Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 06:18 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Upgrade radio to XM with GPS

Have 2005 Fleetwood discovery 39L, wanting to upgrade radio to xm and add gps system. Any recommendations??
Jhsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 06:38 AM   #2

Maybe this will help you.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/the-...ry-430076.html

I don't recommend the Xite unit, quite a few complaints about them. We have one and I'll be replacing it also. I will only consider Garmin mapping, no more Rand McNally.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I want to caution you about some of the draw backs of a GPS that is part of the radio. Usually the GPS is not easy to update the maps and, if it can be updated you will have to pay $50 to $150 for each update. You probably won't be able to pre-plan routes on your computer and transfer them to that GPS. If you end up not liking that GPS you will need to replace the entire radio system.
Most stand alone GPS units come with lifetime maps as part of the purchase, can be connected to your computer for routing, and if you don't like it or it quits you only have to replace the GPS unit.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #4

Dennis is exactly right. I recently purchased a Garmin 770 RV. You can carry it to your easy chair and plan and store multiple trips. It is easy to edit if you do not like the route it chooses. I bought mine from the GPS Store, they have a package that includes carrying case, friction mount platform, cleaner ,cables , and free shipping, for the same price as bare unit on Amazon. Customer service is good as well.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #5
cvd

Slightly off topic, but I've been wondering why I don't see Bluetooth and smart phone integration (i.e. Android Auto or Apple Carplay) in RV's? That would allow easy use of Google Maps for navigation. Yes, there are advantages of a dedicated GPS (big rig specific navigation, no cell connection required), but I'd like the smart phone driven navigation as an option (like most new cars now have).
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You can always use your smart phone apps (Google Maps, or wherever) as backup, but the RV specific GPS units have the height and weight routing so you don't end up on a road with a low Clarence bridge or a weight restriction - which is not a concern in a car.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would also caution against in-dash GPS based on my own recent experience with it. I made the mistake of taking that option on my current MH. Aside from the cost of updating the maps each year, which is not inexpensive, I also found that the display was too small for the viewing distance in a MH, and that the placement in the dash was too far from the line of sight you need to maintain for driving. This combined with the small display size made it uncomfortable to use. So I just punted and bought a Garmin RV 770 this past summer that is a great size, very clear display and just to the right of and nearly level with my driving line of sight. The whole experience of using it vs. the in-dash GPS is hugely improved. And the map updates are free for the foreseeable future. Hope this is helpful for you. Safe travels.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Seems like I just saw a thread where someone was complaining that the free map update was not really free.

There are many aftermarket radios that will connect to your Garmin so turn by turn comes through the radio while you enjoy your favorite tunes.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #9

Seriously, you guys have to pay to upsmdate your built in GPS? I don't. My coach came with the 7" Xcite radio with Sirius/XM and a Rand McNally GPS. The GPS programming resides on a memory card that pops into your PC for map updates. It doesn't cost anything to update the maps. And, if you use the Good Sam trip planner, you can download your route to the GPS card. However, the Good Sam trip planner is going away at the end of March, and I don't know if there is any other trip planner compatible with downloading routes to the Rand McNally GPS.

I like having the radio and GPS in one unit so I don't have so many screens on the dash.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Some old and bad info. Most new units come with SD cards that allow you update the maps by just updating the card. How many people REALLY update an RV GPS every year. Typically, the only thing that changes are the addition of new neighborhoods. Most of the driving you'll do in an RV hasn't changed in 10 years. In this date and age, most GPS units do the same thing and provide the same service (Magellan, Garmin, Rand McNally).

The link regarding the "Xite is History"....is a post I wrote. I didn't care for the Xite radio, it was just like the old Magnadynes that came in Monaco's years ago. I replaced it for MANY reasons with a Kenwood AM/FM/XM with GPS. Personally, I like an in-dash radio/GPS. The Kenwood has a 7" screen. We actually run two GPS units. We run a Magellan next to my wife's seat so she can look up stuff while were moving.

Personally, I never preload more than a days drive. We plan our trips on Microsoft Streets and Trips, but don't plan such a tight schedule that we need the whole thing loaded in the GPS. I installed a Pioneer AVIC D1 with AM/FM/XM/GPS in my Monaco Diplomat 15 years ago and it was still operating flawlessly 10 years later when I sold it.....as far as I know, it's still working today.

To each their own, get what works for you!
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:53 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks Dennis, good information
Jhsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:35 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
Seriously, you guys have to pay to upsmdate your built in GPS? I don't. My coach came with the 7" Xcite radio with Sirius/XM and a Rand McNally GPS. The GPS programming resides on a memory card that pops into your PC for map updates. It doesn't cost anything to update the maps. And, if you use the Good Sam trip planner, you can download your route to the GPS card. However, the Good Sam trip planner is going away at the end of March, and I don't know if there is any other trip planner compatible with downloading routes to the Rand McNally GPS.

I like having the radio and GPS in one unit so I don't have so many screens on the dash.
Yes, if you get an in-dash Garmin GPS, typically bundled with a Kenwood or some other receiver, you get to pay for your map updates. Updates are via SD Card as you noted. In most new coaches you don't get to pick the bundle manufacturer. If you are going the aftermarket route, that's obviously not the case. If you get free updates, why wouldn't you keep your GPS up to date. I can understand if you pay for them that you might do it every other year. Everyone has different preferences on how they like their dash configured, but regardless, you need the setup you choose to give you clear and instant line of sight to your unit, otherwise you are driving distracted. Sounds like your set up is perfectly fine for you. However on an older coach, in-dash placement options are typically more limited. I'm sure the OP is considering the same criteria.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rug cane with a Kenwood all in one unit. Last year I was told that map updates were no longer available. Looking to buy the new Kenwood DNX775RVS unit. You can hook their dash cam to it as well as your cell phone. Problem is that it's so new that no one has them yet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:51 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
the Good Sam trip planner is going away at the end of March, and I don't know if there is any other trip planner compatible with downloading routes to the Rand McNally GPS.
The Good Sam trip planner is just a version of the Rand McNally trip planner. Perhaps, that will work as well with our Xite units. I need to check it out. We currently use the GS trip planner and transfer the trip to our Xite. In doing so we see current maps updating as well. So we update maps frequently.

Personally, my Xite system works great. It took me a while to learn the ins and outs of the Rand McNally GPS but once I put the time in I found it works well. It is different than the way a Garmin works, but that’s not a real problem..

Xite did have some issues with the way the system operated but those were pretty much all remedied with constant updating.

Tags
gps, upgrade, radio