Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing, Koni shocks all around to improve the ride. Improved the ride like night and day. Expensive, yes but will worth it.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #16

I see you've been a member since 2011, is that how long you've had whatever coach you have now? If so, you do have sometime under your belt to decide if it is a coach you wish to hang onto for more years ahead. If it is a newer coach, then good input from Gary and others on letting things go for awhile and get to know the coach.

No matter what, if you have not yet done so, do the free things first! Get four corner weights, and set the tire PSI per the Tire Manufacturers Charts. This can make a big difference on handling and comfort of ride.

If you feel you will keep this coach for say 5 plus years, then incremental changes would be the way to go. Others have mentioned some mod's that are worth doing, especially if on the F53 chassis. If you feel up to this yourself, great, if not, then a visit to a place like Henderson's Line-up could be a good idea. They go out with you in the coach, and test drive it. They then come back and share with you their perceptions on handling, and options to improve the handling.

If this is the F53, and you are keeping for 5 plus years, Kelderman (SP?) would be a more expensive chassis modification to add air ride. Reported as being well worth it, but those that have done it and are in the coach for long haul ahead.

On engine mod's. If this is a newer F53 with the 5Spd transmission, I would just run with what you have. The V10 is a high RPM loving engine, and coupled with the 5spd, is a solid performer. Yes, the UltraPower from Brazel's is one option, as well as Banks has applications for this engine too. But the newer V10 with the 5Spd has much less need for improvement then say the older 2 Valve, or early 3 Valve engines.

Go slow, and really look at your budget for the upgrades - as you can spend some serious coin.

If you feel that you may upgrade to a different unit within the next 5 years, then I'd do minimum modifications.

One mod we made on our 98 Bounder, with 99 F53 2 Valve Chassis, was Air Tabs. It was the least expensive modification for handling that we made, and it really helped on the shifting cross wind stability, as well as as big semi's going by.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Wow thanks everyone, I have been on a few trips, this is my second coach, I went from a air ride to shocks, wow I miss that. We are planning a trip from nj to Yellowstone, but we are not towing on that trip, so looking for gpm this year. Most trips we do a 50/50 with boondocking to save on costs. But this new rig comes with a big refrigerator but is only runs on ac. The coach has a small inverter now. On my personal vehicles I use a cold air intakes, and love them, but yes need to upgrade everything to see the most results.

Matt Davis
2014 35' Georgetown
V10
fr27davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:25 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like everyone says, use it and upgrade as the need arises. My Challenger 37KT had a lot of sway when passed and wondered around. I installed front and rear sway bars and a steering stabilizer. Problems fixed and less driver fatigue. My bedroom would get really warm, and front of coach was cold, so seeing the mods others did, changed the floor vents to larger (close-able) floor vents, again problem solved. In simple words, mod as needed. You will save money and have an ongoing project to keep the "how to" juices flowing. Enjoy..
Old 01-31-2015, 01:51 PM   #19

Upgrades

Buy a Tiffin 36LA and it is fine right out of the box handling wise, at least ours is. But then again I seldom drive faster than 60 mph as this is not a sports car.
Only upgrades I have made in 2 years is Progressive Industries surge and voltage protection and new water taps
Old 01-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #20

The details for any suspension and drivetrain upgrades are many and you can find all on this blog.

The CHF is easy, quick and free and makes a difference. I'm in the process of upgrading front shocks even though I don't have many miles on the OEM, every small upgrade has made a difference. I do drive fast, 70+ to stay with traffic on the open road, so suspension upgrades are worth it for me. Any front and rear stabilizers are well worth the time and money.

I noticed a huge difference with the 5 star tune, not cheap but worth the money in my opinion. If you're towing or driving mountain passes it's worth the money.

It will depend on how you drive your coach and how you want it to handle, some care more than others.

Tags
upgrade