RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #1

Upgrading to AGM batteries

Time to replace the batteries in my 05 Journey that still has original Dimensions inverter/charger that works. My question is will this charger correctly charge the AGM batteries ?
Been reading/researching for weeks and cannot find a firm yes/no..

Jeff-Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 06:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Ford View Post
Time to replace the batteries in my 05 Journey that still has original Dimensions inverter/charger that works. My question is will this charger correctly charge the AGM batteries ?

What knew of charger? The manual will be out there somewhere. If it does not definitively identify an AGM mode to set, then i believe the answer is no, it will not correctly charge agmís

Old 08-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Xantrex-Trace Inverter-Charger in my coach. The setup chart for Flooded vs AGM battery type shows the charging rates are not significantly different.

I don't think it will make any difference to the battery if the AGM battery is charged at a rate that is 0.2V higher (Flooded being charged at 14.6 and AGM getting charged at 14.4).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AGM vs Flooded charging voltages.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	257467  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
The reason you can't find a definite answer is because different models are designed for different battery types. Some have adjustments for different types, some will work for both flooded and AGM.

I have a WFCO 30 amp converter/charger. It works for both without adjustment. Higher power and those with sophisticated programing may need to be adjusted or set for different types. Some may not be good for AGM's at all.

The main difference is AGM batteries are sealed. If you apply a voltage that is too high, you will get excessive "boiling" of the electrolyte and it will vent. Venting in an AGM is a permanent loss. With flooded cells, you just add distilled water to replace what was lost.

For that reason some fast chargers need to be set to a slightly lower voltage to prevent venting.

Get a copy of the manual. Find manufacture and model number. Google search it. You will probably find a PDF manual you can down load. Read the manual for instructions.

Share the mfg and model with us. Someone may have one and can tell you what to do.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #5

Have you thought of upgrading to a better inverter as well?
Old 08-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #6

I have found the AGM's aren't nearly as picky as some types of batteries however to get the maximum benefit you need to program whatever type battery you have accordingly

So, you could use what you have until you upgrade and get along fine with AGM
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
What knew of charger? The manual will be out there somewhere. If it does not definitively identify an AGM mode to set, then i believe the answer is no, it will not correctly charge agmís
Here is a link to the manual.
https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electr...ons_owners.pdf

I have the 2000 watt model but they all have the same battery charger in them..
Old 08-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
The reason you can't find a definite answer is because different models are designed for different battery types. Some have adjustments for different types, some will work for both flooded and AGM.

I have a WFCO 30 amp converter/charger. It works for both without adjustment. Higher power and those with sophisticated programing may need to be adjusted or set for different types. Some may not be good for AGM's at all.

The main difference is AGM batteries are sealed. If you apply a voltage that is too high, you will get excessive "boiling" of the electrolyte and it will vent. Venting in an AGM is a permanent loss. With flooded cells, you just add distilled water to replace what was lost.

For that reason some fast chargers need to be set to a slightly lower voltage to prevent venting.

Get a copy of the manual. Find manufacture and model number. Google search it. You will probably find a PDF manual you can down load. Read the manual for instructions.

Share the mfg and model with us. Someone may have one and can tell you what to do.
I posted a link to the manual which covers all the different wattage inverters they make but it also has the chargers steps and volts to each step on page 16.
When selecting sealed batteries, it charges accept volts tp 14.2, float 13.2 and conditioning to 14.4-15...
Old 08-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Have you thought of upgrading to a better inverter as well?

Definitely thinking about it, but we donít do much dry camping..
Old 08-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
When I changed to AGM, I emailed the charger manual to Lifeline and asked them if the charger was OK to use with their AGM batteries. They came right back to me.
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #11

And said........?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
When I changed to AGM, I emailed the charger manual to Lifeline and asked them if the charger was OK to use with their AGM batteries. They came right back to me.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
And said........?
Here is the email I sent to Lifeline:

Good Morning,
I'm thinking about changing out the 12 volt flooded deep-cycle battery in my RV for two of your GPL-6CT 6 volt deep-cycle AGM batteries in series.
The battery charger in my RV is a multi-stage charger which includes an equalization mode that cannot be turned off, and there is no selectable AGM mode.
Please advise whether I can use this battery charger with your AGM batteries with acceptable service.

The charger specs:
Progressive Dynamics #PD4060K, 60 amps
BOOST Mode 14.4 Volts Ė Rapidly brings the RV battery up to 90% of full charge.
NORMAL Mode 13.6 Volts Ė Safely completes the charge.
STORAGE Mode 13.2 Volts Ė Maintains charge with minimal gassing or water loss.
EQUALIZATION Mode 14.4 Volts Ė Every 21 hours for a period of 15 minutes.

Lifeline's Response:

Ron,
That charger is fine to use. In fact, it is the only converter that we recommend. The voltages fall right within our guidelines and the equalization for 15 minutes once a day is not a problem since the voltage stays at the 14.4.
Justin Godber
Lifeline Batteries
292 E. Arrow Hwy
San Dimas, CA 91773

Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:46 AM   #13

Thumbs up

Quote:
Here is a link to the manual.
https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electr...ons_owners.pdf

I have the 2000 watt model but they all have the same battery charger in them..
Clear and unequivocal answer. Your charger is good for AGM and large battery banks.

I skimmed the manual and read the portion about battery charging. The good news is it has a setting for AGM batteries so it is good to go. It also has a setting for larger battery banks. Follow the instructions to make the correct settings for your batteries.

As far as I can tell it is an excellent battery charger. The charger is a 3000W (25 amp 120 volts about 250 amps 12 volts DC) charger and is adjustable so you can use it on a 15 amp shore power circuit or a smaller generator. You are not going to be able to charge even a 400 amp hour bank any faster than this charger will.

The only upgrade you could wish for is a higher capacity inverter and a 400 amp hour battery bank. The charger more than enough.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Clear and unequivocal answer. Your charger is good for AGM and large battery banks.

I skimmed the manual and read the portion about battery charging. The good news is it has a setting for AGM batteries so it is good to go. It also has a setting for larger battery banks. Follow the instructions to make the correct settings for your batteries.

As far as I can tell it is an excellent battery charger. The charger is a 3000W (25 amp 120 volts about 250 amps 12 volts DC) charger and is adjustable so you can use it on a 15 amp shore power circuit or a smaller generator. You are not going to be able to charge even a 400 amp hour bank any faster than this charger will.

The only upgrade you could wish for is a higher capacity inverter and a 400 amp hour battery bank. The charger more than enough.
Thanks, I never saw anything in manual stating AGM mode in my readings but decided to twist my body while laying on my back and look at the side of the charger/inverter today. Right there on 4 position switch, position 1 says AGM, it was set on 3, which is for batteries with over 400 amp hours, my 3 total 315, so set for to high of charge, no wonder the batteries wouldnít last.
Now I can decide on new deep cycles or AGMís and be able to select correct charging process for the batteries..

Tags
batteries