Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Upgrades to factory fog lights on the Eagles and Dreams

The factory fog lights in the lower valance on the front of my Dream light up but are next to useless.

Has anyone upgraded the factory lights and if so what did you use and how hard were they to mount.

I would not want the appearance to change (fit into the original spot).

I would also consider putting in driving lights rather than fog lights. As the unit is put away for the winter, I cannot check to see if they are wired such they only come on with low beams.

I do not have a good picture of them, but in this one you can just see them under the bumper in the valance

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #2

I removed the H 9420's- 47,000 candle power and installed H 9405's 100, candle power - about as bright as you can get without rewiring.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
I removed the H 9420's- 47,000 candle power and installed H 9405's 100, candle power - about as bright as you can get without rewiring.

Is that a blub or the whole lamp fixture. It would be nice not to have to run new power and install a rely to handle the power but have done that before. I'm pretty good at electrical

Old 12-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

You'll need the actual dimensions but these for a GMC Yukon are similar shape:

99 06 GMC Sierra Yukon Clear Bumper Fog Lights Direct Replacement Left Right | eBay

If I remember correctly, they are deep enough for a HID conversion (you'll need ballasts). So for about $65 total you could do a pair of HID fogs (in yellow HID) or white driving (6000K HID).

Or, if you are lucky, a HID conversion for your existing enclosures (depends on depth of housing ... HIDs are longer than a standard bulb).
Old 12-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #5

Looks like Race Car Wiring-- Nice !
Bulbs -- That's the whole Bulb- 2 prong plug in.
My Light fixtures are Grote S/S cans.
Now I can use your US DOT Number from the background when fueling !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Looks like Race Car Wiring-- Nice !
Bulbs -- That's the whole Bulb- 2 prong plug in.
My Light fixtures are Grote S/S cans.
Now I can use your US DOT Number from the background when fueling !
After my maintenance records were inspected, they pulled the DOT number saying that I was a private individual that occasionally pulled a combination for private use not for profit (pickup truck and trailer) over 10,000 pounds and that I did not need a DOT number for that. I originally applied for it as I travel though Ohio which is netorious for issuing tickets for not having the DOT number. I carry the documentation they gave me that I did not require the DOT number. Interestingly they would not provide that documentation (that I did not need a DOT number) and is why I applied for the number in the first place
Old 12-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
You'll need the actual dimensions but these for a GMC Yukon are similar shape:

99 06 GMC Sierra Yukon Clear Bumper Fog Lights Direct Replacement Left Right | eBay

If I remember correctly, they are deep enough for a HID conversion (you'll need ballasts). So for about $65 total you could do a pair of HID fogs (in yellow HID) or white driving (6000K HID).

Or, if you are lucky, a HID conversion for your existing enclosures (depends on depth of housing ... HIDs are longer than a standard bulb).
I'll have to get under the vehicle and take some measurements. Thanks
Old 12-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you looked at doing LEDs? Almost as bright as HIDs, cheaper too.
Hurricane Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Owner View Post
Have you looked at doing LEDs? Almost as bright as HIDs, cheaper too.
I'm not impressed by LED.

They are very bright to look at, but do not seem to throw as much light on objects as a filament bulb does.

They are very efficient (power wise) but think I want to stay old school here. Once I get the MH back from the shop I will look into replacing the bulbs as suggested above or the whole fixture if the circuit is alive when the high beams are on (put in driving lights).
Old 12-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I'm not impressed by LED.

They are very bright to look at, but do not seem to throw as much light on objects as a filament bulb does.

They are very efficient (power wise) but think I want to stay old school here. Once I get the MH back from the shop I will look into replacing the bulbs as suggested above or the whole fixture if the circuit is alive when the high beams are on (put in driving lights).
BTW, the reason I replaced the entire assembly in my Yukon was the silver reflector was deteriorated (almost gone).

Tags
lights