Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Upgrading to 45 footer, size issues?

Hello all, just curious if any of you who own the larger class A RV's such as a 45 footer have any major issues with getting in and out of campgrounds, or being unable to stay someplace due to the long length? Also would like to hear any input or advice anyone has to share regarding fuel stops, general getting around, having to back it up, etc. I have a LONG drive (about 480') that I have to back into and up now, which the backing up part is no huge deal, I'm really good at that but I do have a somewhat tight area in which I have to turn and back into the driveway; obviously the 45 footer will have a tag axle. We'll be pulling a small toad as well. I'm wanting something bigger, better and a diesel as we're looking at going full time in the next few years. I figure it'll take me that long to fix all the issues and get it right so we can live in it! Looking pretty strongly at the Tiffin Zephyr, I've found a used one (2017) with low miles and a seemingly decent price. If anyone wants to chime in who owns one, please feel free to do so. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #2

I've owned two 36 footer RVs, one I drove without a toad, the 2nd one with...after 15 years of full timing, I can suggest that when you plan your route, and select the areas you plan on parking during the trip, always check the local RV parks web page. I always do that and these days, what they do is TELL YOU how much room they have at least 80% of the time. Even state or federal parks will let you know what size RVs will fit.

So if you do that, check their web sites, you'll not really have any problems because you'll know if they have room for your rig. But there will be a lot of parks where you just won't fit. That's why it'll be important to plan your trip days in advance so you'll have time to adjust the route.

I'll make one more recommendation...because your rig is so big, plan your trips so you're at the area you want to be after each days drive...at around 3:30 - 4:00. Daylight, plenty of time to cruise around and find somewhere else if your first choice won't work for you.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #3

45' is too small, get a 50' coach. [emoji3]
Old 04-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 43' and I've only had trouble once in ten years getting into a site. Only a small number of CGs have turns/roads that are a problem for large MHs. These are usually older parks that were built before so many larger rigs became popular. I've found that newer parks took the larger rigs into consideration when they planned their roads. Even some of the Nat'l parks, that used to limit size, can now accommodate us.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #5

There's not many places I can't get in or out of with my 40'. Previous was a 45' fiver with truck in front at 65'.... that occasionally got too tight. If you're asking here I recommend getting some training.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisv65 View Post
Hello all, just curious if any of you who own the larger class A RV's such as a 45 footer have any major issues with getting in and out of campgrounds, or being unable to stay someplace due to the long length? Also would like to hear any input or advice anyone has to share regarding fuel stops, general getting around, having to back it up, etc. I have a LONG drive (about 480') that I have to back into and up now, which the backing up part is no huge deal, I'm really good at that but I do have a somewhat tight area in which I have to turn and back into the driveway; obviously the 45 footer will have a tag axle. We'll be pulling a small toad as well. I'm wanting something bigger, better and a diesel as we're looking at going full time in the next few years. I figure it'll take me that long to fix all the issues and get it right so we can live in it! Looking pretty strongly at the Tiffin Zephyr, I've found a used one (2017) with low miles and a seemingly decent price. If anyone wants to chime in who owns one, please feel free to do so. Thanks!
GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We LOVE our 45' and pull a full size pickup as our toad.

Several items to consider:
1. ALWAYS think before you pull into ANYWHERE!!!! Fuel stops, parks, parking areas, etc. ANYWHERE and EVERYWARE!!! If you do that, as with us, you should be fine. You'll really enjoy the additional roominess. And TAGs make for a much smoother and more stable ride up and down the interstates.
2. Unless you've a mate who MUST have a park to camp in every night (or you're this way) don't worry too much about having a park to fit your needs. As others have states, I've NOT had a problem and NEVER make advanced reservations. BUT: I'm not at all concerned if I have to spend a night or two in a Walmart or comparable parking area. I'm - and you will be also - fully self contained. And if you have sufficient solar, you wont be disturbing others.
3. Whatever coach you decide on, make sure you take it for a looooong ride before you actually buy it. Take it down the interstate - preferably during a rush hour period so you will truly get the feeling for it's size. Also take it down some country roads - some light twisty will also give you a real-life feeling of what you're getting into. Yes, we do drive ours down country roads because we like the rural parts of the USA. DON'T MISS THESE!!!!!!! The people and local restaurants you'll find along the way are positively priceless.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:09 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
11/21/17 to now is 17 months...this is going to be expensive.

X2 on the above post. 14 years as half timers in a 42’ rig going out West every other summer for 2+ months without any reservations staying in mainly USFS CGs. Our favorite are the ones that do not take reservations and say 36’ MAX...keeps other big rigs out. Always find a site by arriving Monday and usually leave Friday so the working folks can get in. Sure finding sites big enough is harder with a big rig but it’s much easier today with Google Maps/Earth. I do not use them for fuel stops nor do I use the overpriced truck stops. Wherever GasBuddy has the least expensive fuel (40+ cents cheaper) is where I go if not too far out of the way...a mile.

Have to admit that unlike with the 42’, I have hit a few curbs with the 45’. After a year I’ve l learn what it takes to not hit them. I’ve always made 2 point turns in tight situations but it helps that I can backup without unhitching.

OP, not sure what would need upgrading on that new of a rig??? Last year I upgraded to a 10 year old rig and other than 2 new front tires there was nothing else that had to be done...OK some air leaks that lowered the pressures more than I liked after a day. I did spend $1000 on new smart LED TVs, $1300 on a DIY 900W solar system with an expensive mppt controller,
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:05 AM   #8

Go for it, tiffin makes a very nice coach, you will always appreciate the extra room and the ride quality will offset any aggravation you may have looking for a park. I have had to unhook my towed on a couple of occasions to get myself out of a situation that I created. I have also been in several rv parks that required me to unhook at the check in office either because of no pullthroughs available or simply because the park was to tight. The good news, you will get accustomed to the size very quickly and get just about anywhere you want.
Ahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:27 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
45' is too small, get a 50' coach. [emoji3]
….says the man with the 40' coach! LOL
Old 04-30-2019, 09:35 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
There's not many places I can't get in or out of with my 40'. Previous was a 45' fiver with truck in front at 65'.... that occasionally got too tight. If you're asking here I recommend getting some training.
I'm not concerned with driving or backing a 45' coach, I'm mainly more concerned with some campgrounds which aren't really built to handle them or have sites that they say will accommodate one but really are built for 40' or smaller. I've driven trucks and buses longer than 45' with no issues....as long as there's a moderate amount of maneuvering area! That 45' fiver with a truck could be a beast in some parks or out on the road somewhere in tight areas! Thx!
Old 04-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
11/21/17 to now is 17 months...this is going to be expensive.

OP, not sure what would need upgrading on that new of a rig??? Last year I upgraded to a 10 year old rig and other than 2 new front tires there was nothing else that had to be done...OK some air leaks that lowered the pressures more than I liked after a day. I did spend $1000 on new smart LED TVs, $1300 on a DIY 900W solar system with an expensive mppt controller,
Yep, I'm going to take a hit but I'm willing to absorb it to get what I really want. I really should have gotten a diesel and larger rig to begin with, that's what I mean by "upgrade". My current MH is nice and is cosmetically pleasing but I've had so many issues with it and I'm afraid more are coming up in the near future so I'm wanting to get one I'm more "happy" with which will make any issues that pop up easier to swallow. I've decided anything made by THOR is junk, due to the lack of quality control I've found on mine and read about others. I'm sure Tiffin's aren't perfect but they're probably built better and at least closer to where I'm located if I need to visit the factory. I'm looking at a 2017 Zephyr, low miles and in the two year old range where hopefully the previous owners have worked all or most of the kinks out (which is what I'm going thru right now! ).
Old 04-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahall View Post
Go for it, tiffin makes a very nice coach, you will always appreciate the extra room and the ride quality will offset any aggravation you may have looking for a park. I have had to unhook my towed on a couple of occasions to get myself out of a situation that I created. I have also been in several rv parks that required me to unhook at the check in office either because of no pullthroughs available or simply because the park was to tight. The good news, you will get accustomed to the size very quickly and get just about anywhere you want.
Yep, I think Tiffin is right up there amongst the leaders. We're probably going to be going FT here in the next few years so another reason to get a larger rig, plus, we like to travel with friends coming along and a larger coach will make it more comfortable for all.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Most of us have an acceptable size that we are unwilling to settle for less. I would say 40+ is my minimum acceptable length due to storage requirements and desirable floor plan configurations. I have found that my 45' will fit about anywhere that my minimum acceptable length coach would fit. I have found that the back end behind the axles can hang out in no mans land, so often times I am on a site that is suggested for a smaller RV. As far as maneuvering, if you get one with IFS, it will out maneuver a truck and traile any day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3587.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	244293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3591.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	606.1 KB
ID:	244294  

2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
You will find many public parks won’t be big enough for a 45. Even parks that have sites big enough may have tight roads. I have been very lucky not to have run into low hanging trees. You must go slow and be very careful.

We often scout out fueling stops with Google maps using the satellite view or driving by in the toad.

I am amazed at how tight my coach turns. We had a person park their car right in front of us at a Walmart. The parking lot was empty. I didn’t want to unhook the toad to get out. I looked at it and thought I can turn hard right and get out. The DW guided me and out we went. That car was five feet from my front end.

You will get into tough situations. Just relax and don’t panic or get upset. I speak from experience.