Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian51 View Post
Ok, I see I have much to learn in this area of concern. I look to purchase my first RV in the next few months and plan to add a good solar setup and want to beef up my storage. I thought there would be issues with to many batteries. I have no idea what my power needs will be but I do know how cold the wife likes to keep herself down here in Texas. Add my addiction to having several computers going while I watch TV will also add to my needs. I saw one Prevost that had two huge what looked like 2-300 pound batteries to run on. Didn't think much of it at the time and can't find the post now.
Running A/Cs on battery power is not a good idea. Use your generator.

But let's review your possible uses of electrical power and 120VAC.

1. On the road travelling - Depending on unit, the generator set is probably producing 5000 watts to 20,000 watts. Enough to power your Cray, your A/Cs, your microwave, and a couple of hair driers.

2. In a campground, shore power will provide 30 or 50amps which works out to about 120V x 30amps = 3600 Watts or with 50 amps = 6000 Watts.

3. Boondocking (parked with no shoreline) = # and Amp/hrs of your batteries AND the output of your inverter.

How will you be using your coach?
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraKen View Post
2. In a campground, shore power will provide 30 or 50amps which works out to about 120V x 30amps = 3600 Watts or with 50 amps = 6000 Watts.
Campground 50amp is 240V x 50amp = 12,000 Watts.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraKen View Post
with 50 amps = 6000 Watts.
Actually, on a 50 AMP circuit, it is 240 volt, but we use two 120 volt legs (L1 & L2). Therefore a 50 amp circuit has 12,000 watts of power.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Special View Post
Actually, on a 50 AMP circuit, it is 240 volt, but we use two 120 volt legs (L1 & L2). Therefore a 50 amp circuit has 12,000 watts of power.
Ouch! Then even a 1kw solar system isn't much more than a strong battery charger and for running small things. I didn't want to fuss with DW over energy management but doesn't sound like it can be avoided. Oh well, she is fired up enough over the idea that she'll just have to deal with it.
Christian51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian51

Ouch! Then even a 1kw solar system isn't much more than a strong battery charger and for running small things. I didn't want to fuss with DW over energy management but doesn't sound like it can be avoided. Oh well, she is fired up enough over the idea that she'll just have to deal with it.
Christian....seriously man. Before you spend mucho $$$$ trying to solve a problem you may not even have ....why not buy your dream RV and start using it. Once you know how often and how much time you spend away from power pedestals ( in stifling heat) you can decide on your best solutions. I think most of us....if we found ourselves in a secluded boon docking location....it was AC necessary hot (we didn't want nor could we stand to be outside)...we needed to run our powerful energy sucking "inside" computers....and needed to pull frozen ice cream from our double door residential fridge....we be running that 12K generator with power to spare!

In these conditions .....you're going to have your rig pretty much sealed-up, .......your 3 AC's units will be " howling away,....no one will be outside enjoying the peace & serenity of the landscape....and you won't even notice or "hear" your generator ( nor will you bothering anyone with all the noise)......There you go problem solved....saved ya thousands of $$$$.... You're welcome.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Christian, unfortunately I don't think the technological solution that you're seeking is currently available. If, however, you do find, please share the info with us.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #35

Thanks all! Could you imagine how ignorant we uneducated first time buyers would be without this forum? I know I will need and want more than the RV comes with so when I purchase, I'm going to tackle the battery bank first. Then when it is good to go I will move to the solar part so to make it match. It seems the safest bet is to go with a large GPL battery bank since it can be configured easily. I will wait for the Lithium batteries until they are perfected into an RV specific package which shouldn't be long. The Prevost I am looking at has a Power tech 20kw just in front of the tag axle so I hope they're a quiet gen. If seriously loud, that would draw me to an RV where the gen is up front like in the Cornerstone. Far from the bedroom. I won't know till I put the sales people through their paces.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #36

Techno, you must keep us all informed on your progress and if Elitepower is following you, I hope they will produce an RV specific setup. When a perfected package is formed, I'll be anxious to get in line. The future has to be buried in these new technologies. You go brother!
Old 07-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian51 View Post
Thanks all! Could you imagine how ignorant we uneducated first time buyers would be without this forum? I know I will need and want more than the RV comes with so when I purchase, I'm going to tackle the battery bank first. Then when it is good to go I will move to the solar part so to make it match. It seems the safest bet is to go with a large GPL battery bank since it can be configured easily. I will wait for the Lithium batteries until they are perfected into an RV specific package which shouldn't be long. The Prevost I am looking at has a Power tech 20kw just in front of the tag axle so I hope they're a quiet gen. If seriously loud, that would draw me to an RV where the gen is up front like in the Cornerstone. Far from the bedroom. I won't know till I put the sales people through their paces.
I'd like to recommend that you get an exhaust extender for the genset since it sounds like you'll be doing quite a bit of boondocking with it before you get all your solar setup done. Here: Camco 44461 Gen-Turi RV Generator Exhaust Venting System : Amazon.com : Automotive

Lot's of people make their own.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I'd like to recommend that you get an exhaust extender for the genset since it sounds like you'll be doing quite a bit of boondocking with it before you get all your solar setup done. Here: Camco 44461 Gen-Turi RV Generator Exhaust Venting System : Amazon.com : Automotive

Lot's of people make their own.
Jim, it is on my list!
Old 07-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #39

If you are camping in the Southwest a lot, you might consider putting in an evaporative cooler for the bedroom. Then all you need is power for the fan and the water pump.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe the roof could have a combination of solar panels and battery banks.

Plenty of room up there to have both.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Christian, unfortunately I don't think the technological solution that you're seeking is currently available. If, however, you do find, please share the info with us.
Nonsense.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Special View Post

You and Flying D are, of course, both correct.

Thanks for catching my error.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries