Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2015, 05:23 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I added a valve and a quick disconnect hose to my Mirada the same as I did in my Ole Toyhouse.

I modified the Mr Buddy and put a connector on the back so I could plug the coaches low pressure hose into the Mr buddy. I don't use those 1 lb bottles.

This is an old article showing how I modified my Mr Buddy. The next time I do this, instead of "T" the internal low pressure tube, I'm just going to disconnect the low pressure tube from the internal regulator, and run it directly to my hose fitting.

How to - Ventless Heater - Improvement and Do-It-Yourself Projects you have done to Share! - Toyota Motorhome Discussion Board

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #16

Mr. Heater...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Nomad View Post
Heating our 30' MH quickly uses up our 17 gallon propane tank. We're going to install a 20,000 BTU Vent-Free Propane Heater because of the inefficiency of RV furnaces in terms of propane use and battery power consumption,

Some common brands are Kozy World, Empire Comfort Systems, ProCom, and Mr. Heater.

Does anyone have an idea which of these brands are most reliable and are of the best quality. Also, it would be great if you can share your experience with any of these Vent-Free Propane Heaters.

IF...You do use one of those...I have used many different Types in My Day...Until the Greenhouse Burned Down...I Still Do Have a Mr. Heater IF I Need it In an emergency situation... ONLY USE THEM WHEN YOU ARE IN AND CAN SEE IT...NEVER USE WHEN-OUT OR SLEEPING...

Thanks

I had a Mr. Heater OR equivalent In a Greenhouse...To Keep My Palm Trees from Freezing...The Greenhouse Burned Down...The Fire Chief Questioned Me about the Heater I had used...He Then said that that Causes A Lot House Fires...People Trying to Keep Warm on the cheap...I would Stick with Maybe a Newer RV Forced air Or even a Newer Non-Forced RV Heater (Vented)...As Newer Models are More efficient...

I Had Just Upgraded All My Appliances & AC...Plus Added a Stove/Oven Combo...I do not Nuke My Food plus now I can Bake a Pizza...Newer Appliances ARE More efficient...Unless You Just go by the Price...
Old 07-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
So I guess it's not really ventless.

So I guess it's not really safe.

Let me make sure I understand this. You describe the indoor use of a "ventless" flame heater that requires venting, runs hot enough to melt things within two feet, and produces carbon monoxide, and you think the "one BIG problem" is that is doesn't work very well above 4000 ft in mountains.

Did I miss something?

John & Diane, Fulltime since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
No you didn't miss anything!

When I was a Webelo Scout at the age of ten, I used to sleep in a tent with a white gas Coleman catalytic heater when we winter camped with the Boy Scouts. That's where I learned about how to respect the device, (and fuel it up), and that it can kill you, or keep you nice and toasty in a tent with snow falling outside.

That being said, the newer propane powered devices are even safer.

Yes, they are dangerous. Yes, people can die if they do not properly vent and all of the oxygen is depleted. Yes, they can ignite flammable items.

But, man, they are REALLY comfortable compared to freezing weather!
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #18

Thanks everyone who commented. We only boondock, so the electric heaters are not in the running. With proper ventilation, the Big Buddy seems to be the best option for us.

For years we have been camping in Lance Campers and we always left one propane burner on at night when the temps got into the 20's or 30's. In the morning, the camper was comfortable and we just waited for the sun to come up and do the green house effect.

No problems with that...... we're still alive and kicking

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Propane produces 91,330 btu's per gallon no matter what heater produces it. Some heaters don't need power to run them. But they still will produce the same amount of heat.
That is true, but the implication is not. You neglect the fact that the furnace dumps a considerable mount of the heat out the vent. The next time you run your furnace, go outside and (gingerly) touch the vent.

Ventless heaters still loose some heat because you need to keep a window cracked. However, the loss is nothing like what the furnace looses.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
That is true, but the implication is not. You neglect the fact that the furnace dumps a considerable mount of the heat out the vent. The next time you run your furnace, go outside and (gingerly) touch the vent.

Ventless heaters still loose some heat because you need to keep a window cracked. However, the loss is nothing like what the furnace looses.

Joel
Thanks Joel....... I was going to say the same thing. Very inefficient plus all the heat loss, with heating up the outside of the rig

Old 07-22-2015, 01:36 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carbon monoxide poisoning Symptoms - Mayo Clinic

We had a very close friend die of carbon monoxide poisoning several years ago.

There was a leak in the exhaust flue of the wall heater in their house.

Learn those symptoms.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post

Joel
I can certainly agree with the first part of your statement. Ventless keeps more of the heat where you want it while vented sends some heats (and carbon monoxide, and water) up the stack.
But saying that cracking a window "is nothing like what the furnace loses" is pretty sketchy.
I'm not sure folks realize how much they are gambling with their lives here. In my part of the country, you often get reports of CO poisoning....and death. Not to mention the horror of waking up to a fire in the motorhome and difficult ways to escape.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #23

From everything I can find about the Big Buddy says they produce insignificant amounts of CO. The principle is a double burner (catalytic) so it burns CO a second time to forum CO2.

Tags
heat, heater, propane, vent