Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #15

It looks like I'll go with the Winegard Traveler to be able to get Direct TV HD. That also means the original cable that runs into the MH will need to be replaced with HDMI. I'll most likely skip the bedroom tv, since it's just me now, and I don't use that. I need to investigate the cable route, starting with removing the old roof mount. Thanks for all the discussion. It really helps.

Ron Everson
Ron Everson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #16
RV LIFE Support Team

The only cable that needs to be HDMI is from the receiver to the TV, not from the dish into the receiver.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
The only cable that needs to be HDMI is from the receiver to the TV, not from the dish into the receiver.
That's right. The traveller is an SWM dish...only one cable...coax that you have is fine.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #18

I see that the installation instructions say that the dish should be located at the centerline of the RV, not on the left side like the old dish. That means I'll need to run a new coax line (and power line) to the new location.

Thanks, Ron Everson.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Everson View Post
I see that the installation instructions say that the dish should be located at the centerline of the RV, not on the left side like the old dish. That means I'll need to run a new coax line (and power line) to the new location.

Thanks, Ron Everson.
They say within 3 to 5 degrees of level. It all depends on how much slope your roof has. Others have mounted it off center and levelled it using Dichor. Install the antenna and put a very thick bead of Dichor under the mounting flange on the down slope side and regular thickness on the upslope side. Screw in the upslope mounting screws but wait a day or two to screw in the downslope ones. This will allow the Dichor to harden and effectively form a relatively rigid spacer. (don't use self levelling Dichor for this. When you finally screw the downslope screws into the roof, cover the edges and all the heads with Dichor (self levelling or not.)
Old 09-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #20
RV LIFE Support Team

I would try the leveling with Dicor. Your roof may have extra support where the old antenna is. Also, if you do need to move it maybe you can just fish the wire from the old location. Depends on your roof construction.

If you do need to move it I would get the mounting plate.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 09-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I would install it in the original dish location and use some flat fender washers as spacers on the low side to get it relatively level. Otherwise your roof will look like it has been through the war zone.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #22

Good idea! I like the fender washers. I think I'll go that way. The only reason to mount it on the center line is to make it level when the MH is level. I can make it level using fender washers for shims and still use dicor to seal the unit to the roof (and screws, of course). I don't think the dish comes with fasteners. I'm assuming that I will use wood screws to screw into the thin layer of plywood that is under the rubber roof. If I'm lucky, I can hit a cross member with a few screws.

Ron Everson
Cortez, Colorado
2003 Bounder 37U
Freightliner XC chassis with Cummins 300 ISB
Old 09-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The Winegard Sat comes with wood screws. I personally don't like the idea of washers. Mount it in the center of the roof as instructed and just seal the few holes from the old dome. Make sure that there is nothing in the way of the satellite. They give you a dimension to ensure that the sat doesn't strike other items on the roof.

Once you have it installed, you need to run two cables from the Winegard unit. One is coax and the other is the control cable that powers the unit (both come with the satellite). More than likely, the cables will have to be stretched across the roof to an area where they can be dropped down inside the coach (where the equipment is located). If this is the case, use plastic cable hold downs every foot or so and then cover with Dicor self leveling sealant. If you need to cut/drill a new hole in he roof, I like to make that hole with a long (small) drill from inside the cabinet in the coach. This way you're more likely not to miss the cabinet when drill from above. If the drill passes through, than enlarge the hole.

Many say to seal the unit to the roof with Dicor….I disagree. I've installed four of these sats and I use silicone to install to the roof (under the unit) and then use Dicor to seal the exterior of the unit, covering each screwhead. When I place the sat down and finish installing the screws, I wipe away any excess silicone for the edge of the sat and the roof. What's the biggest complaint with silicone....hard to get off...exactly. What is Dicor known for, staying soft and conforming. The screws provided by Winegard are ample size and length, but I like the idea of silicone doing the bulk of the work. Dicor can get soft in hot weather and the screws provided, if used in an older roof, could pull out while driving. JMHO.

Lastly, once it's installed, don't get frustrated….the satellite has to be configured. This can be confusing and may require some help. It will go through several steps that determine what size and shape antenna is being used.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:57 PM   #24

I have used Direct tv for years but I dont like DTV customer service. I am considering switching to dish.
I have a 13 year old KVH dome that works fine but SD only and can get Dish too.
Does dish still broadcast in SD?
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:51 AM   #25
RV LIFE Support Team

Recommend to switch to stainless-steel screws to avoid the rust problem.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 09-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Everson View Post

Thanks, Ron Everson.
I have a Fleetwood MH and when I installed the Traveler I asked Fleetwood for info on where to mount it as it's not a particularly lightweight unit. They sent me a sketch of where they mount a dish from the factory which on my unit was left of center.

Bruce
2008 Fleetwood Terra LX
delornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by delornut View Post
I have a Fleetwood MH and when I installed the Traveler I asked Fleetwood for info on where to mount it as it's not a particularly lightweight unit. They sent me a sketch of where they mount a dish from the factory which on my unit was left of center.

Bruce
2008 Fleetwood Terra LX

Same with Forest River. Satellite backer is definitely off center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-335roof3.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	218597  
Old 09-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Get the RF mogul setup. Catches the satellite faster than the Winegard and is full HD. All parts can be replaced by the buyer rather than removing the whole thing and sending it in IF there is a problem.
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, directv, satellite