Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomadia View Post
If you'd like more information on our battery setup, here's a direct link to our articles on our research and reasoning for going this route:

http://www.technomadia.com/lithium

- Cherie
Wow, great work and the type of stuff I have been looking for. thanks for the heads up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Is there some reason that all of you feel that you have to be away from civilization and the end of a power cord?

Barb

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #17

[QUOTE=Technomadia;1629406]

I went through your materials and I am impressed. Now I need someone who knows what they are doing and will construct and install it for I am sure this is far more than I want to tackle on my own. Considering the weight issues along with the power demands, this opens up a lot of potential. Question is, who knows this stuff well enough to hire the job done?
As soon as I make my RV purchase I intend to drive to Vagas and have the Universal Solar Solutions tracker installed if they check out. Can't trust web advertising. I would assume the solar system should be installed first so it can be matched into the system before the battery bank is built. From the images of your system, the size looks like I could double it and still be under the weight of a regular battery set up. Very good work!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Is there some reason that all of you feel that you have to be away from civilization and the end of a power cord?

Barb
I for one am an artist and need to get out there away from the usual places to find the greatest material for paintings. For some subjects you have to be there when the time, the light and the subject comes together in that magical moment that creates the most interesting paintings. This is why I also will be running powerful graphic computers and will be networked with my studio in Dallas. With all that, I would like to keep my wife happy by being able to keep the bedroom cool all night, or for at least 6 hours of running one air conditioner in the bedroom without the gen. Still don't know if I can for she likes the bedroom to be freezing when she sleeps. Hopefully we can meet half way and make it comfortable for us both.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post

Barb
For us, it's not camping if we can see, hear or smell other two legged mammals. To each his own.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #20

I was at Lifeline batteries last year. When I went in to talk to a friend of mine there was a guy working on a Wiinie Tour. I asked what he was doing and he said he was taking out 8 batteries. I said what? They had 16 GPL-6CT and had been messing around with what could be done with that size battery bank.

He said it was great to use but bad to charge even with the faster charge rate of a AGM. He said that 8 batteries was probably still over the top but 4 wasn't enough.

He also said the 6 GPL-4CT or 6 GPL-6CT would be the perfect set up for 95% of RV's if they boondock alot. And with solar charging would be awesome.

And yes, there are some that say solar is over rated? But there are some who say it is great?

I say it is great for me and my set up that I spent 4 months thinking about and doing my homework.

I have 6 GPL-6CT and 900 watts of solar now and I can say that I am very happy with it all.

I can run everything I want and I never run the gennie except for air.
I can do this in late fall and early spring and I have yet to angle my solar panels for better output. Maybe in the dead of winter I would have too.

But not yet!

And by the way, the guy working on the Tour coach was one of the owners from what I was told.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #21

"I would like to keep my wife happy by being able to keep the bedroom cool all night, or for at least 6 hours of running one air conditioner in the bedroom without the gen"
Christian- to be happy with your power setup, you must focus all your attention on the above quote. In it is the essential ingredient to a happy life. Ignore any small part of this matter, and your very existence will be in mortal peril. I can not say on the internet how I came to possess this vital knowledge for my own mortal existence would thereafter be in peril as well. Suffice it to say, if you can correctly calculate the required elements creating the appropriate BTU output accommodating full spousal cooling within the narrow bandwidth deemed acceptable, you will not only be gloriously free from the torturous agony of perpetual kvetching, but you will also be revered among men for solving one of the galaxy's most flummoxing afflictions.

You will also eclipse your computing necessities purely as a byproduct of the above. Best of luck. We anticipate reading of your success on the front page of the New York Times, with a companion article in Scientific American, along with dedication of a new Law of Thermodynamics in your namesake.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #22

Translation ... you can't get there from here.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian51 View Post
With all that, I would like to keep my wife happy by being able to keep the bedroom cool all night, or for at least 6 hours of running one air conditioner in the bedroom without the gen.
To meet the need of AC for 6 hrs off battery, you'll need a battery setup at least double what we have (ours is sized for about 2.5-3 hrs of AC time). You'll also of course, need a way to re-charge it all up ... and depending on solar alone is not likely to be realistic. Most RV roofs simply do not have enough footprint to place enough panels to reliably capture enough to run an AC for much length of time at all.

We will eventually add in solar to our setup, but it is with the intentions of running the basic household stuff and computers. When A/C is needed - the battery just helps us better manage *when* we need to seek other charging sources, like running the generator, or from the alternator while underway. And course, seeking cooler grounds where AC is not a necessity is always preferred, but not always practical.

As far as installers of LFP, there are some companies out there packaging up the cells for RV use. We've not checked in with any of them lately, so I don't know how they're doing or how their reputations are holding. When LFP becomes mainstream, there will be others offering it too - but the technology in this usage is still a touch on the bleeding edge and most of us experimenting with it are DIYers.

- Cherie
Technomadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #24

thrushl i have alot of pics on here .....some where ....lol

i fond a RV that was on fire and saved it
i made the RV around the solar system.. new roof all 37 feet
the roof was made of still framing to hold them all 11 is all most 1100 lbs well add air 2D tracking to them latter
your every day rv roof well not hole that much ... moved the AC to under the floor and moved the roof 16inc. up to where the top of the ac would have been
the inverter is 280 lbs SW 5000 watts 56 amps max 110v...
like i was saying up there to add wight you need to pull wight
i did do a long right up of how and why but its not on this website

this RV was just made for bondocking
it dos not have a shore cord
it dos not have a gen
rv is setting around 26.000 lbs

i am still working on this so where you see the inverter is setting well be moved
and see where the gen was is now a battery box

still alot more work to go but just did a 50 miles drive today in the FL rain

if you guys would like to know more late me know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120616_175047.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	41774   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120616_175122.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	41775  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-26 19.51.22_Lakeland_Florida_US.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	41776   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111214_184440.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	41777  

Old 07-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #25

Christian....I would also like to add my best wishes for your every success in reaching the promised land of RV energy self sufficiency.... have you considered a small nuclear reactor in place of your battery bank & all those solar panels?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #26

These responses are enjoyable and enlightening to read. I have no limits as to what I will go to in order to obtain my goals, if nothing else it is an enjoyable challenge. As a painter, the arthritis was making it difficult to paint so I invented a robotic painting tool to take the stress off my hands. Once I did it, I found I could paint at about 30 times the speed of my real hand and arm. So where there is a will there is a way! The solutions have to be found in the latest technologies and there is nothing more fun and interesting than exploring and solving puzzles. In seeing what Terri is doing, he is practicing his art skills for all artists are puzzle solvers. To me, the RV will be a new medium, a new art form to explore. I'm fired up with interest and excitement and I haven't even purchased one yet.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #27

nuclear reactor is the sun

now if i could get one of the allison DCs/AC trans off a newer city bus
Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #28

Get an 1800 rpm genny, fit it with a very tall exhaust pipe exiting 2' above your coach. You won't hear it, it will resolve your needs and last forever. I have 1800 hours on the one in my cruiser and it is not obnoxious to my harbor neighbors an my friends plug in to my system when we are at anchor because it is quieter than running their 3600 rpm genny.

Tags
batteries