Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #29
Tiffin Owners Club
While I think you had good reason to question the kid driving your coach I am reminded that the car that I drove when in my very early 20s didn't have lights under it but it did have fender skirts and a spinner knob on the steering wheel. BTW I was also flying some pretty nice airplanes about that time.

Del & Charlotte
RVing - Time well wasted
2004 Phaeton 40TGH w/ 2010 Acadia
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #30
Originally Posted by distaff
I hate it when people judge me by my appearance, over 50, over weight, loose fitting comfortable clothes...they just don't realize that while I'm resigned to the fact I look my age I'll be damned if I'll act it!

I've been a salesman all my life, judgment about people is essential to what I do. That means assessing what they are likely to think or do under the circumstances, the better I am at it the more likely I can not just get the deal, but I can expedite it so I don't have to work to hard.

Age, how tall someone is, their skin or hair colour, how much the weigh, these things influence our attitude towards someone, but the are really not that useful. How someone dresses, their tattoos or piercings, haircuts, glasses, jewelry, these are are things we choose to present our image of ourselves to the world, and there is a huge amount of useful information in them.

If someone dresses like a gangster it is how they want to be perceived.

And yes the young man should have the correct license and if he doesn't you should not let them let him drive your coach.
How many people take on an "odd" appearance just to rebel against the accepted norm? I know I never had piercings or any sort of tattoos ever, I don't like them. But I had hair long enough to almost touch my belt at one time and I've never "partied" in my life or smoked a cigarette ever.
I don't think I've ever hugged a tree either.

2004 Fleetwood Discovery 3126 CAT engine
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #31
Hey Bee950 just thought I'd add my two cents. In Maryland where I live we have to have a class B to drive a motor home. My dealer had all his Tecs and sales people get the class B so they could drive motor home. The fact that the service center brushed you off when you said something to them says a lot about them I thing you should do whatever you feel is right. The fact you said what the kid looked like who cares looks to me like everyone missed what you where writing about. Just saying I'm with you
Beacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #32
Thanks Beacher

Mentioning the kid added to the story about how unprofesional the dealer was. That and the fact that he looked like a total dirt bag. I am sure on his block (cell or other otherwise) he is a boyscout. If he had a uniform shirt on instead of the "street atire" I might have thought a little more highly of him. To each his own
Bee950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #33
I always say you can fix stupid lol
Old 03-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #34
Sorry meant to say you can't fix stupid lol
Old 03-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #35
Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
I do hope people don't judge me by how I drive. My Suzuki has the indicators on the right, wipers on the left. Mirada has them the other way round (sort of). I often clean the windows when turning .
Graham Gracie in a 1999 Mirada, V10 Petrol. New Zealand, Suzuki Escudo 2001 2.5L V6. Mini poodle, Pierre and mini schnauzer, Maddie.
GSGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #36
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding the comment that a company should at least know the rules to protect their customers... True, and I might add their owners too.. The same people who issued that Class B license to the person above who is legal.. Also issued the license to operate to the Dealer, and just like the Class B, the license to sell and service... can be revoked.

As to appearances...

I used to have a friend,, By his manner and his apperance (Always neat by the way) after shaking hands you tended to count your fingers to be sure they were all there.

And as it turns out he was, at one time, one of the biggest buyers of illegal narcotics in S.E. Michigan.. problem is he could not seem to keep a supplier, all his suppliers kept going out of business.

Wonder if that was because his job title was TROOPER and his employer (Like mine) was the State of Michigan, Department of State Police. (I was his dispatcher for a period, before and after his stint in Narcotics). Suffice to say he was one of the best Narcotis team ever had.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #37
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by JimmyLeggett View Post
I had my astoria in Camping World fort worth a couple of days ago. Most of the techs in the shop are reasonably qualified to drive most rigs but if uncomfortable will ask for help. Camping world is co-located with McClain's RV Fort Worth and only one sales person knew a Class B license was required for most big diesel pushers. The business manager was trying to work me a deal on a Fleetwood tag axle and I asked if any special license was required and he said my regular license was all I needed. He was surprised when I informed him of the license requirements for anything over 26000 pounds, He immediately sent out a message to all the McClains stores in texas to alert them.
the McClain over in Denton, has very capable techs doing the rigs moves in and out of the garages....for road tests there were only two that were qualified...by qualified i have no idea what is was or if its a McClain thing. but last time there we needed a test drive and our long time tech had to get a "special Porter" to take it and him up on the road.

made me feel better,
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #38
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
Before this turnes into a thread about what state requires what, (again) Texas does require a class license and this dealer when notified didnt care that much...
If this a major concern, I wouldn't do business with them.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #39
The laws for what that young man was doing do not vary from state to state. Any reference to a non-commercial class B license endorsement also do not apply. What he is doing is acting as a commercial driver (being paid to drive) and the CDL which is a Federal regulation applies. Not only does he need a CDL but in order for his CDL to be valid he needs to have in his posession a current DOT physical card just like any other commercial driver whether its a bus or a truck.

jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #40
Thor Owners Club
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
I think the OP could have addressed his concerns about the lack of proper license and the dealers 'I don't care' attitude. I don't think trashing the young man trying to work and make an honest living were necessary.
Brenda... My thoughts exactly.... if we judged people and disqualified them because of a tat, piercing or purple hair this would be a SAD world.
I own a successful retail business and I would hire any person that was qualified... Short, Tall, Fat, Skinny, Ugly, Beautiful as long as they were quailified. And the wipers coming on does not make him unfit to drive...
Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #41
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Brenda... My thoughts exactly.... if we judged people and disqualified them because of a tat, piercing or purple hair this would be a SAD world.
I own a successful retail business and I would hire any person that was qualified... Short, Tall, Fat, Skinny, Ugly, Beautiful as long as they were quailified. And the wipers coming on does not make him unfit to drive...
You are absolutely correct....All that should matter is "qualified for the job". In this instance the first qualifier would be a commercial operators license. In the second instance I tend to sympathize with the OP.

Anyone who deals with the public (it could be argued that this young man does not nor is not expected to deal directly with the customer) needs to understand that "appearance" is part of being qualified. Of course this is my opinion and nothing more.

However, if your staff is scruffy, untidy, unhygienic , covered in piercings & body art...then I will take my business elsewhere. Just me & this is a free country so each to their own. Regardless, I think we do our children a disservice if we do not help them to understand that they "will" (rightly or wrongly) be judged on their appearance & presentation. In some cases they will be denied employment, opportunities & advancement.
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think age or appearance really plays a factor here. I've seen people pushing 90 with poor vision, reaction time and using walkers step out of a 40' coach pulling a 20' trailer -- a jaw dropping sight to see.

I'm opposed to big government, but I think ANYONE who gets behind the wheel of a 30,000+lb vehicle should be qualified to do so -- and I think we're seeing that requirement more and more. It's unnerving to see the number of people who get behind the wheel having no knowledge whatsoever, being guided by an avery dot on the windshield for lane placement.

So, I agree with the premise... an unqualified person behind the wheel. I couldn't care less if they're 20, 40, 60, long hair, short hair, skinny, fat. Unqualified is unqualified. Who knows, that gang banger could be more "qualified" than the coach owner.

2007 Newmar Mountain Aire - 4528, Custom
24' ATC Enclosed Car Hauler
LindyT is offline   Reply With Quote