Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #1

Update on front axel weight issue

I'm sorry it's taken so long to give the end results for the issue that I have with the Berkshire MH. The issue started soon after we bought our 2011390RB Berkshire in may of 2012.WE found we where over weight on the Front axel and wasn't sure what to do about it. Sorry I couldn't reply to the original thread as its to old.I was asking about replacing the front axel.
I just got back from Gaffney SC after having the front axel updated and the tires replaced. The fix to this was that the front axel that Freightliner uses on all the XCR chassis under 12500 lbs front axel are the same casting. The brakes and air bags and other items make the difference as to what rating it receives. In my case to go from a 10500 lb axel to a 12000 lb axel was simply to change the air bags to a larger size. I found this hard to believe but was assured by ever expert that I could contact that this was true. Freight liner in Gaffney SC made the fix and did a fantastic job. I would say that is about the most professional shop I have had the pleasure of dealing with. They had the engineers from the factory do all the plans on the change and signed off on a newly rated front axel. They also installed new Michelin XZE2 275/80r22.5 tires replacing the 255's with Forest River picking up the bill for everything including fuel round trip. Forest River has been great once the issue was identified and I can't say enough good things about the end results.
The drive home around 840 miles was like driving a completely different MH. The ride and handling was solid and smooth. The speedometer and odometer are dead on according to my GPS.
This is about as good a outcome as I could have hoped for. I know that it still is a little closer on GVW than I would like but it is now very capable to carry the load that I had extended when I bought the MH and that makes me very happy.
I am also amazed at how it handled the mountains around Knoxville and Asheville. I know these aren't the biggest I will find but the 6.7 Cummins handled very well. I have had a lot of people say the ISB can't handle a 33000 lb. GCVW but it made it up every hill I came to and although I didn't win the race to the top I didn't drop below 45 on any of the grades. I got some good pointers on driving and getting the most out of the 2500 Allison and the 6.7 Cummins from taking Camp Freightliner. Mike Cody does a good job with that class. It's a fun two days and if you have the time and have a Freightliner Chassis I would highly recommend it.
Thanks to Mr D and Steve Levin and everyone else for the advice in getting this resolved. Also Forest River is a company that stands behind their product.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
weight