Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #15

I am with you on the fact that you worry about someone driving your rig because I do too. In fact when mine has had to be taken someplace else to do the service, I drive it there. I am so bad that I even ride with them in the lot to fill the propane if I don't know the service guy. I have nothing against the service guy, I just want to know that he knows and cares enough about my coach and my business to keep me happy. My husband and I have worked hard to get to this stage in our life to have and enjoy our "roadhouse", so call me crazy because I respect other people's possessions and I want the same from them. Knock on wood because all service on mine has been good. Of course it doesn't hurt that I sometime bring donuts or candy to the service dept. as an extra thanks for taking care of me and my coach. They deserve it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
Picking up my coach after getting a brake controller installed, some service guys were in the process of taking a couple tag axle coaches to freightliner for service. This RV service center takes all Freightliner service work to the freightliner dealer north of town. (i.e oil changes, chassis service etc up a bumper to bumper interstate.) The kid they had drive the coach was someone I wouldnt let drive my Polaris ATV. He was a 20 year old kid that didnt have any license over the basic drivers license. (I asked) Gang tattoos, gold teeth, the works. I think its awesome the kids is working and has a job, but if you saw him on the street you would immediately think gang banger, and expect him to be driving a Honda with neon lights and a big fart can muffler. I brought it up to the service manager that I can guarantee the kid driving the 250K+ Winnebago tag axle didnt have a Class B license. They didnt think he needed one and away he went. It was so blatent that I couldnt believe it. I told then that if he had a wreck, someone would be owning the dealership. Based on how they were dealt with this, I can guarantee no one there can legally drive a coach off the lot. If you take your coach in for service, you might want to ask if anyone has a proper license to drive the thing...

I have some friends at Texas DPS and a news station that I am thinking about calling. I watched this kid trying to figure things out as he was sitting behind the wheel. Windshield wipers came on etc and couldnt believe it. To put things in perspective, the road he had to travel (I35) is the busiest road in Central Texas

How hard is it for a business that deals daily with RV's to have at least one licensed driver (that has a reasonable appearance) drive customer's RV's to the nearest Freightliner dealer? Is that too much to ask of a business?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Laws vary from state to state but I believe if you are paid to drive the vehicle, (And a Vehicle porter is so paid) you must have either a chauffer's license or the proper CDL.

I do know Texas law is different from the state I know best however..

But you are quite correct to notify the authorities.. If, as you believe, the "kid" is not properly licensed to operate your Motor home, then they need to know,

And if you are wrong.. Well that's why God invented trash cans and I"m sure the Department of Motor Vehicles has a few of those lying about.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I think the OP could have addressed his concerns about the lack of proper license and the dealers 'I don't care' attitude. I don't think trashing the young man trying to work and make an honest living were necessary.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
I think the OP could have addressed his concerns about the lack of proper license and the dealers 'I don't care' attitude. I don't think trashing the young man trying to work and make an honest living were necessary.
I totally agree. Once the management of the business was advised about the need for proper licensing, then it's up to them to either comply with the law or not. If you're unhappy with the way they do business, go elsewhere.

Furthermore, I think "notifying the authorities" is going just a little too far...and a news station?? Really? You think a television station is going to consider that a newsworthy event? Geesh.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I totally agree. Once the management of the business was advised about the need for proper licensing, then it's up to them to either comply with the law or not. If you're unhappy with the way they do business, go elsewhere.

Furthermore, I think "notifying the authorities" is going just a little too far...and a news station?? Really? You think a television station is going to consider that a newsworthy event? Geesh.

Both very well said.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X3 what SarahW said.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
As former Ohio village police officer. I honestly wish we had a Federal standard
For all the states operators lics. like the CDLs are.
It would be nice and simple then.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Judging by appearance is a very slippery slope. As he father of a 6'3" young man covered in tribal tattoos and huge rings in his ear lobes I am aware of the pain of being judged. He was totally embraced by his SoCal neighbors when they found out that he was awarded the USMC Drill instructor of the year and 100% disabled from being blown out of a humvee on his tour in Afganistan. Obviously the license bit is valid and shows that dealerships are hostile environments.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe that in any state you need a class A or B CDL to drive a MH for delivery.That may also pertain to the folks that use a p/u to haul TTs or fivers for dealer delivery.That wouldmean that in Texas,that young man wiould need a CDL to drive that coach.I think.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsteele View Post
Judging by appearance is a very slippery slope. As he father of a 6'3" young man covered in tribal tattoos and huge rings in his ear lobes I am aware of the pain of being judged. He was totally embraced by his SoCal neighbors when they found out that he was awarded the USMC Drill instructor of the year and 100% disabled from being blown out of a humvee on his tour in Afganistan. Obviously the license bit is valid and shows that dealerships are hostile environments.
Thank your son for his service please.

I also know the young people are not the only ones plastering their bodies with tatoos. I have a friend who is close to 60 and her arms, legs and wherever are covered in tatoos. She is a good person regardless of how she looks, but many people judge her harshly, even the people who attend the same chuch she does. How sad.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #26

I hate it when people judge me by my appearance, over 50, over weight, loose fitting comfortable clothes...they just don't realize that while I'm resigned to the fact I look my age I'll be damned if I'll act it!

I've been a salesman all my life, judgment about people is essential to what I do. That means assessing what they are likely to think or do under the circumstances, the better I am at it the more likely I can not just get the deal, but I can expedite it so I don't have to work to hard.

Age, how tall someone is, their skin or hair colour, how much the weigh, these things influence our attitude towards someone, but the are really not that useful. How someone dresses, their tattoos or piercings, haircuts, glasses, jewelry, these are are things we choose to present our image of ourselves to the world, and there is a huge amount of useful information in them.

If someone dresses like a gangster it is how they want to be perceived.

And yes the young man should have the correct license and if he doesn't you should not let them let him drive your coach.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #27

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
As former Ohio village police officer. I honestly wish we had a Federal standard
For all the states operators lics. like the CDLs are.
It would be nice and simple then.
That should be true of all laws. Having each jurisdiction have its own set of laws worked fine back when most people never strayed more than ten miles from where they were born and towns were twenty miles or more apart but in today's fluid and mobile society, it causes nothing but chaos.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #28

If we all got judged by appearances - most RV drivers over 70 don't look like they should drive at all let alone those big 'ol motorhomes.

Tags
service