Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club

Ok so I have a new Rv with gas engine and I a m thinking of some upgrades. First is it worth the cost and what order should I do it and is there anything I am missing. Cold air intake, air suspension system to help out the ride, solar panels and better batteries, a bigger inverter.

fr27davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
I looked at the tread where people post upgrades they done to their RV and I find all kind of good ideas I want to do on mine now
could be the best place to start reading
each owners forum has a upgrade tread read them ,they are pretty good to get real feed back on before and after

I just ordered a air ride to go on all wheel and independent control on all 4
I have hope to smooth the ride
I find it so rough the steering is moving
this will be my first upgrade and hope it will make a difference
so far many people mentioned it did not help while others mention it was day and night improvement ,so I guess i am going to find out soon

good luck

gridfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
Fr27davis and gridfighter, welcome to IRV2.
FR , if you want some meaningful help, you should give some helpful info, like brand and model, chassis mfg and weight rating. If on the other hand, you just want to throw your money away, you'll get lots of help with that too.😁
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #4

Not sure if fr27 means you have the smaller Forest River FR3, but I don't think just a cold air intake would make enough of a difference to be worth the expense. Solar panels are great if you dry camp a lot.
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
Best $12.00 I ever spent!

Amazon.com: Camco 42183 Screen Door Cross Bar (Black): Automotive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Door Cross Bar.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	83986  
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
I'd make a list with an estimate of cost, DiY project or not, and the benefit and then rank based on your needs. Do know of all issues that might crop up with your rig, has all the maintenance been completed.

For example, if you plan to do a lot of boon docking I'd consider the solar panels first then batteries then better inverter. If any of your upgrades would add to the safety of the rig they should be put first.

Once get them listed and ranked decide what kind of budget you have to work with and then start down the list.

Last year I had a couple repairs that I had to do that cost ~$1300, and then I spent another $1000 on maintenance and upgrades. Owning an RV is not cheap so you better pace yourself.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
My .02 cents;
Solar panels
Inverter (3000w)
Sway bar
Steer assist

Forget air-aid and the required engine mods unless you want to void the warranty. In order for a CAI to do any good, you would have to couple with throttle body, computer tune, exhaust and the list goes on. Then you have to wonder what the transmission will take. It's a motorhome, not a dragster....although ours will do 0-60 in 32sec! My ZL1 does it in 3.6-wifes SRT in 4.2
Welcome to IRV!
Brian & Nicola
2013 Discovery 40E "DISCO"
TOAD 2014 Wrangler
MiG & Xeena(German Shepards)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
For me, air bags (front and rear) for the suspensions was a big improvement and would be my first upgrade. Second would be the solar system. I will probably never get my money out of the system because I do not boondock that much; however, I like knowing I have it if I ever need it. My third recommendation is a fantastic fan in the coach with cover if you do not have one.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:10 AM   #9
For me, it was installing an EMS in the electric bay and changing the single stage converter to a three stage model.
2003 Itasca Sunrise 32v F53
Okiedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Hi fr27davis,
Consider doing nothing, at this time. Needs change over time. Use the coach and determine, based on how you use the coach, what upgrades are needed. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a person that purchases what I need not what I want.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #11
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi fr27davis,
Consider doing nothing, at this time. Needs change over time. Use the coach and determine, based on how you use the coach, what upgrades are needed. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a person that purchases what I need not what I want.
I fully agree with GaryKD. Use it for a while, then determine what, or if anything needs to be changed. There are a million aftermarket systems available that claim to do everything from double your gas mileage, to make the ride smoother than a 1974 Cadillac while increasing the acceleration from 0 to 90 in 6.4 seconds.

If after you get used to what it will and won't do, decide which items you'd like to improve upon and what they will cost. Do plenty of research on the items you decide to improve upon. Some may give you the ride or performance you want at a cost that can never be recovered. Also consider the effect on the resale value.

If you make significant changes to the engine, drivetrain, or suspension and 5 years later the company you bought the "upgrades" from goes out of business you may have an "orphan" that's no longer supported. Should that happen you'll get hit on the value at resale time. If the system needs parts that are no longer available you may be forced to return the systems to their original configuration.

For the record I'm not much of a believer in the claims made by aftermarket vendors. They're quick to take your money, but always have some excuse why you weren't able to achieve what they claim is possible.

We're on our second motorhome built on the Ford F53 chassis. The only thing we did to the first one was replace the shocks when they wore out (they now come with lifetime Bilsteins), and add a larger rear sway bar. We put over 100,000 miles on it and it rode and handled fine.

We have nearly 20,000 miles on our 2013 and haven't found the need to do any changes. At this point have no intention of making any changes.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #12
Ford f53 cheap handling fix. Brazzels rv rear track bar. Those two alone make such a huge improvement. Air bags aren't going to improve the ride unless you're sagging/heavy. I prefer the green air filter over k&n, the coach is geared such a way that cold air intake, throttle body spacer won't do much. Really need headers, exhaust and a tune for performance.
CHF and Rear track bar should be number one. I dont feel 18 wheelers at all now.
phnguyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Brazel's Ultra Tune makes amazing changes in the engine response with an increase in HP and almost eliminates the constant transmission gear changing. IMHO, I think it reduces a lot of wear and tear on the transmission by not shifting on every small grade. Before I bought my diesel I had a Ford V10 and it added a little in fuel economy. The next best thing was as phnguyk says Brazel's rear trak bar and Koni shocks. Much more stable ride as well as smoothing out the rough ride. My two cents.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD, Roadmaster Chassis, 8.3 Cummins, 2013 Honda CRV with a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar and SMI brake system
Alan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #14
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Use the coach for a while. That will help you identify what is important and what is "nice to have". Even after a couple of years I still make improvements. My last one was adding more USB charging areas for cell phones and tablets. Not every improvement is a big deal. One improvement was that I added a spare tire to the coach as ours did not come with one. I added solar panels after a few months on the road and we use them all the time. Let your experience be your guide.

aviator37 is offline   Reply With Quote