Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #43

I do a little watercolor dabbing when I travel.. Would driving the toad from a campground be a non-starter?

Takes less than 10 minutes to set up and I paint as long as I want. When through for the day it's another 10 minutes to break down the "studio" and then drive back to the campground.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #44

so every one knows running one 15000 btu roof ac unit on a low cost MD 12v dc inverter well pull 160 apms DC

i did this test befor i started work on my RV

info came from trimetric 2025

i have seen some dc air conditioner compressor so i well try to install one of them down the road soon i hope this type of system would only pull 8 amps 24v dc and with a system like i have run all day

http://www.ra.danfoss.com/TechnicalI...c100edw302.pdf
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #45

[QUOTE=UltraKen;1631099]I do a little watercolor dabbing when I travel.. Would driving the toad from a campground be a non-starter?
Oh the lovely French Easel, mine is 45 years old and still going. Nothing like painting on location.
Christian51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #46

Super B 12V160E 12 volt Lithium Ion (LiFePO4) Traction/Deep-Cycle Battery | SEPBatteries.com Here are Lithium RV batteries advertised with build in charge balancing. Now if they have the full package to manage them, then we're getting close.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #47

Odyssey Battery: Get to know more about Lithium rv battery- This link refers to the Lithium battery as an upgrade. But I cannot find a charge controller that I'm sure would handle a large set of these. The weight of these is fantastic compared to Acid. Add that you wouldn't have to run the gen a fraction of the time to recharge, they sound like a nice solution. Hope one of you more knowledgeable fellows can enlighten us further if you can see how these could be incorporated into a Class A. Here is another link discussing lithium batteries in their RV. Lithium Ion Batteries for RVs - General RV Information - Escapees Discussion Forum
Old 07-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #48

Evaporative cooler seems like a good way to go, this one fits in one of a RVs vent holes: Stay Cool with TurboKOOL - Advanced RV Evaporative Air (Swamp) Coolers

Much lower current then a traditional A/C. I know out here in the western deserts with our low moisture, it'll work great.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #49

Would not an Evaporative cooler put more moisture in the air? I wouldn't want that I don't believe, not great on electronics. Course living in Texas, I'm more interested in escaping the heat when I can. One thing I don't like down here is living indoors all the time to escape the summer heat so an RV will be an escape machine. And when we are here, the wife likes cold, not cool. If she sets the thermostat, I have to sleep with a blanket! If she is uncomfortable, we won't get to use an RV very often so best just spend the money it takes and make sure she is.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Love it!!!

When I get me one . . .
Old 07-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #51

Of course an evap cooler would put moisture in the air. That's how they work. But if the relative humidity where you are using it is 35% or less, it'll work great. And as an electronics professional, I can tell you that electronic devices are no more bothered by moisture then they are by cats with two tails. Takes years for moisture in the air to disrupt an electronic circuit. Problem is when you dump a glass of water into one. Then there's trouble. Humidity? Not an issue.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #52

Come to think if it, it is not the electronics as much as our stuff, the coach itself that would concern me with moisture. Here around Shreveport moisture and mold is the home owners enemy number one. Not so when we get back to Dallas where it is far dryer. still, there is no reason we can't have the battery power to do it. 4 large Lithium batteries would be like 24 acid batteries at the weight of 8. And the charging time would still be less than charging 8 acid batteries. Course the cost would be about 10 grand plus installation but hey, its for a good cause, DW.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #53

Posted on subject on other threads.

We have run the 1.5 kW air conditioner on our Open Range Roamer 337RLS for over three hours numerous times as a combination of 1.4 kW of solar, 4.0 kW pure sine-wave inverter and 9.7 kW-hours (760 amp-hours at 12 nominal volts) of lithium iron-phosphate (LFP) batteries). We have only hooked up to line power and a 1.0 kW Honda generator for test purpose in the six months since our son Cary designed and fabricated the system. The batteries themselves were fabricated by Manzanita Power

(Manzanita Micro)

Elaine ran the micro-wave for an hour yesterday and the solar kept up with the micro-wave, we may have dropped 250 W-hours in that time (3% power capacity). Even after three and a half hours of a/c, we were still above 50% power capacity. It can be done. We boondock almost exclusively and Cary designed system to be autonomous. Not using generator means there is a lot more wildlife. We had two young bull Mooose fighting for 45 minutes (more like teenagers scufflling) within 25 meters of our rig at Vedauwoo, Wyoming a few months ago. One needs to keep out of their way but they had not interest in us.

Voltage is 54 V from panels and the battery pack is set at 54 V (minimize power loss). This then goes to inverter and/or 12 V converter to power the rig.
Reed and Elaine Cundiff
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries