Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #1

Updating/upgrading electrical

We have a 1997 Pace Arrow Vision that we love. I am looking into upgrading to 50A from 30A. I know that i need to install a power distribution/circuit panel for the 50A. I also know i need the bigger 4 wire cord for the shore power. What else would i need for the rest of the house power?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 05:06 AM   #2

A 50 amp transfer switch.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:51 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenrustie View Post
We have a 1997 Pace Arrow Vision that we love. I am looking into upgrading to 50A from 30A. I know that i need to install a power distribution/circuit panel for the 50A. I also know i need the bigger 4 wire cord for the shore power. What else would i need for the rest of the house power?
You will also need 6ga four conductor wire from the transfer switch to the circuit breaker panel. You may not need a new panel if the old one has enough spaces and is capable of having split legs for the two 120v circuits. I did the conversion on my Itasca from 30amp to 50amp and running the new wire to the circuit breaker panel was the hardest part of the job. The rest was easy if you are competent in electrical.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

I do have 2 120v legs on my current panel, so just switch out the 30/20 to 50/? Do i keep the rest of the 20A breakers for everything else? 6g solid conductor wire? The transfer box...that is the one in the dump valve/water fill area that the 30A shore power runs into now? I'm pretty positive in my ability to do the conversion. Just want to know what i would need. Thank you guys for the replies!
Old 08-26-2016, 08:05 PM   #5

dual 50 for the main and the rest stays assuming it was wired correctly in the first place. You will want to move some breakers to proportion the loads between the two legs.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:10 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenrustie View Post
I do have 2 120v legs on my current panel, so just switch out the 30/20 to 50/? Do i keep the rest of the 20A breakers for everything else? 6g solid conductor wire? The transfer box...that is the one in the dump valve/water fill area that the 30A shore power runs into now? I'm pretty positive in my ability to do the conversion. Just want to know what i would need. Thank you guys for the replies!
You will have two 50amp breakers for the incoming shore power, then each branch circuit should have an appropriate size breaker. 6ga solid or stranded either one will work, just make sure it has a very good insulation or enclose it in plastic wire loom guard so it does not chafe through causing a short. The transfer switch is what switches from shore power to generator. Your vintage rig may not have an automatic transfer switch, just a manual plug system. While you are at it, I would add a Progressive Industries HW50C Energy Management System to monitor your power usage and quality of the shore power pedestal. It's protection for all of your electrical equipment.

Here is a step by step tutorial completed by Bob Hatch on doing a 30 to 50 amp conversion. I referred to this a lot when doing my conversion.
Converting the Rig to 50 amp service
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:20 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
How I did it.

This is how I did it. I had 2 Air conditioners and had to switch from one to the other with 30 amp service. could not run both at once. I wanted to be able to run both air conditioners at the same time. So I decided to install a 50 amp service. I bought a 30 ft 50 amp cord, a Marine 50 amp receptical and a 50 amp connector for the cord. I bought a small sub panel with 1ea 30 amp and 1ea 20 amp breaker. I ran 1 leg of the 50 amp receptical to the new sub panel 30 amp breaker which then goes to the 30 amp transfer switch that the old 30 amp cord hooked to. I then ran another 6g wire from the other leg to the new sub panel 20 amp breaker. which goes to the rear air conditioner. THis way I did not have to buy a 50 amp transfer switch, because the generator is only good for 30 amps. When I use the generator instead of shore power, it powers up everything like it normally did before changing to 50 amp. the only difference is the rear air conditioner will not work when on generator power. The link below Explains in more detail how I did it. my total cost was around $250 for cord, wire, connectors, breakers, and sub panel. for pictures see the second link below.
Hope this helps you.
Mel
https://rvbloggers.wordpress.com/201...my-motor-home/

https://goo.gl/photos/ra1jx5MQnqUEJRGr8
Old 08-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #8

Ok, i will remove the cover, and snap a pic. I'll post it here then maybe someone can get a better look at my panel. I will also snap one of the box behind the panel that has "AC front-AC rear- Gen. With Romex house type wire coming out of each hole below...?

Tags
electrical