Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #1

Unknown Loose Connector

I was in the process of some maintenance I took the back dash off to get to some wires and came across a white four pin connector that was unplugged. It has three yellow and one wires connecting into one with two yellow and two white wires. The bundle of wires comes up from the frame and then split off to the Gen switch, front fans , slide switch, battery cut-off and the unkown connector. The other side of the connector heads back down under the dash. We just bought the MH 2 months ago and the front dash switch for the dinette slide did not work. I assumed this was the problem but got to noticing that the wires did not lead to the slide switch. I went ahead and plugged it in and noticed nothing different. Turned everything thing off and when I went out this morning the house battery were down to 6.6 volts, so something drained them overnight. Do any of you have any idea as to the identity of the unplugged connector? Iím including a photo but I barely got the connector at the very bottom of the pic. Iím assuming that the reason itís unplugged because there is a drain to the system. But is it to the slide switch? Any help would be appreciated by you guys.

P/S I check with a volt meter and none of the wires are hot on either side. Thanks again
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2749.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	39317  

ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #2

I can't see enough of the printing on any of the yellow wires to tell if the lettering on them is all the same or if the lettering contains a code that would identify a circuit. If the lettering is different then there is a code involved , get all the codes from the wires in the white connector and phone Winny, for help.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
They often use a generic wiring harness that has plugs for many things your unit doesn't have. -- Mine has a plug labeled 'fog lights' and a few more just bundled up under the dash. I'd check the appropriate Winne wiring diagram:

Wiring Diagrams

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #4

Unplug what you plugged in. At least until you can come up with a correct explanation as to what it goes to. Sometimes things like this are left unplugged for a reason. May be an added option....
Old 05-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It might be that you just added the nail to the batteries. At that voltage they are probably toast and most likely were shot anyway. It could be your batteries were low and plugging the switch in would have worked if they were up.

I would start with fixing the battery issue first. With batteries that low you will put a huge load on your charger and could even damage it if the batteries are indeed toast.

I would put them on a stand alone charger and then have them load tested. Be sure to take a picture of the battery compartment to be sure you get all the wires back on properly.

Once you have working batteries other things may come alive. Always fix the obvious first and mysterious issue often go away,.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #6

Thanks to all that responded. Being new to the game I didn't think about the numbers on the wires containing a code. I know several others are marked with tags. I'll pry it apart again and check that out.

As to the batteries. The seller put all new batteries on when I bought it so I don't really think that is the problem but then again, never say never. I did consider the idea of the coach having extra plugs for unknown options so I did leave them unplugged. As to the non functions slide switch I'm at a loss. We're leaving town in a couple of days so that can wait for another day since the switch in the galley is only a few steps away. hopefully in the future I can be of assistance to someone as you have been to me. I'll keep reading and learning. Thanks again.

My doctor wanted to know how I lost weight, I told him we bought a motorhome!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
I assume you have a second switch to control the slide besides the dash switch? Before connecting more wires to the back of the switch I'd check that the switch is good. Perhaps it was disconnected because it malfunctioned.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
ecurb74......Where/how did you get the 6.6 reading on the batts....from a volt meter, built in meter on coach? If you have 6 volt batteries and you checked one battery with a meter, you will see 6.6 volts.

Also, check power to that plug with the ignition switch on. It may be a keyed accessory.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #9

Don, I got it from the control panel in the hall. I tried starting the gen and i heard it beeping at me so I checked the house battery and it gave me 6.6 ......The house batteries are 2X 12v
Old 05-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
More proof of the old axiom "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". From the left side panel to the dash and then to the radio area we have at least 20 plugs that are not connected - some labeled - some not. Wouldn't dream of plugging them in to something just to see the smoke rise!
Former electronic tech......

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote