Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Unmounted Spare - Worth The Space?

As we prepare to go fulltime we are considering what to keep and what to get rid of. One of the items under scrutiny is the unmounted spare tire in the MH storage bay. It appears to be one of the original Goodyear tires that was replaced with Michelins about 3 years ago. It is in good share and could be used in an emergency. The Michelins on the unit should be good for another 3-4 years and we have a tire warranty plan which is good for the next 4 years.

With storage space at a premium I'm wondering how many have real life experience where an unmounted spare was a good idea? Also wondering how many have carried an unmounted spare but never needed it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Spare is a good idea ....

Old 11-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Wouldn't leave home without one.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #4

Needed one; had one; saved the day.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Murphy's Law say if you don't have it you will need it! It is cheap insurance to save a good trip. I travel from the middle of nowhere to the center of everywhere and some of the roads are very lonely. Long ways to the nearest replacement tire. You can alway stuff the tire full of seldom used items.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #6

They are worthless until you need one. Then they are priceless. Mine is attached to the back of my rig...it came that way. There may be a way to move yours to a wheel mount attached to your trailer hitch...if you decided to get a wheel for it.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm thinking it over----I am replacing my tires and it is a good time to ponder the question.

Haven't had one, haven't needed one, have never had tire problems---if I do then I just have to put up with what ever the situation is---so would you------could be routine or eventful depending----if you have a tire perhaps you would be spared that indignity (of wishing you did) if it occurs.

I do have a road service plan and more room (I have less room than you downstairs). I'll probably go bare given my track record. Can't reccomend it to anyone else---just depends on your ability to handle some stress I guess.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have one, mounted under the rear of the coach, takes major effort to remove and replace. Have had that done that twice to try to keep the tire current. Have never needed it on the road. Did switch out a scalloped steer tire once, but was in a place where I could just as easily have bought new which I eventually had to do anyhow.

I probably would be unhappy without it, but we went to Alaska over Top of the World Highway and managed to not have any tire trouble, other than wearing them out on the way east.

Total miles without a flat 135,000 over 11 years. Watch me have a blow out the next time I move the coach!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #9

Doesn't most insurance companies have roadside service? To replace a tire on a MH requires a lot of torque on the lug nuts. It is also a very difficult job, unlike an auto tire. My vote is forget the spare, get roadside service.

Jim E
Old 11-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #10

I had road service. I had a tire warranty. None of that mattered 30 miles south of Jackson Hole WY. I had to personally pay the courier to bring a replacement from Salt Lake City - or wait "2 to 3 days" for regular shipping, which could have gone into the weekend, which would have added 2 more days. It was not cheap but I did not have an alternative.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The theory is you can call road service and Coach-net (our provider) will bring out a new tire if you don't have a spare and you tell them what you need. In operation, RV tires are not common sizes and very often they must be ordered from someplace else. In my experience, ordering tires for replacement does not necessarily result in them being there when promised. I am happy to carry a spare. Of course mine is in a carrier under the coach in otherwise useless space. Not sure what I would do if I had to give up bay space for a spare.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I do not carry a spare, but may keep one of my tires when I replace them in 2 years.

The unmounted spare takes up very little space, as the entire inside of the tire can be packed with stuff. Sure, I little inconvient if the spare is needed, but just stack the stuff out on the ground.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #13

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't carry one unless the tire size I have is an odd duck. Otherwise, it's roadside assistance for me.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Spare, unmounted tire would put my coach way over 20000 pound legal rear axle weight.
Looks like road service will have to do what ever it takes to get me on the road again.
Rebel