Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
upscale back-up camera system

Like many of you my camera system is poor.

Came across this 4 channel system with a digital video recorder
built in to record what is sees.

Looks like it can record based on motion too.

Anyone tried one of these, or something close?

4 Channel Mini Mobile DVR | RVS-870 | Rearviewsafety.com

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #2

Looks like a small version of a home security system.

I scanned the linked info several times, but did not find the number of actual cameras supplied with the kit, so I would verify this info before ordering.

If you only want one backup camera, you can find a good system for under $100 from ebay. If you want video recording of what's happening in front of the coach, you can accomplish that with a $27 DVR camera from ebay plus the cost of an sd card. I use one of the $27 DVR camera's and they work great.

Fred

Old 12-22-2012, 04:11 AM   #3

I have two rear view cameras and two monitors. Both are excellent. One is wired and came with the coach. The other has a wireless camera I installed myself. One is focused on my hitch and the front of my toad and the other has a wider view of 170 degrees in the horizontal plane. There is a lot of overlap in the coverage of the toad. I don't want to ever be without a camera with a toad on.

I place our Digital.Video camera on a bean bag on the dash and my DW activates it with a remote control as required. Or she picks it up uses it as normal when she wants to catch anything as we drive. We took a video of a hit and run incident once and provided the police with evidence. They caught and convicted the perp with the help of our video.

But that camera system on the link provided is something like what I am looking for to be used as a security monitoring system for the RV. I don't see any web capability on it. I would like to be able to access it from the web, like I do with my home system, while I am away from my MH. Need to think on that a bit. My IP address would not be static.

I have a very elaborate security system for my home property that includes 8 cameras, all with motion sensor capabilities, a DVR and a lot of monitor and control capabilities not associated with the camera setup. For example I can see who comes into my drive or I can see and talk to anyone who rings my doorbell at home from our phones or tablets. System has UPS battery backup even though I have an start/stop auto backup genny there. I get a message on my cell when anything out of the norm occurs so I can take a look at things at the house and take the appropriate action. I want to know if my primary sump pump fails. or if the temperature drops inside, or the freezers fail etc. I also have a security firm monitoring break-in and fire related.sensors but they do not have camera access nor can they control anything.

Want to have a similar but much scaled down version for the RV. Anyone out there that has this capability on an RV?
Old 12-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #4

For me your desired system would be overkill but I have some suggestions.

1. Talk to the people who installed your home system, they may be able to help.

2. Talk to other home security companies.

3. Google: "RV multiple camera back up systems" or variations on that search command.

4. Check Ebay. There are several companies that frequently advertise.

5. Consider assembling the components to make your own system.

6. Consider just going cheap as I did - see

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kwildman...g the rear.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I have two rear view cameras and two monitors. Both are excellent. One is wired and came with the coach. The other has a wireless camera I installed myself. One is focused on my hitch and the front of my toad a ynd the other has a wider view of 170 degrees in the horizontal plane. There is a lot of overlap in the coverage of the toad. I don't want to ever be without a camera with a toad on.

I place our Digital.Video camera on a bean bag on the dash and my DW activates it with a remote control as required. Or she picks it up uses it as normal when she wants to catch anything as we drive. We took a video of a hit and run incident once and provided the police with evidence. They caught and convicted the perp with the help of our video.

But that camera system on the link provided is something like what I am looking for to be used as a security monitoring system for the RV. I don't see any web capability on it. I would like to be able to access it from the web, like I do with my home system, while I am away from my MH. Need to think on that a bit. My IP address would not be static.

I have a very elaborate security system for my home property that includes 8 cameras, all with motion sensor capabilities, a DVR and a lot of monitor and control capabilities not associated with the camera setup. For example I can see who comes into my drive or I can see and talk to anyone who rings my doorbell at home from our phones or tablets. System has UPS battery backup even though I have an start/stop auto backup genny there. I get a message on my cell when anything out of the norm occurs so I can take a look at things at the house and take the appropriate action. I want to know if my primary sump pump fails. or if the temperature drops inside, or the freezers fail etc. I also have a security firm monitoring break-in and fire related.sensors but they do not have camera access nor can they control anything.

Want to have a similar but much scaled down version for the RV. Anyone out there that has this capability on an RV?
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #5

Thanks, I installed and programmed my home system, (Omni - HAI by Leviton and a video system by Lorex), but had someone else put the 50+ sensors in and run the video cables for the cameras because they had the right tools for the job.

The security monitoring company just put a box that takes outputs from my system for their notification purposes. It has a telephone connection and a radio link. My connectivity is by Internet and telephone as a backup. Everything in the system is connected to a UPS so power outages are not an issue, plus I have a backup gen that can be set to Autostart but that is not UPS.

I plan to do a downscaled version of this system my RV and I wondered if anyone has such a capability.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rearview Safety, that's goooood stuff. I installed one of thier systems in my MH. I got it from COSTCO. I did not get that fancy dancy one with 4 cameras and a dvr. I see no need for it, min is expandable to 3 cameras if I want, and its colour also.
Straight forward install, took about 3 hours. 1 hour running the camera from the back and the rest designing a bracket to mount the monitor in the dash. Yes the cables do run outside and under the coach, not thru the ceiling as one might think, but down along the frame rail with all the other wiring.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #7

Good post glad your install went OK.

My second camera is wireless and works great and since it is mounted where the rear center clearance light was on the MH, I was able to make a bracket so that it used the same mounting holes as was used for the light.

The power for the OEM installed camera was used to power the wireless camera so I did not have to run cables because it was in the same area. I put a 7in monitor on the dash and it works great. I have more input ports on the monitor for future growth. The OEM camera is monitored in the mirror.

I plan to expand my viewing areas to the sides and front so I can see what is around me when we are in for the night from a secondary monitor I can see while in bed. Have even considered audio connection near the side door so I can converse with anyone there from the bed.

Want to have remote viewing access but that may be problematic without having a static IP address.

Need to also determine if mutiiple wireless cameras would interfere with each other. (Unknown to me.right now) Running wires even for power to the side cameras might be a problem let alone video cables.

Still in the thinking stage on this project and I welcome constructive comments.and still hoping to hear from othere who have done what I would.like to do.

Much better to learn from mistakes of others than my own.

Tags
camera