Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Upholstery Attachment Question

So after a successful first trip (1400 miles and 6 nights) we've decided that he carpet has to go. How are dinettes, sofas, and side chairs normally connected to the floor? I realize bolted through as I can see this part but is it as simple as removing the nuts or will someone also have to be underneath (or worse - removal of under storage units)? Do I have to worry about the bolts dropping through or are they spot welded into place?

Also, on my unit it looks that there is only one roller that actually moves with the slider that I'll need to be concerned about floor height (on a cabinet arm extending from the galley). He other rollers look to be attached to the floor. Am I missing something?

Hanging on for the ride!
ukpajf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #2

I can't help with the OP answer, but will comment on the, "...carpet has to go", statement.

Our first winter trip saw temps drop into the 20s, and it seems to have changed our interest in getting wood; much less ceramic. The carpet was fine with socks on, but anything solid would have been a freezing experience, IMO.

The spaniel likes laying on carpet, too, so there's that.

We're sticking with carpet until we learn more. What did you learn that changed your mind to getting something else?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our issue is two fold - one is that the carpet is old and in need of replacement, two is that we have parrots and although they weren't a huge mess there were feathers and some food which hit the floor and was very hard to sweep up. It would be a lot better to be able to easily sweep to the step area and use a dustpan.
We did think about the cold floor if we put in wood (snap together type flooring) but figured if we really needed a carpet for the morning then we could use a temporary runner.

Hanging on for the ride!
ukpajf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpajf View Post
So after a successful first trip (1400 miles and 6 nights) we've decided that he carpet has to go. How are dinettes, sofas, and side chairs normally connected to the floor? I realize bolted through as I can see this part but is it as simple as removing the nuts or will someone also have to be underneath (or worse - removal of under storage units)? Do I have to worry about the bolts dropping through or are they spot welded into place?

Also, on my unit it looks that there is only one roller that actually moves with the slider that I'll need to be concerned about floor height (on a cabinet arm extending from the galley). He other rollers look to be attached to the floor. Am I missing something?

Since we have dining table with chairs, the couch is the only thing that's bolted to the floor. I moved it out to put a TV behind it on a motorized mount, and the couch was fastened down with lag bolts.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #5

We switched out our carpet for hardwood floors because carpet was worn out and hard to keep clean. Couch was bolted through the floor along with three sets of seat belts. Side seat was also bolted through the floor with a set of seat belts. Dinette seats were just screwed into the subfloor, but had two sets of seat belts on each side.

The underneath side of our coach has 4-6" of sprayed on foam. Some of the nuts were accessible through compartments, but some were buried in foam. I ended up cutting about six bolts off with a sawzall. Now that I have one of those vibrating multi-tools, that would be the tool of choice to cut the bolts.

I filled the holes with wood plugs glued in with liquid nails and sealed with silicon caulk. Cut off bolts were sealed in with silicon. I also used air tools to rattle off the nuts on many of the connections as they pretty tight and the nuts had corroded.

If you are like me you will want to keep small children a safe distance away as standing on your head and running a sawzall tends to bring out words that are not very nice!!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #6

We replaced carpet with vinyl planks that snap together. Wanted wood but the slide wouldn't clear it. We have a cat and two cockatiels.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpajf View Post
Our issue is two fold - one is that the carpet is old and in need of replacement, two is that we have parrots and although they weren't a huge mess there were feathers and some food which hit the floor and was very hard to sweep up. It would be a lot better to be able to easily sweep to the step area and use a dustpan.
We did think about the cold floor if we put in wood (snap together type flooring) but figured if we really needed a carpet for the morning then we could use a temporary runner.
There's also a thin foam that serves as underlayment for wood snap-floors. It will provide some insulation, and a lot quieter sound...and softer feel. I don't know whether it's used in MHs though, so maybe Ernie will see this thread.