Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #1

Smile Upgrade to new style headlight assemblies

Good morning. You fellow RV ers have helped me once before, so I'm back with a new issue. We don't drive much after dark any more, but once in a while we seem forced to do it mostly because of poor planning. We have a 2005 Monaco Dynasty that we really like. I would like to upgrade the head light assemblies with new style aftermarket LED or HID lights. Now I know most motorhomes use automotive head light assemblies. Does anyone know what make, year, and model of auto they used on the 05 Dynasty? If I have that info it would be easier for me to shop for them. Thanks in advance ...Harvey

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 07:35 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBEH View Post
Good morning. You fellow RV ers have helped me once before, so I'm back with a new issue. We don't drive much after dark any more, but once in a while we seem forced to do it mostly because of poor planning. We have a 2005 Monaco Dynasty that we really like. I would like to upgrade the head light assemblies with new style aftermarket LED or HID lights. Now I know most motorhomes use automotive head light assemblies. Does anyone know what make, year, and model of auto they used on the 05 Dynasty? If I have that info it would be easier for me to shop for them. Thanks in advance ...Harvey
Show picture of your headlight

Old 03-07-2017, 07:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
If they are 7 inch you can go led very nice
Old 03-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Jw speaker make the best
Old 03-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #5

My 07 Monaco knight uses 99-05 Ford F-150 headlights, I have ordered led -hid upgrades but haven't installed them. Hope they fit they are one piece and the originals has a separate park lamp!
Old 03-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
monacojohn
can you post pictures of your old and the new thanks john
Old 03-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170226_223719.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	154151Click image for larger version

Name:	20170226_223733.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	154152
Old 03-07-2017, 08:33 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Works much better. Old headlights werr terrible and these are exelent. Some of our friends do not like these new hid but they just do not know what they are missing. They mention they are bothered with strong lights but tbey shound choose to drive during the day.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
This thread says that they come from a BMW. Hope that helps.
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV Headlight Replacement

There are several sites that sell various replacements. Here is one https://www.carid.com/2000-bmw-5-series-headlights/

I'm trying to figure out which vehicle had the ones on my 2001 National Islander if anyone knows.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Is there a site where these can be researched? I would love to know what is on mine. I'm going to try aiming them correctly first, but my headlights are terrible.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #11

LSBEH,
Well Sir, before getting to excited about the kids on the block (LED headlights etc.), one thing you may want to check is the input voltage to your existing headlights. You see, (no pun intended) many manufacturers run quite a few extra feet of wire to the headlights due to the fact that the harness's they use, fit multiple coaches, some longer, some shorter.

Extra feet in any wire typically results in voltage loss of some amount. And, in the case of headlights, ANY voltage loss results in poor headlighting. Not only that but, in many cases too, as a motor home ages, so do the connections to the headlights. About 99.999999% of the time, they are not protected and, can corrode very easily, especially since the front tires can basically shower most of the connections with water thrown off as they move down a wet rainy road.

So, just to make sure, a voltage test right at the plug for each headlight is the first priority. If you find anything less that say, 13.0 - 13.5 - 14.0, you're not getting full value from your present headlights. And of course, that's with the engine running.

About 80-95% of the time, the voltage and amperage for your headlights runs through the headlight switch which, in all reality, is not good for conveyance of higher voltage needed for top performance of headlights. But, it's a convenience so, that's why many manufacturers do it. It's done in a lot more vehicles than just motor homes too.

Anyway, if you find you have good voltage at the headlights, then it's time to take the next step in researching the new stuff available. And, when it comes to 7" round headlights, be very careful, there's lots of players in the LED game out there and there's also , LOTS OF JUNK. Research EVERYTHING, that includes out put patterns, cut-offs (so you don't blind on-coming drivers), lumens, lux, hot spots (spots in the pattern where it's much brighter than the rest of the pattern), blind or shallow spots (places where there's no light, like off to the side some for peripheral pattern depletion) and more.

All that not only applies to 7" round but, other forms too. As for just changing to LED bulbs, well, that's really a crap shoot too. ON many Jeep forums, there's days and days worth of discussion on LED headlights and, bulb changes etc. 98% of those boys say just changing to LED bulbs in existing housings is all but worthless due to the fact that the housings and reflectors are not designed for the type of light produced by LED bulbs.

So, just some info before you open your wallet. Good luck. Yep, I too have lousy headlights. Am going to start researching my best options too, very soon.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tried putting LED's in my original headlights. The gave a nice pattern out to about 50' then nothing, my fog lights did more. Trying to find new headlight assemblies but so far all I've found were ones with LED's around the perimeter but used the same bulbs for high and low beams.
Did buy some of the new, higher output bulbs to put in.
I wouldn't recommend just putting LED's in the old housing, they just don't aim correctly.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"LSBEH".....I owned a 2005 Monaco Diplomat. I decided to take on the project of improving the lighting. I started with reading this website. Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

There are a few things you should consider. To start, your headlight lens has a DOT number on it in one corner. If you Google that number, it will usually bring up the brand of lights that were used on your coach. Monaco used a lot of GM light assemblies. The lenses used by motor home companies, like the GM lenses, are actually aftermarket lenses and not OEM lenses. The OEM lenses cost about $200.00 each while the aftermarket lenses are less than half that price. The difference.....the after market lenses are not made to the same specs as the OEM and don't reflect light like they were originally designed. In my project, I bought the OEM lenses, but they did not provide enough of an improvement versus the cost.

There is a phenomena that occurs with motor homes. When you're driving your car, your seat placement has your line of sight just above your headlights. Your eyes naturally follow the headlights and you have good night time vision. On a motor home, you're well above the lights and looking down on them and the road, which doesn't work as well as siting behind them.

Your Monaco coach used the smallest wiring they could get away with at the time. Consequently, many of the Monaco headlights are underpowered and are not as bright as they should be. You should have a full 12 volts at the bulbs, but they are typically down around the high 10's to low 11's. This can be fixed and is discussed in the Daniel Stern website. I added relays from one of his kits, that let me use bigger wiring to power the lights. The relays were trigged by the OEM wiring. When I was done, the lights were brighter, but I also gained an advantage with the high beams. Typically, when you turn on the high beams, the low beams turn off. By adding the relays, the low beams stayed on when the high beams were switched on.

You should also have fog/driving lights on your coach, just below the headlights. In 2005, they were cheap inefficient lights. Mine were oval. I found Hella Driving Lights, I think they FF75's that fit into the same opening. The Hella driving lights produced a flat and bright beam.

When I was done, I was no longer over driving my headlights at night, when I drove above 55 mph. The biggest improvement were the relays, which also included insulated bulb holders and better quality Philips bulbs. The Hella's were also a big improvement, especially if aimed correctly.

Lastly, many believe you can just throw HID's or LEDs into an old style lens. They'll be brighter when looking at them, but the lens was not designed to disperse their light and the light will be thrown in all directions, except where you need it.

When you find what lenses your coach used, do an internet search and see if an aftermarket company makes that configuration with HID bulbs or projection style.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBEH View Post
Thanks to all that replied. I tried to attach a couple of pictures but don't know how to attach. They seem to be regular 4-lamp system behind a common clear plastic cover. I will check out the 99 - 2000 BMW 5 series
Thanks again Harvey

Tags
light, upgrade