FL
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenthre View Post
If there was no difference with the driving power or breaking power, then the only difference would be a quieter drive?

What are your top 5 reasons for upgrading to a diesel?
1. Air suspension. The leaf springs on a ford gas are pretty primitive. Air suspension is less harsh and adjust to the weight being carried at each corner. Also tracks better due to track bars being required front and rear.

2. Gas mileage/ range. Diesels are more efficient and have larger fuel tanks. I can get about 500 miles on my 80 gallons, a small ISB diesel can easily get 800 miles on 90 gallons. 500 is fine usually don't do more than 400 in a day but would be nice to fill up less.

3. Diesel generator. Quieter and uses less fuel, also smaller ones (6000 & 8000) are inverter based for clean output.

4. More cargo and towing. Chassis is rated higher than gas , mine tows my keep fine but would be nice to have more capacity.

5. Quieter, engine in rear generator in front, best place for when they are used. Not a big deal gas 6 speed not that bad.

Downside is cost, basically same rv is going to be 50k more in diesel, maintenance is more too. I do my own, gas is cheap and easy to work on.

I have never felt unsafe in my gas though even in the mountains, but I did do some suspension work to tame it (CHF and trackbar).
__________________

__________________
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:33 AM   #45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NW New Jersey
Posts: 11
I have a 2015 Winnebago 36Y I'm selling

Hi Thegreenthre,

I have a 2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y that I'm selling. It's currently at a campground in New Jersey. I bought the Vista new in December at Ray Wakeley's in Erie, PA, and drove it here. It was stored in a heated garage over the winter, I took in out of storage in June, and brought it to the campground. I live locally and have my house for sale and hasn't sold yet, so I've been in the Vista on and off over the summer, but just me, don't even have anything in the cabinets. So the rig is pristine and not really lived in.

For all practical purposes it's brand new. It's got about 1500 miles on it, which represents the delivery from the factory to the dealer in Erie, and my driving it here from Erie. My plan was to head out west this winter, but due to medical issues I've had to change those plans, and I'm selling the Vista. It has a motorized drop down twin over the cab bunk. Has wood slats like a frame bed, not a plywood, so it's very comfortable. Might be what you're looking for.

Check out this YouTube walk-through of a 2015 36Y, my coach is exactly the same as this one, it has every feature as the one in the video, and it's the same color scheme inside and out. About as new as you can get.

Check out how the kitchen island is across from the huge bay window, one of the nicest features, it's a great layout.
The Vista 36Y is on a Ford Triton Chassis Gas V-10, 37 footer.
Let me know if you're have interest.
Regards.. Paul
I have a 2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y that I'm selling. It's currently at a campground in New Jersey. I bought the Vista new in December at Ray Wakeley's in Erie, PA, and drove it here. It was stored in a heated garage over the winter, I took in out of storage in June, and brought it to the campground. I live locally and have my house for sale and hasn't sold yet, so I've been in the Vista on and off over the summer, but just me, don't even have anything in the cabinets. So the rig is pristine and not really lived in.

For all practical purposes it's brand new. It's got about 1500 miles on it, which represents the delivery from the factory to the dealer in Erie, and my driving it here from Erie. My plan was to head out west this winter, but due to medical issues I've had to change those plans, and I'm selling the Vista. It has a motorized drop down twin over the cab bunk. Has wood slats like a frame bed, not a plywood, so it's very comfortable. Might be what you're looking for.

Check out this YouTube walk-through of a 2015 36Y, my coach is exactly the same as this one, it has every feature as the one in the video, and it's the same color scheme inside and out. Let me know if you have any interest. About as new as you can get.

Check out how the kitchen island is across from the huge bay window, one of the nicest features, it's a great layout.
The Vista 36Y is on a Ford Triton Chassis Gas V-10, 37 footer.
I have a 2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y that I'm selling. It's currently at a campground in New Jersey. I bought the Vista new in December at Ray Wakeley's in Erie, PA, and drove it here. It was stored in a heated garage over the winter, I took in out of storage in June, and brought it to the campground. I live locally and have my house for sale and hasn't sold yet, so I've been in the Vista on and off over the summer, but just me, don't even have anything in the cabinets. So the rig is pristine and not really lived in.

For all practical purposes it's brand new. It's got about 1500 miles on it, which represents the delivery from the factory to the dealer in Erie, and my driving it here from Erie. My plan was to head out west this winter, but due to medical issues I've had to change those plans, and I'm selling the Vista. It has the motorized StudioLoft drop down twin over the cab bunk. Has wood slats like a frame bed, not a plywood bottom, so it's very comfortable, and the 7 foot leather couch folds out to a full size bed. I originally wanted the 35B because it had the bunks, and could have bought it locally in NJ, but liked the layout and sleeping arrangements so much more in the 36Y, I drove to Erie to get this one. Might be what you're looking for.

