Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Upgrading Water Pump to Higher Volume Output

I've been considering upgrading my WP to one with a higher VOLUME output, not higher pressure. Wanted to see if anyone else has done so and what the results are, if it's worth it, noticeable difference, etc. Seems like my water pressure and volume aren't very good just running off the pump and I figured one putting out more volume would help. It'll cost around $200 for the higher volume pump which is rated at 5.5gpm @60psi, almost double the volume of mine which is rated at 3.3gpm. TIA for any input!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #2

Physics control what you want, the given plumbing ID and length controls flow volume at a given pressure, the only way to increase flow rate in the same size piping is increase pressure. The easy explanation is, when the pipe is full of water the only way to increase flow rate is increase pressure.
FYI, Most RV plumbing is tested to 60 PSI maximum. A separate issue is (if you have one) an ice maker. The ice maker controls how long the water solenoid opens to allow water flow to the ice maker tray. When pressure is increased more water enters the freezing tray, most ice makers are designed to operate at 35 psi, which controls water flow rate.RV Ice makers have a limited adjustment to control how long the water solenoid is held open, which determines cube size.
Ref: page 3 of http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/icemaker.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #3

If you're talking about switching to the Remco Aquajet 55AVR, then I highly recommend this pump.

I switched from a Shurflo 2088 and then a Shurflo 4008 rated at 50 psi @ 60 gpm.

The Aquajet is rated at 65 psi @ 5.3 gpm. After several years of operation, so far the plumbing in my 2001 Newmar hasn't blown up.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Physics control what you want, the given plumbing ID and length controls flow volume at a given pressure, the only way to increase flow rate in the same size piping is increase pressure. The easy explanation is, when the pipe is full of water the only way to increase flow rate is increase pressure...
True, except for when you want to be able to run multiple fixtures at the same time, like take a shower while someone washes dishes. Then having the extra flow rate is key. All the pressure in the world is not going to fix a low flow rate in a situation like this.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
True, except for when you want to be able to run multiple fixtures at the same time, like take a shower while someone washes dishes. Then having the extra flow rate is key. All the pressure in the world is not going to fix a low flow rate in a situation like this.
l think we're talking the same thing in different terms, flow rate is expressed in ft/min., higher pressure will increase flow rate. When multiple outlets are opened the flow rate remains the same in the pipe, but is reduced at each of the multiple outlets.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 07-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
FYI, Most RV plumbing is tested to 60 PSI maximum.

That's old info. RVIA standards are higher now and the last edition I saw required a pressure test of at least 80 psi. I've heard it was increased again to 100 psi but cannot verify that except that Rev Group manufacturing claims they test to 100 psi.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #7

RVIA Certified Tech Test............100 psi

Increase flow....
Remove the flow restrictors in the sink faucet aerators AND shower (in hose or handle)

Restrictors in aerators are removalble
Restrictors in shower hose/handle may be.....or may need to be enlarged using a 1/4" drill bit

Flow WILL increase w/o them.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That's old info. RVIA standards are higher now and the last edition I saw required a pressure test of at least 80 psi. I've heard it was increased again to 100 psi but cannot verify that except that Rev Group manufacturing claims they test to 100 psi.
I have an old RV, whereupon I based my statement.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Techwriter. When our pump failed I upgraded to the Remco Aquajet variable speed 5.3. It's a great pump and has worked well.
https://www.campingworld.com/aquajet...efault&start=1
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I agree with Techwriter. When our pump failed I upgraded to the Remco Aquajet variable speed 5.3. It's a great pump and has worked well.
https://www.campingworld.com/aquajet...efault&start=1
That webpage says 3.5gpm below in the verbage, which is correct?

"Powerful Flows
The ES delivers a 3.5 gpm flow rate, higher than nearly anything else for the RV industry. Reduced power consumption helps ensure compatibility with existing electrical systems."
EDIT: I found the info, 5.3 gpm @ 65psi, which draws 10A. Camping World must use cheap labor.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Tiffin test theirs from the factory at 100psi.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
We also upgraded to the Aquajet ARV variable speed pump, installed when we had our automatic water softener installed. It’s been great. We take all of our showers using the pump and really like, as someone else already said, that you can flush the toilet and wash your hands while the toilet’s refilling.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That webpage says 3.5gpm below in the verbage, which is correct?

"Powerful Flows
The ES delivers a 3.5 gpm flow rate, higher than nearly anything else for the RV industry. Reduced power consumption helps ensure compatibility with existing electrical systems."
EDIT: I found the info, 5.3 gpm @ 65psi, which draws 10A. Camping World must use cheap labor.
There are several versions of RV Aquajet water pumps (BTW, shop around for price. Camping World wouldn't be my first stop):

Variable-Speed Pumps:
Single-Speed Pumps (also called the "Rebel"): -- less expensive, but more current draw, than the variable speed pumps
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:49 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I have been wanting to do the same thing but had the same questions.

Tags
water, water pump