Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Question Up Grading from a Queen to King Size Bed - Possible?

Just imagine. You are walking the high end used coach of your dreams...great shape, all the options that you're looking for, complete records...and then you see the bed in the bedroom...and discover it's a Queen.

First, I think that RV beds don't match residential sizes very closely (usually overstating size compared to actual dimensions) ~ correct?

We're both tall, and if the coach is 45' long, we really want a king size bed. Is it possible to change it? Is it only on a "coach by coach" basis? We're most interested in the Country Coach line, if that makes a difference.

Any insights would be really appreciated!

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sure, lots of people have done this. Often there are nightstands on each side that might have to be removed, plus installing a larger platform. Careful measurements will be your friend. And yes, most RV mattresses are slightly narrower than regular ones.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
It 's been done. Just do a search in irv2.

That's why we're selling ours. Can't get used to a Queen after our King at home. Next coach will accommodate and be retro-fitted with a King bed!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Isn't a RV king just like a home queen?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
We just changed mattress' in our MADP from an RV king to a house king and the house king is about 6" wider and 3" longer. We actually now have to squish the mattress between the window valances and this is on a 4304 coach. But it will work, just makes making the bed harder.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Not all manufacturers use standard size beds and not all models and floorplans are necessarily uniform.

It's been my observation that you need to verify the bed size in the exact model you are considering.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #7

Our Fleetwood Bounder 33U came with a king bed from the manufacturer, its finished dimensions are 72" x 74", try finding sheet sets...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
As most mfg's mattresses are junk anyway and we bought a used motorhome, a new mattress was in order. A new Beauty Rest queen
was the exact same size as the original Monaco.
As to the original question, pull all the slides in and measure....
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Here is a link to a thread of the same question I asked. In it is a member who did this in his RV and posted some photos.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/from...ng-116911.html
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #10

There is, or used to be, a mattress size called a California Queen for residential purposes. You might try a search for that, too.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had considered this to get more width, not length. RV service folks said one nightstand (mine) could come out to get the width we wanted. Two nightstands out was even better. We did not do this. Bed is OK/

Length is another thing. Our bed slide runs side to side. When all the way in, the existing mattress bumps up against the closet. Open, you have 18 inches of walk-around-room.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC
Just imagine. You are walking the high end used coach of your dreams...great shape, all the options that you're looking for, complete records...and then you see the bed in the bedroom...and discover it's a Queen.

First, I think that RV beds don't match residential sizes very closely (usually overstating size compared to actual dimensions) ~ correct?

We're both tall, and if the coach is 45' long, we really want a king size bed. Is it possible to change it? Is it only on a "coach by coach" basis? We're most interested in the Country Coach line, if that makes a difference.

Any insights would be really appreciated!

Mark
If you can live with the width of a queen but need more length, there is an easy fix. The length is usually a problem because when the slide is in, the foot of the mattress is physically up against the opposing slide or wall. Have apiece of foam custom cut the width and thickness of the mattress. Push the mattress down on the bed pedestal and insert the foam block above the mattress. This block does not support any substantial weight and the bottom sheet will keep it in place. When the slides come in, just pull the block up and push the mattress back up to the head of the bed.

Most Monaco diesel coaches use residential size mattresses and many are king size.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
We were concerned about moving from a true King (75"x80") to a queen as we're both tall. Our queen is 60" wide by 80" long and it turns out it's not really that big (or rather small) a deal.

We found some pretty bizarre measurements for "Queens" most often being 60x75 or 60x74, we put "real queen" on our must have list and found a coach with a true 60"x80" queen. My feelings were if I could have a full size 60"x80" queen in my truck camper I sure as heck was going to have one in our coach. In searching it there seemed to be a trend of having short queens in East/West orientations with a better chance of a full size in North/South beds. We did buy with an eye to modifications if necessary but have not found it necessary, we find the nightstands convenience and storage to far outweigh the narrower bed.

As always YMMV and what's right for one may not fit another's needs.

Good luck in your hunt.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
We were concerned about moving from a true King (75"x80") to a queen as we're both tall. Our queen is 60" wide by 80" long and it turns out it's not really that big (or rather small) a deal.

We found some pretty bizarre measurements for "Queens" most often being 60x75 or 60x74, we put "real queen" on our must have list and found a coach with a true 60"x80" queen. My feelings were if I could have a full size 60"x80" queen in my truck camper I sure as heck was going to have one in our coach. In searching it there seemed to be a trend of having short queens in East/West orientations with a better chance of a full size in North/South beds. We did buy with an eye to modifications if necessary but have not found it necessary, we find the nightstands convenience and storage to far outweigh the narrower bed.

As always YMMV and what's right for one may not fit another's needs.

Good luck in your hunt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
We just changed mattress' in our MADP from an RV king to a house king and the house king is about 6" wider and 3" longer. We actually now have to squish the mattress between the window valances and this is on a 4304 coach. But it will work, just makes making the bed harder.
[QUOTE=Steve Ownby;1393643]If you can live with the width of a queen but need more length, there is an easy fix. The length is usually a problem because when the slide is in, the foot of the mattress is physically up against the opposing slide or wall. Have apiece of foam custom cut the width and thickness of the mattress. Push the mattress down on the bed pedestal and insert the foam block above the mattress. This block does not support any substantial weight and the bottom sheet will keep it in place. When the slides come in, just pull the block up and push the mattress back up to the head of the bed.

Most Monaco diesel coaches use residential size mattresses and many are king size.[/

We are seriously considering a 2003 Monaco Executive, but the biggest issue is that it has the same problem - queen instead of a king bed. I love the night stands and would hate to give them up, but we need the width. I wonder with a select comfort if there's a way to just squish it in there. Since you have a Monaco, I thought you might know. Thanks!

QUOTE]
Weimaraner is offline   Reply With Quote