Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #1

Unlicensed drivers while getting service. You cant make this up.

Picking up my coach after getting a brake controller installed, some service guys were in the process of taking a couple tag axle coaches to freightliner for service. This RV service center takes all Freightliner service work to the freightliner dealer north of town. (i.e oil changes, chassis service etc up a bumper to bumper interstate.) The kid they had drive the coach was someone I wouldnt let drive my Polaris ATV. He was a 20 year old kid that didnt have any license over the basic drivers license. (I asked) Gang tattoos, gold teeth, the works. I think its awesome the kids is working and has a job, but if you saw him on the street you would immediately think gang banger, and expect him to be driving a Honda with neon lights and a big fart can muffler. I brought it up to the service manager that I can guarantee the kid driving the 250K+ Winnebago tag axle didnt have a Class B license. They didnt think he needed one and away he went. It was so blatent that I couldnt believe it. I told then that if he had a wreck, someone would be owning the dealership. Based on how they were dealt with this, I can guarantee no one there can legally drive a coach off the lot. If you take your coach in for service, you might want to ask if anyone has a proper license to drive the thing...

I have some friends at Texas DPS and a news station that I am thinking about calling. I watched this kid trying to figure things out as he was sitting behind the wheel. Windshield wipers came on etc and couldnt believe it. To put things in perspective, the road he had to travel (I35) is the busiest road in Central Texas

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
I had my astoria in Camping World fort worth a couple of days ago. Most of the techs in the shop are reasonably qualified to drive most rigs but if uncomfortable will ask for help. Camping world is co-located with McClain's RV Fort Worth and only one sales person knew a Class B license was required for most big diesel pushers. The business manager was trying to work me a deal on a Fleetwood tag axle and I asked if any special license was required and he said my regular license was all I needed. He was surprised when I informed him of the license requirements for anything over 26000 pounds, He immediately sent out a message to all the McClains stores in texas to alert them.

JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here in WA all you need for an RV all they way up to a Prevost/Newell is your standard drivers license. The law specifically exempts RV's from needing anything else.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #4

Before this turnes into a thread about what state requires what, (again) Texas does require a class license and this dealer when notified didnt care that much...
Old 03-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
yes you should have alerted the media or frantically dialed the highway patrol. Are you a risk assessor or lawyer by trade?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
As the father of 2 males in thier early twenties, I don't think you should place so much stock on appearances.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
As the father of 2 males in thier early twenties, I don't think you should place so much stock on appearances.
I second that Jim. While I don't like it, I remember people my age judging the way I looked in my late teens early twenties, mullet,, cowboy boots, parachute pants, Trans Am jacked up with n50's, loud exhaust, you get the picture. I have tried to tell my son that right or wrong like it or not people judge you by the way you look. I would also add that I have older people coming up to me all the time telling me my son is the nicest, most respectful young man they have ever met, and that I should be very proud of him. And I am, sleeve tatoos, gauge ear rings and all.

That being said there is still no excuse for allowing an inexperienced, unliscensed person behind the wheel of ANY vehicle they aren't qualified to operate.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post

I agree with this. My first impression of RV owners was nothing indicative of the world that I am now becoming familiar with. Just like someone else should not judge another from whether or not they have tattoos. I dont have any personally, but if I based everything in my life on stereotypes of appearances, I have a feeling I would be quite lonely.

Not a knock on the OP, but I don't think it is all that fair to make the assumptions that were made and frankly it is downright insulting to many. Now the license side of things is completely different and is a fair assessment, however truth be told, the judgement was made by appearance before the license came to be.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did anyone read the original post?

1. It applies to Texas.
2. He asked the young man what license he had.
3. Appearances give an impression. (I'm "heavy." That gives me the appearance that I eat to much - and you're probably right, I do.)
4. The young man also, through his actions, gave the appearance that he didn't know what he was doing.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Appearances give an impression. (I'm "heavy." That gives me the appearance that I eat to much - and you're probably right, I do.)
Like it or not, truth is truth. If someone comes into our company with sleeve tats, facial piercings, etc. to interview for a job in my department, they make a first impression on me that isn't favorable. That's just the way it is.....sorry!

Oh, and to remain on topic, yes, the young man needs a non-commercial Class B to operate a 26,000+ lb motorhome in the state of Texas. Given that he's getting paid to do it and so is his employer, he might even need a CDL B, but I'll leave that to the LEOs, judges and lawyers to debate.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
yes you should have alerted the media or frantically dialed the highway patrol. Are you a risk assessor or lawyer by trade?
No actually I am a former Police Officer. I have a little better insite on the "appearance dictates the type of person you are type of person thing" than most people. I do judge people on apperance until proven otherwise, and in your non internet life you do to. Do you avoid the "bad" parts of town? why is that????? I have never had anyone in a suit try to kill me, or arrest someone in a suit for selling drugs on the street corner. I did give the guy a break for working and I respect that. That doesnt mean I want the non licensed guy who was most likely hired to clean the windows driving it through rush hour traffic. I can almost guarantee that the self richous on this board would have had a conniption fit had they seen this kid climbing into their coach!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Appearance does make a impression and sometimes a discission. I was a CA licensed Contractor for 31 years. I once hired, sight unseen, three young men to operate a Roofers Hot tar kettle and to install a new roof on an industrial bldg. They showed up wearing cut-offs,no shirt,open toed shoes (sandals). I asked them to change into work clothes & shoes, they said they did not bring a change of clothes. I sent them down the road. They wanted show up pay. I told them I would give them my shoe up their a#! That most surley would have been an accident in the making. And they could have owned my company. Yes !!!! APPEARANCE DOES MAKE A DIFFERANCE. And btw they also told me they had 10 years experience in the roofing trade.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #13

Having just received my Class B license.
Total Cost:
Time: 5 hrs including driving test
$$$$ $11:00 for written test
Peace of mind: PRICELESS (been driving 3+ yrs illegally)

This has been discussed many times and you would think a business that sells, services RV's would at least know the rules to protect their companies. I can understand a salesperson ( I was one) telling potential buyer of a RV they don't need anything other than a standard DL. Why scare a potential buyer away but the owners should know to protect their business.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
No actually I am a former Police Officer. I have a little better insite on the "appearance dictates the type of person you are type of person thing" than most people. I do judge people on apperance until proven otherwise, and in your non internet life you do to. Do you avoid the "bad" parts of town? why is that????? I have never had anyone in a suit try to kill me, or arrest someone in a suit for selling drugs on the street corner. I did give the guy a break for working and I respect that. That doesnt mean I want the non licensed guy who was most likely hired to clean the windows driving it through rush hour traffic. I can almost guarantee that the self richous on this board would have had a conniption fit had they seen this kid climbing into their coach!
generally I avoid bad parts of town because I dont need crack, a stolen stereo, or a prostitute. Otherwise its a wee off the beaten path for me.
A coworker is considered a "sex offender" because she pulled her shirt up at a college football game.

But seriously... at any given moment its estimated 30% of the drivers on the road are unlicensed or uninsured. Would seem this "untapped" well of revenue should be as easy using a ladel for States coffers to fill and law enforcment to "enforce".

Tags
service