Check out this YouTube walk-through of a 2015 36Y, my coach is exactly the same as this one, it has every feature as the one in the video, and it's the same color scheme inside and out. Let me know if you have any interest. About as new as you can get.

The Vista 36Y is on a Ford Triton Chassis Gas V-10. Check out the kitchen island across from a really huge bay window, one of the nicest features, it's a great layout. Over-under Washer/Dryer, great bedroom wardrobe, and 145 cu. ft of outside storage. 2 A/C HE Heat Pumps, MCD Blackout Shades, Corian countertops, LED lighting, King walk around bed. 50 amp electric service with 2000 watt inverter, 5500 watt Onan generator.

Let me know if you're interested.. Paul
__________________
Paul James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #46
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
1. Air suspension. The leaf springs on a ford gas are pretty primitive. Air suspension is less harsh and adjust to the weight being carried at each corner. Also tracks better due to track bars being required front and rear.

2. Gas mileage/ range. Diesels are more efficient and have larger fuel tanks. I can get about 500 miles on my 80 gallons, a small ISB diesel can easily get 800 miles on 90 gallons. 500 is fine usually don't do more than 400 in a day but would be nice to fill up less.

3. Diesel generator. Quieter and uses less fuel, also smaller ones (6000 & 8000) are inverter based for clean output.

4. More cargo and towing. Chassis is rated higher than gas , mine tows my keep fine but would be nice to have more capacity.

5. Quieter, engine in rear generator in front, best place for when they are used. Not a big deal gas 6 speed not that bad.

Downside is cost, basically same rv is going to be 50k more in diesel, maintenance is more too. I do my own, gas is cheap and easy to work on.

I have never felt unsafe in my gas though even in the mountains, but I did do some suspension work to tame it (CHF and trackbar).
Great top 5!

Your comment about high maintenance is one I share as well.

In fact, I was talking with an RV service manager and he told me that the maintenance and availability of a mechanic are not issues because the diesel engine rarely had issues, it everything else and that can be worked on by anyone.

Would you agree with the manager?
__________________
thegreenthre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #47
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul James View Post
Hi Thegreenthre,

I have a 2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y that I'm selling. It's currently at a campground in New Jersey. I bought the Vista new in December at Ray Wakeley's in Erie, PA, and drove it here. It was stored in a heated garage over the winter, I took in out of storage in June, and brought it to the campground. I live locally and have my house for sale and hasn't sold yet, so I've been in the Vista on and off over the summer, but just me, don't even have anything in the cabinets. So the rig is pristine and not really lived in.

For all practical purposes it's brand new. It's got about 1500 miles on it, which represents the delivery from the factory to the dealer in Erie, and my driving it here from Erie. My plan was to head out west this winter, but due to medical issues I've had to change those plans, and I'm selling the Vista. It has a motorized drop down twin over the cab bunk. Has wood slats like a frame bed, not a plywood, so it's very comfortable. Might be what you're looking for.

Check out this YouTube walk-through of a 2015 36Y, my coach is exactly the same as this one, it has every feature as the one in the video, and it's the same color scheme inside and out. About as new as you can get.

Check out how the kitchen island is across from the huge bay window, one of the nicest features, it's a great layout.
The Vista 36Y is on a Ford Triton Chassis Gas V-10, 37 footer.
Let me know if you're have interest.
Regards.. Paul
I have a 2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y that I'm selling. It's currently at a campground in New Jersey. I bought the Vista new in December at Ray Wakeley's in Erie, PA, and drove it here. It was stored in a heated garage over the winter, I took in out of storage in June, and brought it to the campground. I live locally and have my house for sale and hasn't sold yet, so I've been in the Vista on and off over the summer, but just me, don't even have anything in the cabinets. So the rig is pristine and not really lived in.

For all practical purposes it's brand new. It's got about 1500 miles on it, which represents the delivery from the factory to the dealer in Erie, and my driving it here from Erie. My plan was to head out west this winter, but due to medical issues I've had to change those plans, and I'm selling the Vista. It has a motorized drop down twin over the cab bunk. Has wood slats like a frame bed, not a plywood, so it's very comfortable. Might be what you're looking for.

Check out this YouTube walk-through of a 2015 36Y, my coach is exactly the same as this one, it has every feature as the one in the video, and it's the same color scheme inside and out. Let me know if you have any interest. About as new as you can get.

