Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #29

From personal experience I would agree its just not worth the risk. If you are willing to risk it I highly recommend carrying a spare and a good roadside assistance package.

The price of repairing even cosmetic damage will not offset any savings of stretching the lifespan out of the old tires.

I can also say that sitting on the side of the hi way while making repairs is not a fun way to enjoy a family vacation.

If budget is the main reason at least upgrade the steer tires this year and maybe work your way back as funds allow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-853321765.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	31981   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3821683892.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	469.4 KB
ID:	31982  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv3769 View Post
exactly who is saying to change tires so often? the tire companies? don't they have a vested interest in you changing your tires as often as they can get you do do it? remember when the oil companies were telling you to change your oil at 2000 miles, then 3000 miles then 5000 miles and now at least 7500 miles. think about who is recomending the process.
Seems Continental tires are the flavor of the month in my transport company.
The manager of the tire supplier ( of which I coincidentally own half) has been promised a trip for himself and his wife to Texas Motor Speedway to watch the Aussie V8's if he sells 200 per month for 3 months. Not a bad promotion from here in Australia.
So if anybody wants to buy Continentals maybe he can claim the referral.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I had Michlins on a new 2000 Journey the worst tires I've ever owned. In the first two years I had one flat from a nail my fault. Three sidewall blow out not my fault. After spending much time waiting on tire service with blow outs and replacing with Michlins each time I finally upped one size and put on Good Years. I had many Good Years traveling after that without any problems. Just the cost to replace tires on the highway outweighs making sure you have good safe tires. I personally would replace them it will be much cheaper in the long run. Thank God I never had one blow on the front axle. I know there are pros and cons on both brands but never a problem for six years after changing out the Michlins.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #32

Taking Chances

I am not 100% sure, but I believe if your tires are "timed out", and you have a tire-related accident, your insurance may not pay and you may be cited by the police. Could get much more expensive than a set of tires. I am due to replace all my tires on my 2008 40' HR. (45,000 miles/6.5 years) It is going to be painful, but I will enjoy my trips a lot more knowing I can trust my tires.

RV Steve
Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: I find such a lengthly discussion of tire replacement based on age according to only anecdotal data to be kind of funny. Does anyone have any data to say that newer tires are safer than older tires and by how much? If not, this discussion is mute.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirko
Hi Ho: I find such a lengthly discussion of tire replacement based on age according to only anecdotal data to be kind of funny. Does anyone have any data to say that newer tires are safer than older tires and by how much? If not, this discussion is mute.
Unfortunately, there is no definitive test that can determine the health and viability of a tire. Re-cappers can't use a carcass more than 7 years old. Michelin has said the life of a tire is 10 years. Internal damage to a tire from road hazards , heat, moisture and under inflation is cumulative and it's pretty much invisible.

A lot of bandwidth is devoted to tires and tire life because there is no meaningful data. There are too many completely unknown variables which all contribute to what might add up to cause a tire to fail unexpectedly.

Since you asked the question and have found the discussion to be humorous, what is your answer?
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #35

No there is no good hard data to suggest old tires are better than new tires. Therefore it is always best to find the oldest cheapest tires you can find. Please wait to breed till after you have done this.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #36

If a new tire is not safer that an old tire, some of the laws of physics and chemistry may have been broken.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:34 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
You cant predict when tires will blow, and you cannot predict the outcome.

If it is a steer tire, it is dire trouble. Severe damage, crossing the median, rollover, injury, death; lots of possibilities!

I have had only 1 blowout in 22 years. It cost me a tire, $500 and my own labor for repairs. It cracked a gas line too, which could have been a glowing example of what can happen, had I not realized it right off and closed the valve.

Another excellent example of why smart people drive diesels with all electric appliances, and only fools drive low end "gassers" and use deadly propane. Drive a diesel, never use propane, and replace your tires every six months or so, or you may experience "dire trouble"!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:20 AM   #38

Automobilist......

That's a pretty bold statement and I take great offense to that. So because I own a Gasser with propane that makes me a fool?! The only fool I see is one that would make a statement like that.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
Automobilist......

That's a pretty bold statement and I take great offense to that. So because I own a Gasser with propane that makes me a fool?! The only fool I see is one that would make a statement like that.
I THINK he was being sarcastic. I could be wrong.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
another excellent example of why smart people drive diesels with all electric appliances, and only fools drive low end "gassers" and use deadly propane. Drive a diesel, never use propane, and replace your tires every six months or so, or you may experience "dire trouble"!!!

sarcasm alert!!
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #41

If it was I apologize... sarcasm is hard to see on the internet!
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #42

With tires a lot depends on how much you drive the motorhome. If it is driven a lot the tires will hold up a lot longer than if the motorhome sits a lot. I used to drive a charter bus and it ran almost every day, never had tire problems. I bought my current motorhome last year,the tires were 6 years old and did not have a crack or dry rot spot on them,I left Florida and blew a tire near Carlsbad New Mexico. When we removed that tire I checked all the others and they had bad evidence of dry rot. I guess the drive out there caused them to crack after sitting so long. The motorhome had been stored inside in Florida before I purchased it. Of course I changed all 6 tires at that point. So the more you drive the longer they will hold up I believe but if you sit a lot like I do workcamping and so on, I would replace at least every 5 years just for safety.

rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires