Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update on MY Michelin tires

Well it has been just over 2 years since I bought this coach and I'm still running the original 03 date code tires. I just made another trip to Florida so I now have close to 32K miles on them. I have put 12K miles on these tires and they still appear to be in great shape. No dry rot, cracking or lose of air pressure. I do keep the coach in an enclosed building when not in use as the prior owner did as well. This is the only reason I can think of for the tires looking as good as they do still.

This is a quote from a post over a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post
I am running Michelin XZA2 tires on my coach with a date code of 0403. all 6 are the original tires with 21000 miles on them and there are not any defects/cracks anywhere. I almost replaced the front steers because of all the "hype" I have read here on this forum before I went on my trip to Florida last month. Now I'm glad I saved my money and didn't throw these out. I'll continue to run these tires till I feel it is necessary for a change.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429
Well it has been just over 2 years since I bought this coach and I'm still running the original 03 date code tires. I just made another trip to Florida so I now have close to 32K miles on them. I have put 12K miles on these tires and they still appear to be in great shape. No dry rot, cracking or lose of air pressure. I do keep the coach in an enclosed building when not in use as the prior owner did as well. This is the only reason I can think of for the tires looking as good as they do still.

This is a quote from a post over a year ago.
You are just about to the 10 year mark. In you original post you say "when you have some reason to replace". How will you make that determination? I'm not throwing stones as I went through this process several years ago myself. I chickened out at 7.5 years on the steer axle and 8.5 on the drive. Finally 9.5 on the tag.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

Does indoor storage of the coach help extend tire life? I think so but I have no idea how much. Any estimates?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #4

Only advantage to indoors storage as far as tires are concerned, is potentially reduced exposure to direct sunlight - otherwise, inside air remains the same as outdoor air...

Sure wish I had indoor storage for our RV's, not particularly for the tires, but for the rest of them, inside and outside...

As far as protecting the tires against sunlight, tire covers are sure lots cheaper than a complete shop/garage...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

If you amortize the tire cost over 7 then 10 years, the difference is chump change.
I wont take a cheap risk.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
If you amortize the tire cost over 7 then 10 years, the difference is chump change.
I wont take a cheap risk.
UNH-OOOOoooo, another "chump-change" statement?

As far as trying to accurately judge tire condition purely by the external appearance, the 10 year old tires on our '88 Winnie when we bought it LOOKED like new on the OUTSIDE, but displayed clear evidence of inner wall deterioration when I had a flat on one and it was removed for repair - I was motivated to then replace ALL the tires with new ones - and all the rest were even worse inside than the first, even thought the outside was perfect, and about 90% of the tread remained...

OH, and the $2K the new ones cost sure was NOT "chump change"...

To SOME, swapping in new tires at 3, 4, or 5 years might seem like "chump change", again, it's a matter of personal perspective - and bank account...
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post

UNH-OOOOoooo, another "chump-change" statement?

As far as trying to accurately judge tire condition purely by the external appearance, the 10 year old tires on our '88 Winnie when we bought it LOOKED like new on the OUTSIDE, but displayed clear evidence of inner wall deterioration when I had a flat on one and it was removed for repair - I was motivated to then replace ALL the tires with new ones - and all the rest were even worse inside than the first, even thought the outside was perfect, and about 90% of the tread remained...

OH, and the $2K the new ones cost sure was NOT "chump change"...

To SOME, swapping in new tires at 3, 4, or 5 years might seem like "chump change", again, it's a matter of personal perspective - and bank account...
Over a period of 10 years, $2000 is $200/yr, $17/month. 7 years is $285 and $24.
I had "new" looking tires on my 1st rig. They were 7 year olds. When the tread separated at 65 mph, I was so pleased it was an inside rear, and that it only cost me about $500 to repair the damage to wires, gas lines, etc which I did myself. If it had been a steer tire......?
I wont take that risk again for chump change.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a blowout it will cause thousands of $ worth of damage, maybe your life or someone else's. I won't take that gamble.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllk3rd View Post
If you have a blowout it will cause thousands of $ worth of damage, maybe your life or someone else's. I won't take that gamble.
BIG
Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
Does indoor storage of the coach help extend tire life? I think so but I have no idea how much. Any estimates?
I think the only reason my tires are in the shape they are in is because of indoor storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
You are just about to the 10 year mark. In you original post you say "when you have some reason to replace". How will you make that determination? I'm not throwing stones as I went through this process several years ago myself. I chickened out at 7.5 years on the steer axle and 8.5 on the drive. Finally 9.5 on the tag.
Steve I'll make that determination when the tires show signs of needing replacement. I polished my wheels a couple weeks back and had a good look at the tires while doing it. So far they are in great shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Over a period of 10 years, $2000 is $200/yr, $17/month. 7 years is $285 and $24.
I had "new" looking tires on my 1st rig. They were 7 year olds. When the tread separated at 65 mph, I was so pleased it was an inside rear, and that it only cost me about $500 to repair the damage to wires, gas lines, etc which I did myself. If it had been a steer tire......?
I wont take that risk again for chump change.
So your saying that life expectancy is 10 years for a set of tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllk3rd View Post
I've seen brand new tires have a blowout.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #11

Ranger429

I'm saying I wont risk my rig, my wife, my grand kids, or me for chump change.

Best of luck
Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #12

I had a new resident pull into the park with an older top end class A with the worst tire cracking I had ever seen. He stayed here ( Los Angeles ) parked in the sun for three years and then drove it back home to Kentucky. No tire failure, imagine that. He called to let me know he made it.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #13

Ranger429

Like I said:

I do 7 years max. $85/yr, $7/month is nuthin. Mine would be a bit more though
Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #14

I guess I bristle most at the ridiculing "chump change" reference - life is full of DAILY "chump change" choices and decisions. Taken separately, they don't amount to much - but in total, can add up dramatically! And the various personal decisions made from one individual to another regarding the plethora of "chump change" choices is not to be taken lightly, or ridicule the difference in YOUR circumstamces or choices, as compared with someone elses.

One size does NOT fit all!

As pointed out in posts above, SOME tires continue to run safely well beyond 10 years, and some, like an RVing buddy of mine, blow out in the first couple of days and300 miles. Perhaps HE should have considred tire expense (this happened to him SEVERAL times!) "chump change", and replaced HIS tires every 150 miles, to be safe?

After all, some here won't drive on tires more than 3-4 years old, some no more than 5 years old - so where exactly does the "chump change" point begin? Is it the same for everyone, or only a select few?

Like I said, life is FULL of DAILY "chump change" choices, but what might be "chump change" to me in my situation is NOT the same for everyone else, NOR is it appropriate for me to demean someone elses circumstances or choice by use of "chump change" references - any more than openly referring to such decisions as "idiot choices"!

Tags
tires