Check out how the kitchen island is across from the huge bay window, one of the nicest features, it's a great layout.
The Vista 36Y is on a Ford Triton Chassis Gas V-10, 37 footer.
I have a 2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y that I'm selling. It's currently at a campground in New Jersey. I bought the Vista new in December at Ray Wakeley's in Erie, PA, and drove it here. It was stored in a heated garage over the winter, I took in out of storage in June, and brought it to the campground. I live locally and have my house for sale and hasn't sold yet, so I've been in the Vista on and off over the summer, but just me, don't even have anything in the cabinets. So the rig is pristine and not really lived in.

For all practical purposes it's brand new. It's got about 1500 miles on it, which represents the delivery from the factory to the dealer in Erie, and my driving it here from Erie. My plan was to head out west this winter, but due to medical issues I've had to change those plans, and I'm selling the Vista. It has the motorized StudioLoft drop down twin over the cab bunk. Has wood slats like a frame bed, not a plywood bottom, so it's very comfortable, and the 7 foot leather couch folds out to a full size bed. I originally wanted the 35B because it had the bunks, and could have bought it locally in NJ, but liked the layout and sleeping arrangements so much more in the 36Y, I drove to Erie to get this one. Might be what you're looking for.

Check out this YouTube walk-through of a 2015 36Y, my coach is exactly the same as this one, it has every feature as the one in the video, and it's the same color scheme inside and out. Let me know if you have any interest. About as new as you can get.

The Vista 36Y is on a Ford Triton Chassis Gas V-10. Check out the kitchen island across from a really huge bay window, one of the nicest features, it's a great layout. Over-under Washer/Dryer, great bedroom wardrobe, and 145 cu. ft of outside storage. 2 A/C HE Heat Pumps, MCD Blackout Shades, Corian countertops, LED lighting, King walk around bed. 50 amp electric service with 2000 watt inverter, 5500 watt Onan generator.

Let me know if you're interested.. Paul
__________________
thegreenthre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #48
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
I have never felt unsafe in my gas though even in the mountains, but I did do some suspension work to tame it (CHF and trackbar).
What is CHF and trackbar ?
__________________
thegreenthre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #49
Junior Member
 
Blastvalve's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Northern VT
Posts: 16
I'm a little late to the discussion but wanted to chime in. Have you looked at the Winnie/Itasca Sightseer/Sunova 35J line? Although they don't have the washer hookups, they have the rest of your hit list. We recently purchased a used Sunova and have found the floorplan to be VERY family friendly (we have twin 5 year olds) and ample storage space. The length is right at your max at 35 feet. They can be a little tough to locate nearby , but there are many used ones online within your age limits.

My other thought is if the 35 feet is negotiable, check out the Fleetwood Expedition. Aside from being 2 feet over your imposed limit, it has everything you are looking for. We have some friends that lived in theirs for 5 months (with teenage girls) while relocating for work. Great floorplan and TONS of storage space.
__________________
2008 Itasca Sunova 35J "The Itascabus!"
Blastvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
jharrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Safety Harbor, FL
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenthre View Post
Great top 5!

Your comment about high maintenance is one I share as well.

In fact, I was talking with an RV service manager and he told me that the maintenance and availability of a mechanic are not issues because the diesel engine rarely had issues, it everything else and that can be worked on by anyone.

Would you agree with the manager?
My comment was more about the cost of maintenance and repairs, they are higher than gas.

I don't know what the real stats are, but just reading through this forums you will find diesels are not trouble free and the problems can sometimes be very costly and even dangerous (fire). Diesels used in MH's are well proven designs from the trucking industry, but trucks usually don't sit around for long periods of time unused. I have never heard of an engine fire with a Ford V10 gasser, not that it hasn't happened, just never heard or seen one. However you find pretty regular posts on here of Diesel's with engine fires, and I have seen one myself earlier this year on I75.

Diesel's run hotter and leaner, they have high compression ratios and turbos, they use very high pressure direct fuel injection. Diesels are very efficient because of those things, but it also is part of what can lead to catastrophic failure along with hydraulics on side radiator diesels leading to fire. Gas is normally aspirated with low pressure port injection, it's just simpler with less things to go wrong and simpler to work on.

Don't get me wrong I would love to have a diesel, I just don't fool myself into thinking it will be as simple or cheap as my gasser, and I would probably do a fire suppression system in the engine bay.
__________________
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
jharrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Safety Harbor, FL
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenthre View Post
What is CHF and trackbar ?
CHF = Cheap Handling Fix, you can read about it at length in the Ford Chassis forum. Basically its moving the links on the stock sway bars to make them stiffer which reduces body roll at the expense of some articulation. After having done it and seeing the results I am convinced the stock setting is way to soft and is a big reason for handling complaints.

Track bar or Panhard bar prevents the axle from shifting side to side on a straight axle suspension. Ford puts one on stock in the front but leaves it off in the rear, I added a rear. It reduces wander and being shoved around semis passing as the rear is shifting over the axle. These are required (or some equivalent linkage) on air bag suspension as the bags can't hold the axle in place like leaf springs basically do, but leafs do move around which is why they help there.
__________________
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #52
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
I'm a little late to the discussion but wanted to chime in. Have you looked at the Winnie/Itasca Sightseer/Sunova 35J line? Although they don't have the washer hookups, they have the rest of your hit list. We recently purchased a used Sunova and have found the floorplan to be VERY family friendly (we have twin 5 year olds) and ample storage space. The length is right at your max at 35 feet. They can be a little tough to locate nearby , but there are many used ones online within your age limits.

My other thought is if the 35 feet is negotiable, check out the Fleetwood Expedition. Aside from being 2 feet over your imposed limit, it has everything you are looking for. We have some friends that lived in theirs for 5 months (with teenage girls) while relocating for work. Great floorplan and TONS of storage space.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will start looking for some in our area.

Did you buy your motor home for full-time living? I ask because we have twins as well and we can't wait to get started on the adventure!
__________________
thegreenthre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #53
Member


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 46
Did you ever think about going with a Class C diesel such as gulfstream or dynamax?
__________________
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:09 AM   #54
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
CHF = Cheap Handling Fix, you can read about it at length in the Ford Chassis forum. Basically its moving the links on the stock sway bars to make them stiffer which reduces body roll at the expense of some articulation. After having done it and seeing the results I am convinced the stock setting is way to soft and is a big reason for handling complaints.

Track bar or Panhard bar prevents the axle from shifting side to side on a straight axle suspension. Ford puts one on stock in the front but leaves it off in the rear, I added a rear. It reduces wander and being shoved around semis passing as the rear is shifting over the axle. These are required (or some equivalent linkage) on air bag suspension as the bags can't hold the axle in place like leaf springs basically do, but leafs do move around which is why they help there.
Thanks for educating me. I will look more into this as you suggested.
__________________
thegreenthre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:11 AM   #55
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Did you ever think about going with a Class C diesel such as gulfstream or dynamax?
We did and it is the way to go because getting to all the components is much easier. However you lose a lot of storage and they cost as much as a Class A. P

There are just not enough benefits for us.
__________________
thegreenthre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
luvlabs's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 1,530
You need to start ranking your needs because after reading most of your posts, it is really confusing as to what you really need vs. what you want. Also, how do you plan using this coach. Are you planning on multiple, short trips on weekends, vacations a couple of times a year, or long multiple month trips throughout the year, or even fulltiming. Unless you are going to really use the coach, I'd stick with gas.

For example:

- 35 ft length - is this a want or a need? The length that a manufacture puts in a description bears no relationship to the actual length. If this is a need because of physical dimensions of a parking space, then you are already in trouble. If you have some notions that it is easier to drive a 35 ft coach than a 40 ft coach, then you are mistaken.

- Washer/dryers - the best ones are stacked (separate washer and dryer) but they are not normally offered in gas coaches. BTW, an empty gray tank will hold the water from two loads of wash. You really should be connected to sewer with your gray tank valve open when using the washer. These washer/dryers are best for two people. If you have a ton of laundry, a commercial laundromat will do a better job in less time. So, a need or a want?

As to coaches to look at, Tiffin has a new bunkhouse model, with washer and dryer, for 2017. The model is an Allegro 34PA. This is on a Ford 26K lb chassis. The older 35 QBA is available as well. Diesel bunkhouses from Tiffin are longer (Allegro RED 38QBA and Phaeton 40QKH) but have much more in the way of "goodies" than a gas powered coach. Except for the new model, these should all be available in the used market as well.
__________________

__________________
Roger & Mary
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit toad
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bumping under drivers feet? homeless Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 8 05-29-2016 01:40 PM
Why so few class C's with bunk under 23 feet these days? wanderso MH-General Discussions & Problems 10 05-11-2015 08:25 AM
If it wasn't for bad luck...I'd have no luck at all! cenfl Newmar Owner's Forum 9 12-29-2014 06:29 PM
Which 5er under 30 feet? JIM ALLEN Boondocking 7 09-30-2005 04:06 PM
Bad luck, good luck smlranger Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 1 04-20-2005 05:10 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.