Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
In TN you still only need a regular license to drive a MH. Key words are,

"(8) Commercial Driver License means a license issued by the Department in accordance with the standards contained in 49 Code of Federal Regulation (C.F.R.) §§383 (1992) and 391 (1989) to an individual which gives the authorization to operate a class of commercial motor vehicle.
(9) Commercial Motor Vehicle means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle:"

"(Rule 1340-1-13-.02, continued) April, 2008 (Revised) 6
(40) Recreational Vehicle means every motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters for recreational camping or travel, as defined in American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standards A 119.2 and A 119.5. The basic entities are: travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and park trailer." (page 6)

"(Rule 1340-1-13-.07, continued)
April, 2008 (Revised) 15
and National Guard military technicians or civilians who are required to wear military uniforms and are subject to the code of military justice;
(d) Vehicles designed and used primarily as recreational vehicles as defined in 1340-1-13- .02; or
(e) Vehicles leased strictly and exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members for non-business purposes.
(3) Drivers who operate the vehicles described in subpart (2) above must comply with all requirements specified elsewhere in 1340-1-13-.03 and 1340-1-13-.04 for a Class D license with the proper endorsement." (page 15)

http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1340/1340-01/1340-01-13.pdf

In TN, he would be able to transfer your coach from anywhere to anywhere without CDL as the motor vehicle is not being used as explained in first quote, therefore, imho, he is not subject to CDL requirements.
I am not a legal expert nor law enforcement, just a regular guy trying to make sense out of the rules to make a living, afford my kids college with a bit left over to put fuel in the MH to take a ride.
If varying states are requesting CDL type DL tests, are they also requesting medical cards and log books?
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #44

I've worked for a few auto dealers in my life. "Lot Boys" run the cars around town for various sublet repairs, and are usually quite young and inexperienced. We had one who managed to total out a brand new car in a 30 MPH zone in front of the dealership. He wasn't seriously hurt, and got fired on the spot.

He was replaced a few days later by another "Kid". Go figure.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #45

This was in TEXAS, not Tennessee.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
This was in TEXAS, not Tennessee.
From TX CDL Handbook

#4 is what I saw.

Who is exempt from a CDL? (Certification form CDL-2 required)
Persons operating the following vehicles are exempt from a Commercial Driver License:
1. A vehicle that is controlled and operated by a farmer; and used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from a farm; and not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier; and used within 150 air miles of the person’s farm.
2. A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle necessary to the preservation of life or property or the execution of emergency governmental functions, whether operated by an
employee of a political subdivision or by a volunteer fire fighter (this includes operators of industrial emergency vehicles);
3. A military vehicle, when operated for military purposes by military personnel, members of the Reserves and National Guard on active duty, including personnel on full-time National Guard duty, personnel on part-time
training, and National Guard military technicians; or
4. A recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use.
Law may have changed since this handbook was published, but I found it through the state's web page.
So TX wants you to take a test for CDL (written and driving) for a "personal use vehicle", but they call it a NON-CDL? 50 states all with 50 different ways to do the same thing all based on how much revenue it will gather for them.
How does that work for one who has driven his RV pulling toad for years and then woke up one morning and couldn't do that anymore without going through a new license process? Looks like you lost more in TX than just the Alamo.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #47

Texas Boomers Club
Yes, a Texas RV operated for private use (i.e., the owner of that RV) does NOT require a CDL. They're not participating in commercial activity. That's spelled out under the Texas Transportation Code, Section 522.

But you can't stop there. Non-CDL licenses in Texas are covered in Section 521 of the Texas Transportation Code. THAT is where the requirement for a Class A or Class B (depending on the GVWR of the towed load) license comes into play for 26,000+ lb RVs.

In THIS case, the young man and his employer were arguably engaged in commercial activity, so a CDL may well be required. I'll leave that to others to decide, however.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #48

We didnt loose the ability to research....
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #49
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rusty,
Do you feel as I feel, like "beating a dead horse?"
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #50

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Rusty,
Do you feel as I feel, like "beating a dead horse?"
Pretty much......

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #51

Quote:
"Lot Boys" run the cars around town for various sublet repairs, and are usually quite young and inexperienced
Not saying it is right, but I agree this has been going on for a long time. When I was 14 I got a "gopher" job at a local auto garage. One of my main jobs was to go to a customer's house or work and drive their car to the garage for service and then return it after the work was done. I was 14. Legal driving age was 16. Cars I picked included 60s muscle cars, vettes, cobras, top of the line caddys and Imperials. No motorhomes or busses, though.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #52

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Short (and true) story... My partner back in my dispatching days was a young lady (Well my age) who once visited her former favorite beauty parlor, The owner had a no-account nephew kid working for her as a general whatever (Gopher included) and he "Borrowed" my partner's car (Without her permission) to run an errand or two... Well she sat him down and called the office.. Dispatcher sent (At her request for the two BIGGEST troopers in the post) a couple I know well.. The smaller of them gives quartermaster fits, you see, when he flexes his arm just right,... the seams pop on his uniform shirt.. Well he went in and played "Bad cop" finaly saying "I'd better get out of her before I do something we'll both reget" (Bust out laughing in case you wonder what he was worried about) The kid is sitting there "I'm glad they don't come any bigger than him"

Then his partner ducked, in order to clear the header on the door, as he entered the room. (Turns out they DO come bigger ).

The kid was not taken to jail.. Though I think he had to go home for .. Well clean you know what.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Short (and true) story... My partner back in my dispatching days was a young lady (Well my age)

----------------BIG SNIP ______________

The kid was not taken to jail.. Though I think he had to go home for .. Well clean you know what.
When I lived at the very north end of I-75 in Sault Ste Marie Ontario there was a young MI state Trooper who joined our model railroad club. Great guy and a fun person. His first name was Carl but I don't recall his last (too many Scotch neats ago) but he could give a marine drill instructor fits when he pulled some bad doer over.

He was dully rotated out a couple of years later and I lost contact with him. He was a funny person and if you and I ever meet I'll tell you some hilarious activities done in the name of fun on M48 out and going towards Marquette.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #54

Look, when I found out that I needed a new license to drive my motor home after driving one for nearly ten years, I wasn't very happy. I'm 51 years old and the last time I had anything to do with a driving test was at the age of 16 so I was not happy about this because after all I've been driving a motor home for ten years. Why did I need anyone telling me how to drive. Well I took the written test and passed the first time. When I went for the driving part, well let's just say I didn't pass. Maybe I should have read the book on the air brake test. So when I went back to retake the test I passed and was on my way. Now at the time this whole thing seem to be a big pain in the butt but in the long run I'm glad I did it. I do drive differently now and I think it's a good thing to put in place I mean just look at the size of these things we're driving down the road we could just be saving someone's life. All I'm saying is if your state says you need this license go get it, it cost me $75.00. If you can't afford that then maybe you shouldn't own a motor home, it's not always about us.
Beacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Class B Muddy Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls461 View Post
Having just received my Class B license.
Total Cost:
Time: 5 hrs including driving test
$$$$ $11:00 for written test
Peace of mind: PRICELESS (been driving 3+ yrs illegally)
Ditto.

'Got a cool pic on license this time, look like a mafia hit man.

But, appearances do count. I mean, you'd have thought that examiner had never seen a middle age guy in pastel capri pants, darling little crop top with matching Blowfish flats... jeesh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Class B License.png
Views:	153
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	18500  
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service