Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #1

Under 35 Feet with Bunkhouse = No Luck

The adventure has begun!

My family talked about it, thought about it and then we committed to a date. In 2018 we are moving into an Class A motorhome for a 2 year adventure to explore America.

Now the planning starts and I need your helpful advice.

We have looked at the below brands and all the models we could find but so far we have not found any that meet our criteria.

High Quality:
Tiffin
Winnebago
Newmar

Mid Level Quality:
Jayco
Fleetwood

Entry Level Quality:
Thor
Forest River
Coachman

We are looking for:
Class A (gas or diesel)
New or used (no older than 5 years)
Between 30-35 feet
With a bunkhouse
WIth washer and dryer hookups

I would love you advice on what brands and models we should look at that have these features or perhaps one that can be modified (turn closet into bunkhouse).

Thank you for the help.

We can't wait to take you on this adventure with us!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #2

Some friends rented a brand new Fleetwood Terra in 2009. I kinda remember it had two bunk beds and bedroom, and was around 35 ft. Maybe the floor plan was discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenthre View Post
The adventure has begun!

My family talked about it, thought about it and then we committed to a date. In 2018 we are moving into an Class A motorhome for a 2 year adventure to explore America.

We have looked at the below brands and all the models we could find but so far we have not found any that meet our criteria.

High Quality:
Tiffin
Winnebago
Newmar

Mid Level Quality:
Jayco
Fleetwood

Entry Level Quality:
Thor
Forest River
Coachman

We are looking for:
Class A (gas or diesel)
Between 30-35 feet
With a bunkhouse

I would love you advice on what brands and models we should look at that have these features or perhaps one that can be modified (turn closet into bunkhouse).

Thank you for the help.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winnebago vista 35B is a bath and 1/2 with bunks, actually 36 ft though
Old 10-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #4

Under 35' with bunks and washer dryer is a tough one, the closest I can think of is a Fleetwood Excursion/Pace Arrow 35e, buts its actually 36' 9".

No washer dryer and there are more options,
Thor Pallazzo 33.3, Thor ACE 30.3 and what I have which is a Winnebago Vista 31be.

Went cross country with the kids and it was great, I like being at 31 ft.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:44 AM   #5

I have a 2011 Holiday Rambler Admiral 34SBD (Bunkhouse). Check out the HR site and look at the archives. Mine is built on a 24K chassis (vs 22K). I did lots of research and picked this one for several reasons: 24K chassis, bunks, fiberglass roof without rubber seams, end windows in main slide, storage compartments part of chassis- not the slide, fit and finish. The 24 K chassis rides and handles better than the 22K. IF you want I can e-mail some pictures. Thanks
Old 10-03-2016, 07:37 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The "twin" to the HR Admiral is the Monaco Monarch. Look for the SBD Monarchs, as well. I found four 34SBDs on RVtrader.com.

As far as the washing machine goes, three things to keep in mind:

1) You may be able to put one in an existing coach by giving up some interior storage space. That's what our coach's original owners did.

2) Combined washer/dryers can hold only small loads, and take a long time to dry. Our Splendide 2100 is suitable (in my opinion) for a couple.

3) Washing clothes puts water into the grey tank, which is the tank most likely to fill first.

If I had a family, I'd use larger machines at campgrounds or laundromats. Save the space inside the coach and in the grey water tank(s) for better purposes.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #7
Happy Traveler : )

probably not a Class A Bunkhouse with Washer/Dryer in the 35' or less range...

but, when you get to 36'+ you have these GAS options:

Forest River Georgetown 364TS is 37'6"
Forest River Coachmen Sportscoach 361BH is 36'6"
Jayco Precept 36T is 38'2"

...the reason is that the practicality of enough 'room' within a shorter coach for BOTH bunks and a place for a w/d combo unit is zilch, especially if you consider that longer coaches with REAR bathrooms is the typical placement for a w/d combo unit.

You have MANY MANY more floorplans and coach styles options if you can live without a w/d combo, as we do...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:

WIth washer and dryer hookups[/I]
Most RV parks and cities/towns have washer/dryers. They are good places to meet people and add to the adventure.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #9

Quote:
The adventure has begun!

High Quality:
Tiffin
Winnebago
Newmar

Mid Level Quality:
Jayco
Fleetwood

Entry Level Quality:
Thor
Forest River
Coachman

We are looking for:
Class A (gas or diesel)
Between 30-35 feet
With a bunkhouse

Thank you for the help.

What about the Fleetwood Storm 32BH? The BH suffix on the Storms means bunk house. Tons of those on the market, both new and used. Here's a newer one I found just with a quick Google, although there are many more.

http://www.rvt.com/Fleetwood-Storm-3...689022-UX76805

I have the non-bunkhouse version, 2011, and really like my rig. Fleetwood has been pretty responsive with my tech support questions as well.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Some friends rented a brand new Fleetwood Terra in 2009. I kinda remember it had two bunk beds and bedroom, and was around 35 ft. Maybe the floor plan was discontinued.
George thanks for pointing out the Terra. The 31 footer has a Bunkhouse. Still looking for washer connections.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by opbart1 View Post
Winnebago vista 35B is a bath and 1/2 with bunks, actually 36 ft though
The Vista is nice and we don't mind going the 36 feet. Now if we could only find the washer hookups.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Under 35' with bunks and washer dryer is a tough one, the closest I can think of is a Fleetwood Excursion/Pace Arrow 35e, buts its actually 36' 9".

No washer dryer and there are more options,
Thor Pallazzo 33.3, Thor ACE 30.3 and what I have which is a Winnebago Vista 31be.

Went cross country with the kids and it was great, I like being at 31 ft.
How old were your kids when you went on your road trip? We like the shorter ones as well but 36 is doable.

We looked at all the models you suggested and so far no luck with washer hookups.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRAMBLR View Post
I have a 2011 Holiday Rambler Admiral 34SBD (Bunkhouse). Check out the HR site and look at the archives. Mine is built on a 24K chassis (vs 22K). I did lots of research and picked this one for several reasons: 24K chassis, bunks, fiberglass roof without rubber seams, end windows in main slide, storage compartments part of chassis- not the slide, fit and finish. The 24 K chassis rides and handles better than the 22K. IF you want I can e-mail some pictures. Thanks
Thanks for introducing me to this brand. I have looked into this company but now I will!

Did your model have washer hookups?

The 32H is a nice setup.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
The "twin" to the HR Admiral is the Monaco Monarch. Look for the SBD Monarchs, as well. I found four 34SBDs on RVtrader.com.

As far as the washing machine goes, three things to keep in mind:

1) You may be able to put one in an existing coach by giving up some interior storage space. That's what our coach's original owners did.

2) Combined washer/dryers can hold only small loads, and take a long time to dry. Our Splendide 2100 is suitable (in my opinion) for a couple.

3) Washing clothes puts water into the grey tank, which is the tank most likely to fill first.

If I had a family, I'd use larger machines at campgrounds or laundromats. Save the space inside the coach and in the grey water tank(s) for better purposes.
Wow the Monaco brand is nice!

Thanks for the advice on the grey tank filling up. How many loads would it take for your tank to fill up?

We are talking about using the camp site laundry mat but if we had hookups we could save time.