Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Ranger429

I'm saying I wont risk my rig, my wife, my grand kids, or me for chump change.

Best of luck
Actually what you said was
Quote:
Over a period of 10 years, $2000
Evidently I have different tires than you do and mine don't exactly cost "chump change" to me. At close to $460 per tire plus another $30 for FET and whatever the cost to mount might be I'm looking at spending close to $32-3500 for a new set of tires. IF I decided to step up to the new energy tires by Michelin it would be closer to 4K to replace them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
After all, some here won't drive on tires more than 3-4 years old, some no more than 5 years old - so where exactly does the "chump change point begin?
I have seen many recommendations for tire changes needed in the 3-4 year age by members here. I figured an update on my tires would help some others see that it is not always necessary to replace the tires in that short of a life span. Michelin recommends 10 years for the XZA2.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #16

Ranger429

$2000 was thrown out as a value. I used it. You can amortize your own annual cost.

I would just chicken out before you would.
Nuff said

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Why start a thread like this? Kinda like asking for permission to toss gas into a camp fire.

I think the OP clearly knows that the large percentage of folks here will not support taking tires to 10 years. Just because they did it and didn't have a blow out doesn't mean it is a good move.

The fact that new tires have blow outs is not evidence that supports any argument to justify running tires to 10 years. Not sure it even changes the equation for over 7 years.

There are few other systems on a MH that can have the potential for catastrophic results after a failure as tires. Any system with that potential ought to be treated with that in mind. Even if you remove the worst case scenario out of this, the damage that a shredded tire can cause to the MH is significant all by itself.

I think this falls into the category of pay me now or pay me later. No...I don't guarantee that a 10 year old tire will blow up but I do guarantee that a higher percentage of them do compared to newer ones.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Why start a thread like this? Kinda like asking for permission to toss gas into a camp fire.

I think the OP clearly knows that the large percentage of folks here will not support taking tires to 10 years. Just because they did it and didn't have a blow out doesn't mean it is a good move.

The fact that new tires have blow outs is not evidence that supports any argument to justify running tires to 10 years. Not sure it even changes the equation for over 7 years.

There are few other systems on a MH that can have the potential for catastrophic results after a failure as tires. Any system with that potential ought to be treated with that in mind. Even if you remove the worst case scenario out of this, the damage that a shredded tire can cause to the MH is significant all by itself.

I think this falls into the category of pay me now or pay me later. No...I don't guarantee that a 10 year old tire will blow up but I do guarantee that a higher percentage of them do compared to newer ones.
This is a thoughtful, well reasoned post that is exactly on point.
Thanks, Sky_Boss.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

This is a thoughtful, well reasoned post that is exactly on point.
Thanks, Sky_Boss.
X2
Are we done now?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Tires are like eggs. They may look good on the outside but could be rotten on the inside. The only true way to inspect a tire is to dismount it and inspect the inside.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Tires are like eggs. They may look good on the outside but could be rotten on the inside. The only true way to inspect a tire is to dismount it and inspect the inside.

You and Sky_Boss have all of your stuff in one bag! Thanks.
I'm still only doin 7 yrs

Old 01-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #22

We replaced the Michelin's on our Journey after over 10 years of age. 52,000 miles, looked great inside & out, with plenty of tread remaining. $4,100 of so-called "chump change"... If you're not running Michelin's, you probably should change at a maximum of five years or so, otherwise you're putting yours, mine and all other humans on the road at risk, and could be sued for millions. For that matter, I seriously doubt your coaches can stop and handle emergency maneuvers as well as my Mercedes 550C. Obviously, that means you're a risk on the road, and you may endanger my life.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:43 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Can't help but add my 2cents

Points I think should be added
1 retreaders will not retread a tire over 5 yrs and carefully inspect tires before processing
2 Michelin recommend an inspection annually after 5 yrs I believe ( may be 7)
3 Michelin have no more claim to longevity to many other manufacturers
4 some tires under some circumstances will last 10 yrs others will fail at 10 minutes.
5 At 5 yrs old a dealer will include replacing the tires when considering a valuation
When I picked up my new to me coach the tires were 7 yrs old and looked like crap
I drove the coach at 50 mph to the nearest available centre and spent $650 x 8
Surely there can be many analogies you can use to justify renewing or not but surely its only about risk given "they still look like new"
I guess my limit is 7 yrs
Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
exactly who is saying to change tires so often? the tire companies? don't they have a vested interest in you changing your tires as often as they can get you do do it? remember when the oil companies were telling you to change your oil at 2000 miles, then 3000 miles then 5000 miles and now at least 7500 miles. think about who is recomending the process.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #25

I bought a new 2010 Fleetwood Bounder, that was built on a 2011 Ford Chassis, sitting on 2009 tires...I plan to change the tires in 2014. My reasoning is that the motor home sat on a paved lot for over 900 days before I bought it. The tires "look" great, but the desert heat compounded by the coach sitting on asphalt for 3 years is a good recipe for dry-rot. I am not taking any chances...it's five years for me.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
A blow out doesn't mean they will be damage to the chassis or body every time.
Or any risk to any humans on the road.

If you don't know what to do to keep control of your MH in a blow out.
Please learn what to do, before it happens to you. Or quit driving even on brand new tires.

Michelin's video on what to do really works.
Been there done that. With a 6 year old front right Michelin XRV zipper blow out.
And a 4 year old left rear inside XRV zipper blow out.
No damage done from either one.

Now on 7 1/2 year old G670's with no kind of blow outs yet.
I will replace them when first blow out happens or 10 years. Which ever comes first.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
A blow out doesn't mean they will be damage to the chassis or body every time.
Or any risk to any humans on the road.

Been there done that. With a 6 year old front right Michelin XRV zipper blow out.
And a 4 year old left rear inside XRV zipper blow out.
No damage done from either one.
You cant predict when tires will blow, and you cannot predict the outcome.

Some roll off the rim immediately. If it is a steer tire, it is dire trouble. Severe damage, crossing the median, rollover, injury, death; lots of possibilities!

I have had only 1 blowout in 22 years. It cost me a tire, $500 and my own labor for repairs. It cracked a gas line too, which could have been a glowing example of what can happen, had I not realized it right off and closed the valve.

The odds of a new tire blowing are certainly a ton lower than an old tire.

I budget everything, including tires. If they are $4000, over 7 years I would budget $47/month. At 10 years it would be $33/month. I choose to put away the extra $14/month and limit the risk.

14 bucks is chump change, a few cups of coffee, 3 fast-food meals.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I personally know a person that had a left front blowout in a large pickup due to old tires, the pickup immediately veered left into oncoming traffic and hit a car head-on with a family in it. The outcome was that two people in the car were killed, he and his young son were badly injured.
As was said above, you can't predict when a tire might blow and a new tires have a much lower chance of blowing out than 10 year old tires. I'll continue to change mine out at every 6-7 years and when compared to someones life, 4k is chump change.
BTW Michelin recommends changing out these tires at or before 10 years from the manufacture date.

mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires