Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #1

understanding aqua-hot??

Trying to understand the aqua-hot system...

Is the aqua-hot fluid that is used for heating separate from the fluid used in the engine? I had a small leak, and the engine coolant is low as well as the level in the aqua-hot expansion tank. The leak was in the hose connection to the engine-warming part of the system and was leaking a reddish colored fluid, not the usual green engine fluid.?

I fixed the leak and now I need to top up the fluids. What do I use? Always used regular green diesel coolant in my Cummins engines before. Now I'm confused. Could someone comment on the coolant/antifreeze types used?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
YES. IF your AH has the engine pre-heat then it will circulate AH mixture "through" the engine (but separate from the engine's coolant). AH uses boiler antifreeze/antiboil fluid. It is pink and non-toxic BUT different than the pink winterizing fluid.

Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #3

Thanks for clarifying that. So I need to top-up the pink boiler fluid in the AH expansion tank as well as the engine coolant.

One thing I don't understand is where the AH pre-heat fluid goes in the engine.? I'm quite familiar with Cummins but never knew of any other water jacket in the block where another fluid could flow to warm the engine, separate from the regular engine coolant.

Also, any idea where this pink boiler fluid is available other than a big RV dealer? I have no dealer close to me.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #4

Camco boiler anti freeze...... Amazon. (1 location)
Old 05-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I found the AH pink boiler fluid at a Menard's in South Dakota and also an industrial Heating and Cooling shop. The AH pink boiler fluid only goes into the AH system, it should be near the AH system, you don't use this fluid in the Cummins coolant.

I would contact AH and see if they have a dealer near you if you don't have time to wait for it to be shipped. I had a clamp break and lost all my fluid in freezing temperatures so I had to find it immediately. Good Luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #6

i believe a 1996 aqua hot system will use standard glycol antifreeze not boiler type.
you may want to call aqua hot to confirm. you do not want to mix them
Old 05-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Which model of Aqua-Hot do you have?

Jimmy F
Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #8

Aqua-hot #431/12 which comes up as AHE-100-02S when I download the owners manual.

I found a source for the boiler fluid. Is this like automotive antifreeze in that it's mixed with water, or do I use it undiluted from the jugs? Not sure how much to buy.

EDIT: I found an installation manual. It refers to 50/50 mix and 15 gallon capacity. This just had a small leak and is not up in the expansion tank now so I think I'll just get a couple jugs and see where that gets me.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same Aqua-Hot unit that you have.

The Aqua-Hot tank is an exclusive self-contained system that has a mixture of environmentally safe propylene glycol mixed with distilled water, 50/50. I use the Sierra stuff sold by NAPA Auto Parts.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...091_0006406839

Then inside the Aqua-Hot tank are two separate loops. One is for water and it provides hot water to your coach and the other loop goes to your engine and is called the Motor-Aide.

The coolant mixture in the engine loop will NEVER mix with the coolant mixture in your Aqua-Hot unless you have a Motor-Aide loop leak inside the Aqua-Hot tank.

Also, the fresh water loop NEVER mixes with either one of the coolant loops. All three loops are separate from one another.

I would recommend joining the Hydronic Heating discussion forum run by Roger Berke who is one of the country's leading repair technicians for Aqua-Hot units.

Forum Rv Hydronic Heater Repair - Welcome

You won't be sorry that you did. There is a wealth of knowledge to be had from the group.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Yes that model uses regular automotive antifreeze, although you could if you wish flush the system out and put in a propylene glycol boiler antifreeze if you wanted to go non toxic. With these units the domestic water heating coil is on the outside of the boiler so it is not as critical to use the propylene glycol as with the newer units.

The whole Aqua Hot takes about 16 gallons but if you are only topping up the expansion tank you would only need a bit. I always carry a gallon of 50/50 mix with me to top up as required.

On that model, as with the other models, the engine preheat loop is separate and not combined with the aqua hot antifreeze; so if your engine tank is low, top up with what ever has been used for the engine.

Did you get all the manuals off line? There is the owners manual, the installation manual, and I believe the parts manual....all have good information in them and handy to have.

Jimmy F
Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2012 Tour and the fluid is green. Manual says not to mix etc,.

Model 525....now what ?

Kerry
Old 05-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
We have a 2012 Tour and the fluid is green. Manual says not to mix etc,.

Model 525....now what ?

Kerry
Call either Winnie or AquaHot and ask them. There have been a number of coolants used over the years. The only "do not mix" I'm aware of is not to mix toxic with non- toxic.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Steve: While at Quartzsite saw Camco (the pink stuff") added to the non-pressurized overflow tank. Turned it a ugly brown. Owner upset even if nothing is wrong.
Pulled up the on-line manual (page 12 & 16) and apparently Dr4Film is correct, even for later models. All the warnings are: Don't drink the automotive anti-freeze.

I wonder how I lived so long without that warning ?? Going to the Winnie Rally in July and get it from the horses mouth. I'm okay for now.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy F View Post

With these units the domestic water heating coil is on the outside of the boiler so it is not as critical to use the propylene glycol as with the newer units.

Jimmy F
Jimmy F,

I am not an expert like Roger Berke however, for the life of me I am having difficulty understanding how the domestic hot water will get HOT if it is on the outside of the boiler and not inside.

Please explain.

To my knowledge, the boiler coolant mixture is heated by the Webasto burner and the electric heating element which then transfers the heat to the domestic hot water loop which wanders inside the boiler coolant mixture.

Dr4Film ----- Richard