Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
With tires a lot depends on how much you drive the motorhome. If it is driven a lot the tires will hold up a lot longer than if the motorhome sits a lot. I used to drive a charter bus and it ran almost every day, never had tire problems. ...
BINGO! Tires are built to be driven. They last longer that way unless you tread them out but I've not heard any stories of folks that replaced tires because of mileage. (I'm certain someone has but that is pretty rare for MHs) How many times have you heard the same analogy for motors and generators. Use is better than lack of use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 AM   #44

I read this thread and keep hearing people refer to tire replacement as chump change! all i can think is i must have different tires than the person making the statement.my tires cost $1000.00 dollars each making it $8000 total replacement. not chump change!! How i combat this is ever other year i buy 2 tires. steers are always new then they go back to the drive and finally to to the tag. I have talked to Michelin on the phone about tire life according to the tires should have a 10 year life span. i try to run for 7-8 years on michelins. the good years i replace at 6 years due to internal dry rot.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonklink
I read this thread and keep hearing people refer to tire replacement as chump change! all i can think is i must have different tires than the person making the statement.my tires cost $1000.00 dollars each making it $8000 total replacement. not chump change!! How i combat this is ever other year i buy 2 tires. steers are always new then they go back to the drive and finally to to the tag. I have talked to Michelin on the phone about tire life according to the tires should have a 10 year life span. i try to run for 7-8 years on michelins. the good years i replace at 6 years due to internal dry rot.
I agree with your take on tire replacement being "chump change". I also follow a very similar replacement schedule to spread the pain. If you are serious about your tires costing $1000 each, you need to shop some more dealers. You should be able to find them for between $650-750 per tire out the door. Still not chump change but better to save it than not.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonklink View Post
Paying for tires is a big one-time wallet hit for all of us. Less if you do 2 at a time.
My reference to "chump change" was stictly about replacing tires at 7 years vs 10. If you amortize the difference in cost, you can replace them at 7 vs 10 for the value of a few skipped fast food meals each month.
I have a stash that I stuff money into each month. Less painfull.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #47

LOL i have a stash also, i was not being malicious with my last statement.Tires are a huge Issue on all motorhomes. My favorite part is pulling into the tire shop and the 25 year old tire salesman telling me that my tires are fine. The fact is most tire shops don't know that the tires age out. the chump change comet applies in the aspect of if you have one come apart and rip the coach up that tire just became very cheap. I like this discussion a lot because i have spent hours researching the difference between truck tires and RV tires.Michelin tells me the only difference between truck tires and RV tires is a UV Inhibiter. the offset of that is in a truck tire the side walls are twice as thick.therefor they don't need the extra inhibiter. on my old coach i ran semi tires it was an American Eagle i saw no difference in ride but i will tell you the coach handled much better in turns due to the stiffer side walls. currently i am running RV tires on my American Heritage mostly because of buying 2 at at time the mismatch would bother me a lot. how many of you run Semi tires and what is your opinion on the difference??
Old 02-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Not on my current coach gut did run trailer tires on the rears on my last coach for a short time. I did not see any difference in rid and I know they are safer.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
I bought a new 2010 Fleetwood Bounder, that was built on a 2011 Ford Chassis, sitting on 2009 tires...I plan to change the tires in 2014. My reasoning is that the motor home sat on a paved lot for over 900 days before I bought it. The tires "look" great, but the desert heat compounded by the coach sitting on asphalt for 3 years is a good recipe for dry-rot. I am not taking any chances...it's five years for me.

Curious, did you mean a 2011 on a 2010 chassis, or are the chassis built ahead of time? Mine is a 2004 on a 2003 chassis is what made me wonder. Another issue I see not addressed here is "shelf life". A few years back I bought "new" tires for my boat trailer, I specifically shopped for Maxxis (I think) having read good things about them, anyway, a few months later when working on the trailer it occurred to me to look at the dot codes, almost 2 1/2 year old tires were on there! When I went back to the dealer of course they would do nothing since the tires were now used. So.....did I have 5 month old tires or a little more than 2 1/2 years old????

I usually changed trailer tires at 5 years, either boat trailer or travel trailer.

trode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires