Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 05:09 PM   #1

Upgrade Opportunity. Worth it?

I am very interested in the collective knowledge and input on a very strange situation. First, some background:

A few months ago, we bought a 1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. It is in exceptionally good condition, not only for it's age, but in general. It has just under 100K mikes and every accessory, light, appliance, etc works as it should. I put new tires on it and we are planning on some longer trips and ultimately full timing in it upon our initial retirement period. We love the one we had purchased, have outfitted it to our specs and are really looking forward to touring with it.

HOWEVER, we have been presented with an opportunity to upgrade that will be very hard to pass up (I THINK) and here's where we need a little help.

The replacement will be a '95 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37 "C" model. Here are some figures I have to work with OURS vs NEW:

* 58K mikes, vs 98K miles. All things being equal will that make a big difference in a coach of that era? He had a mechanic pull the heads when he got the MH 4 years ago to have carbon build up removed. Is that a thing?
* 50A vs 30A. Will I really be able to take full advantage of a 50A electrical system over a 30A? Do I even want 50A? Wil I have trouble fining it in gov't campgrounds?
* 4 year old tires, vs <1 year old tires. Former owner says he spent close to $4000 on replacement tires 4 years ago. I think we was overcharged.
* 2 year old 12v deep cycle house batteries vs <1 year old 6v house batteries. Yeah, I know.
* Owner says he gets 8MPG at 62MPH all day long. Says great power, brakes are good and mechanically is in great shape. This is about the same as our '92. Does that sound right? He burns non-ethanol fuel only.
* 7.5KW Onan vs 7.0KW Onan. Hobbs time is unknown. Any comments on the 7.5KW unit?
* 37' vs 33'. Is the additional 4' going to make an appreciable difference on driveability parking, campsite spaces, boondocking, etc? What will my real world experience be?

We will be driving a few hours out to see it this weekend. We will have no problem paying cash for this one, but we have another one all paid for sitting in the driveway right now. I am VERY tempted to go for this one, but in order to make an informed decision, I have to have some of the questions listed above answered.

Help, please! I promise I'll follow up.
Lindan n Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindan n Jim View Post
I am very interested in the collective knowledge and input on a very strange situation. First, some background:

A few months ago, we bought a 1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. It is in exceptionally good condition, not only for it's age, but in general. It has just under 100K mikes and every accessory, light, appliance, etc works as it should. I put new tires on it and we are planning on some longer trips and ultimately full timing in it upon our initial retirement period. We love the one we had purchased, have outfitted it to our specs and are really looking forward to touring with it.

HOWEVER, we have been presented with an opportunity to upgrade that will be very hard to pass up (I THINK) and here's where we need a little help.

The replacement will be a '95 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37 "C" model. Here are some figures I have to work with OURS vs NEW:

* 58K mikes, vs 98K miles. All things being equal will that make a big difference in a coach of that era? He had a mechanic pull the heads when he got the MH 4 years ago to have carbon build up removed. Is that a thing?
* 50A vs 30A. Will I really be able to take full advantage of a 50A electrical system over a 30A? Do I even want 50A? Wil I have trouble fining it in gov't campgrounds?
* 4 year old tires, vs <1 year old tires. Former owner says he spent close to $4000 on replacement tires 4 years ago. I think we was overcharged.
* 2 year old 12v deep cycle house batteries vs <1 year old 6v house batteries. Yeah, I know.
* Owner says he gets 8MPG at 62MPH all day long. Says great power, brakes are good and mechanically is in great shape. This is about the same as our '92. Does that sound right? He burns non-ethanol fuel only.
* 7.5KW Onan vs 7.0KW Onan. Hobbs time is unknown. Any comments on the 7.5KW unit?
* 37' vs 33'. Is the additional 4' going to make an appreciable difference on driveability parking, campsite spaces, boondocking, etc? What will my real world experience be?

We will be driving a few hours out to see it this weekend. We will have no problem paying cash for this one, but we have another one all paid for sitting in the driveway right now. I am VERY tempted to go for this one, but in order to make an informed decision, I have to have some of the questions listed above answered.

The heads being pulled for carbon is a red flag. And 40k more miles on a gasser is significant. I don't know it's your choice and your money but seems you have a gem all ready. Another one might have issues you will not find until too late.

On the other hand just the fact that you are considering it seems to beg the question of why are you looking?

JMHO
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

The devil you know is often better then the one you don't. Good luck with your decision. I'd keep what you have, they are both old like mine, whats a couple years.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
100,000 miles is getting into the "very hard to sell" category for a gas coach.
When we had a gasser we sold it at 64,000 and even that took a while.
And yes, it was in perfect shape.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:

I'm a little confused--you say yours has a little less than 100K on it. In the comparison above, you say the old is on the left and new on the right, but the 98K is on the right. Is the rest of the list in the right columns?

You don't say how much it'd cost to upgrade, but I don't see any compelling reason to do so. With a rig of that age, the tires are a big investment compared to the value of the coach.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #6

No matter what the owner says, buying a used coach is a crap shoot. It might be a gem now, but you take a chance on how long it will be. It sounds like you would upgrade in mileage, size, and 50 amp vs 30 amp. (it will run on 30 amp just fine if 50 amp isn't available) Does the 95 have more load capacity or less than the 92? Can you sell the 92 for what you have into it? A 25 year old gas MH with 100,000 miles will be very difficult to sell unless you bought it cheap. What is the difference in $$$$$ between what you will pay for the 95 vs the realistic selling price of the 92? Is it worth that amount to you. Unless you already have a buyer for your 92, are you prepared to own both for weeks or months till it sells?

Only you can determine the answers to your original questions. Any opinions you get here are those expressed by people who do not know what's important to you. If it would not affect your lifestyle to own both for several months and you like what you see, then buy it and try it for awhile. After a couple of trips, you will know which one is right for you and sell the other one. I have done this with airplanes in the past. It didn't take long to find out which one would serve me better and I sold the other one.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My opinions below....

Quote:

* 58K mikes, vs 98K miles. All things being equal will that make a big difference in a coach of that era? He had a mechanic pull the heads when he got the MH 4 years ago to have carbon build up removed. Is that a thing? The lower miles on a gas is a plus, but removing carbon build up at 58K miles? Do some research on that engine to see if it is a characteristic for that model. Perhaps it is a big red flag. If it was me looking at this coach, I would ask for written evidence (an invoice) and if they don't have it........
* 50A vs 30A. Will I really be able to take full advantage of a 50A electrical system over a 30A? Do I even want 50A? Wil I have trouble fining it in gov't campgrounds? 50A is much preferred.
* 4 year old tires, vs <1 year old tires. Former owner says he spent close to $4000 on replacement tires 4 years ago. I think we was overcharged. Depends a little on brand & model. Are they cheap tires from China?
* 2 year old 12v deep cycle house batteries vs <1 year old 6v house batteries. Yeah, I know. This is just stuff and wouldn't factor in to my decision process, other than to suggest to me the owner didn't understand enough about batteries to know 6v is better for an RV. (assuming there is room for two 6v instead of one 12v) So what else is a bit askew?
* Owner says he gets 8MPG at 62MPH all day long. Says great power, brakes are good and mechanically is in great shape. This is about the same as our '92. Does that sound right? He burns non-ethanol fuel only. Passes the smell test.
* 7.5KW Onan vs 7.0KW Onan. Hobbs time is unknown. Any comments on the 7.5KW unit? Every little bit extra helps when you need it.
* 37' vs 33'. Is the additional 4' going to make an appreciable difference on driveability parking, campsite spaces, boondocking, etc? What will my real world experience be? Extra 4' would be a big plus. Not only inside the coach, but should also bring extra storage below.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #8

I'd much rather have 50 amp than 30 amp. You need both ACs running in hot weather.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Significantly lower mileage on the rig is a big plus. Depending on layout, the extra space can be a blessing. Keep in mind, the added length is multiplied by the width so 5' of length equals 40 sq ft of living/storage space. Tire age is very important and depending on how the coach has been stored, (sunlight, use, etc.) the tires may need to be replaced. 50 amp service is a big plus. I had a 32 ft coach with two airs and only a 30 amp service. Had to run the generator to use second air in hot weather. Floor-plan, how it's been used and stored, overall condition, service history are all important to consider.

Everything else being equal, I would choose the longer, newer, lower mileage coach with 50 amp service, especially if I were going to consider full-timing in it.

Good luck
Old 08-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
why not swap your newer stuff tires battery's ect from your rig to the new one
then you have the best of both
Old 08-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #11

We purchased a used MH this past spring that is a 1994, everything works perfect, only issues was to replace house batteries and going to replace steering tires just for piece of mind. Fridge was replaced about 7 yrs back as well as generator and they have seen little use since. Coach was stored inside most of its life except for the past two years. It has 85000miles and runs like a top. It sat for 6 weeks while I recovered from heart surgery but went out the other day and it fired right up instantly. It also uses no oil and has had a diet of full synthetic most of its life. Would I want to trade it for another?? Heck no....I know what I have and it is all good so why gamble. Lots of horror stories from people buying older coaches with very few miles on them and have corrosion problems from just sitting and not being used. Ask any long time gas owner....better to use them than to let them sit!! Just my two cents ...your money...have fun.
airshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Three years is not enough to warrant a move...IMHO.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #13

Don't know if I've seen a 37' 1995 class c with or without 50 amp. They usually have 16" tires which are cheaper but small for a 37' anything.
Have you seen it?
Your new tires are a big deal
If your going to camp in extreme weather 50 amps is better
Knowing what you already have is important
Class a with basement is better
They probably decarboned the heads because it wasn't running good.
I'd keep what you have.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
Don't know if I've seen a 37' 1995 class c with or without 50 amp..
OP isn't talking about a Class C. They're talking about a 37C floorplan on a Class A Pace Arrow.

To the OP: Don't believe what the owner says. They can make any claims all day long & until the cows come home to sell. Be sure you have the newer one checked out by a qualified RV mechanic. I think you'll like the extra space. Ours is a hair over 37ft & we've not had any trouble getting in to campsites. To me, 50A is better than 30A, especially if you RV in places where it's not. You'll much prefer being able to run both AC's. Not sure if that era Fleetwood had an energy management system or not. If it does, you won't have to worry about popping any breakers. The system will manage the load & shed what it needs to stay within the amp specs. If it works out, as previously stated, as long as they're equivalent, swap your new tires for the older ones on the 95 & if there's any of the upgrades you put on yours you can remove, put them in the newer one.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade