Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2015, 01:06 AM   #1

upgrading to auto awning at quartzite or so cal?

Last year in Quartzsite one of the vendors was offering an upgrade to an electric auto awning for around $800.00. One touch and bam, there ya go, awnings out.
After this weekend and the time and bumping my head on the arms, I'm seriously looking.
I have a 34 foot HR Endeavor with an encased carefree awning now.
The fact that my brother bought a new class C with an automatic awning has absolutely nothing to do with my decision.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiethco View Post
Last year in Quartzsite one of the vendors was offering an upgrade to an electric auto awning for around $800.00. One touch and bam, there ya go, awnings out.
After this weekend and the time and bumping my head on the arms, I'm seriously looking.
I have a 34 foot HR Endeavor with an encased carefree awning now.
The fact that my brother bought a new class C with an automatic awning has absolutely nothing to do with my decision.
When I upgraded from my Class C to my Class A two years ago, it came with an electric awning. I really like it and as you mentioned, I avoid bumping my head on the arms.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"kiethco".....A couple of things. First, I would do it closer to where you live in case there is an issue or warranty concern later on. Often, the dealer/installers at Quartzsite are there for just a month or so and then return back to their home base. Quartzsite, because of the influx of people during the winter, raises their sales tax to 10%. That might be a consideration you need to look at. If you decide to do it in Quartzsite, you might want to plan ahead and make sure they have the color and length in stock.

With that said, a good deal is a good deal. There are typically very few issues with new awnings, so look around and save if you can.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Shade Pro out of El Cajon installed ours in March of 2013. We live in The Inland Valley area.
I believe they are in Quartzsite during the Jan/Feb RV time. We've been going for last few years and I believe they were the ones that came to our
campsite to repair one of our friends torn awning.
Our invoice lists "Shade Pro", but it also says "Carefree of Colorado"
The installer said they are "all over" whatever that means.
We have founds some great bargains, you just have to know the real on-going prices.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piledrive View Post
Shade Pro out of El Cajon installed ours in March of 2013. We live in The Inland Valley area.
I believe they are in Quartzsite during the Jan/Feb RV time. We've been going for last few years and I believe they were the ones that came to our
campsite to repair one of our friends torn awning.
Our invoice lists "Shade Pro", but it also says "Carefree of Colorado"
The installer said they are "all over" whatever that means.
We have founds some great bargains, you just have to know the real on-going prices.
Yes, ShadePro is usually at Quartzsite. We live in their installation area. We had ours replaced at the Good Sam Rally in Phoenix this year by ShadePro. The usually go to rallies. Good Guys.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #6

When you get the conversion from manual to auto electric all you get is the arms no new fabric. And yes Shade Pro is great and the warranty can be handled by most RV dealers. You might consider the motion sensor option closes the awning when it gets windy😎
mccrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:27 AM   #7

I called Shade Pro. They did the upgrade on my slide topper 8 months ago. They're coming by Saturday to give me a firm quote. The guy on the phone said about $850.00
The work on the slide topper was top notch, I'll go with them again. My coach is a 1998 Holiday Rambler and the awni g fabric is original with the scripted Holiday Rambler on the right side fringe strip.

kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning