Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
anyone know how much a 40inch tire mounted on rim inflated to 90 or 100 lbs weighs?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #44

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not much of a choice for us as we have different tire sizes front to back. Hard to give up storage space for 2 tires. I guess our only option is to rely on Coach-Net.
RonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
anyone know how much a 40inch tire mounted on rim inflated to 90 or 100 lbs weighs?
Need the actual tire size/brand and type of wheel. Inflation makes NO difference. "40inch" doesn't ID your tire.

You could go to the tire manufacturers web site and look at the spec sheet for your brand/type/size tire and it will list unmounted weight. Tire weights vary considerably per size.

Need to know your wheel rim size for that, but you can guess maybe 20lbs for aluminum and 30lbs for steel.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe it is up to each person to do what makes him comfortable. In my case, I will do anything in reason to keep my motorhome from being towed. At our dealership, we saw several motorhomes damaged from towing. While most were not damaged, Some had the fiberglass damaged. Some had the driveshaft left on and the transmission damaged. Some had the emergency brakes left on. The last choice for me would be towing.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #47

Aquaintence of mine runs a towing service off of I-90 in central NY that handles everything from sub-compact cars to big rigs and based on his input I now carry a unmounted spare tire. Store crap I don't use in the tire and cut a plywood shelf that sits on the tire. Have I ever used it? no. Do I hope it sits there unused for a long time? yes. Glad I have it? you betcha...

Grumpy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonjm209 View Post
I have a used unmounted spare tire that I carry in the back of my toad (Jeep GC). I am hoping my road service won't have a problem mounting it to the flat tire's rim.
X2 when we get where we're going I pull it out. You don't have to lift the tire, slide it out and roll it, lay it down. Tip it up,(a little harder) roll it and slide it in. I think most of us can handle getting it out of the jeep. By the way 2 of my sons used to work at a friends tire warehouse and loaded trailers full of 22" tires by themselves throwing the top ones 6' up in the air, it's all leverage.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
If I would have carried a spare through the years, it would have been unused for 11 years and unusable.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
Never
Saw one not to long ago, he had engine problems..... no spare

As for putting things inside a unmounted spare, not for me. But I got it easier as I am only a 5er owner, of course that means I carry 2 spares.
Storing Tires - Tire Retread & Repair Information Bureau

My folks do not have one, they stay on top of their tires, now. He started that last time he had a blow out and then 200 miles later a second one went. (Was not putting enough miles on per month.)

I would say It all depends on your CCC and what you want to carry. I carry way to many tools I am sure, have needed them when my brother in-law was towing as a weekend warrior, but that is something for another time.