Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #1

Upgrading solar on discovery need wiring diagram

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for where the wires from the small Ac solar panel runs to. I know it goes up to the front where all the switches and Ac controls are from there not sure where it goes from there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt151 View Post
Does anybody have a wiring diagram for where the wires from the small Ac solar panel runs to. I know it goes up to the front where all the switches and Ac controls are from there not sure where it goes from there.
Don't know how yours is set up, but I had an '05 Diesel Bounder with the small panel on the front air conditioner. It didn't have a controller, and was connected to the rig +12v at the front air conditioner. It was hooked up through a diode and a red/green LED to tell when it was charging. There may have been a small resister in the setup too. It's been a while and I'm just not certain. I had good luck with the system but I had to replace the LED and diode (and the resistor?) when one of the leads on the back of the panel ended up with a broken solder connection. I don't know why that would have damaged the other parts, but a trip to Radio Shack got me the parts and it worked fine until we sold the rig in '08.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 PM   #3

I purchased a solar controller and a new 230watt panel I put the controller up by the Ac controls I have voltage from the panel to the controller but from the controller to the batteries I get a 3 volt drop at the batt I was just wondering if it goes straight to the batteries or what.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt151 View Post
I purchased a solar controller and a new 230watt panel I put the controller up by the Ac controls I have voltage from the panel to the controller but from the controller to the batteries I get a 3 volt drop at the batt I was just wondering if it goes straight to the batteries or what.
The little solar panel feeds voltage directly to the coach batteries through a small fuse (F18-3A) in the Battery Control Center box. There is no controller involved and I'm not sure exactly what voltage is output by the panel. It's purpose was only as a trickle charger for the house batteries and completely worthless for any other purpose.

It sounds like you just don't have large enough wires between the controller and the batteries.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:23 PM   #5

Yeah that's what I was thinking I think I will run another set of wires from controller to batt
Old 07-31-2014, 10:25 PM   #6

I wish I can find the wiring diagram for this coach
I just purchased this coach does your inverter run all your plugs or only some
Old 07-31-2014, 10:32 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you email FW customer service from their website, they will email any drawing you ask for.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You really need to drop down and read some solar threads. The wiring for the old small silver panel is way way too small. You have purchased a good panel and controller. Now you need to install it correctly. With as much panel as you have purchased you need to run New heavy wires from the panel to the controller, which needs to be mounted very near the battery bank and heavier yet wiring to the batteries.

LEN

Tags
solar, wiring, wiring diagram