Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
USAA Ins if Military or related to same

Many USAA members are questioning why USAA has chosen not to offer RV coverage to its members. The following is quoted from another users forum, (TRVN) for your information.

""NO, USAA - at present - does not provide RV Insurance. That is what I am asking you to help me change.

If you are a member of USAA and have - like I do - your house and/or car insurance with USAA, and would like to put the RV insurance with them also - or at least get a good honest quote directly from USAA, you might want to join in our effort to convince USAA that RV's are a good market.

I sent a message to USAA concerning other items and then added the following:

Quote:
Regarding coverage for our motorhome, it would seem that with the number of ex-servicemen/women that have had USAA insurance for years - like me for over 50 years - and the growing number of us in motorhomes, it would seem USAA should re-consider their decision on covering these vehicles directly under USAA Insurance.

Something to think about and pass up to Management

Thanks, again

Regards,

to which I received the following reply:

Quote:
Dear Mr.

I received your message regarding coverage for Motor homes.

We appreciate your feedback regarding our decision not to insure motor homes. We continually look for ways to improve our products and services so they are of the highest quality for our members. Thank you for taking the time to send your suggestion. As you requested, I have passed your comments on to management for review.

Thank you,
Jonie Gearhart
USAA

It is - acknowledged - a pretty "canned" reply, but if enough of us bug them, maybe they will re-consider. One comment, per TRVN administration, "TRVN" cannot be mentioned.

Should you have questions or comments, post it here or drop me a PM/email

Rgds, ""

I encourage you to query USAA's senior management as to the reason for excluding the vast majority of USAA members from the benefits of a mutual insurance company's coverage while grandfathering a very few owners who still have RV coverage through USAA.

There is a bit more discussion on the TRVN forum if you're interested.
A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Index page

Travel safe out there,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #2

I was surprised when I financed my Motorhome with USAA and then asked them to switch me over to Auto Insurance to learn that they did not provide that service.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
As a long time USAA member, I respect their business decision to NOT insure RV's. They have always treated me with the utmost in customer service, They obviously have their reasons, anyone unhappy with their service can always take their business elsewhere.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They switch you to Progressive for other things besides MH's. My jet ski had to be under Progressive also. I don't mind that they do this. They have treated me well for everything else.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #5

I just insured my MH through USAA (Progressive is the underwriter)...looked at switching to Geico but it was still too expensive. When I was stationed at Cape Canaveral, USAA stopped covering new home owners in FL...they grandfathered ours until I got reassigned to Utah.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
My motorhome is and always has been insured by USAA. Don't know if it's grandfathered or just overlooked but in the interest of maintaining a low profile I respectfully decline joining your letter writing campaign.
Good luck though...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Hooligan, I believe you're not insured with USAA on your motorhome directly with USAA. More than likely the policy was covered by Progressive, although you still make payments to USAA. I have been a USAA member for over 35 years and got a great rate and coverage through Blue Sky. Everything else I have is with USAA, only one claim for a new roof in 35 years, so they've made a lot of $$$ from me!

Regards.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just in the interest of information. When I purchased my motorhome my insurance agent tried to get me to write with progressive. Because of my umbrella policy I pointed out I had to stay with Safeco. When she checked Safeco was about half of the premium of progressive.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #9

Five years ago we financed with USAA on our motorhome. When I asked for insurance they said teh wuse Progressive. No problem, recieved a great rate teh firat year. When renewal came around they upped my premium almst 400 dollars. No accedents or tickets. Went to Nationwide with my policy and tehy gave me a rated that was lower than my Progressive rate before it went up.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:36 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
USAA owns an MGA (Managing General Agency) which is nothing more than an agency licensed in all 50 states. I helped put the MGA into the aviation biz many years ago. Like any other agent, they represent several aviation companies to which they "market" an account. There were several other classes of business that they did the same (BIG boats, etc.). Why not RV's?
I'm sure there are several underwriting companies that would allow USAA to represent them. With this type set-up, USAA could keep tabs on premium bait and switch operations (Progressive) and monitor claims results.
Why not?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #11
DJJ

The great thing about USAA has always been their customer service. I don't ever remember hearing a negative story about their handling of a claim. I got a letter from them several years ago which said they would no longer insure homes in FL unless you were active duty, stationed in FL and it was your primary residence. I think they were not happy with the FL state insurance commission and that was their way of protesting. They would not insure my RV, bike or boat and sent me over to Progressive. I just went through GS club and saved over $400 from progressive with better coverage, the policy is with nationwide.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #12

Been with USAA for over 50 years and have had two MHs and now 3rd TT all insured by USAA but the last time they said they were not insuring RVs anymore but since I already had the previuos TT insured they would let me transfer to the new one. That was in 2007. Also I have a cabin in TN that I bought and when in 1998 that they said they didn't normally insure because of the lack of a fire department (have volunteer only) but they did go ahead and do it. My son who has the cabin next to us they made use progressive. Maybe they just like me.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may want to check when you call usaa for RV insurance. They use progressive, but they also use Formost.
I find Formost to be much better and reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #14

Ive been with USAA since the mid-70s, and during that time I have had a modest number of claims with absolutely flawless customer service--I wont change providers for any reason. Having said that, I have occasionally struggled with assessing the "relative" cost of USAA coverage Vs other companies. I am sure there are "cheaper" providers but you never know the value or true cost of your coverage until you have a claim--especially if it is a major claim, but by then its often too late.

My current RV coverage is actually with USAA--almost 13 years now. If we change rigs, I am told Progressive will underwrite the policy. Sorry for the diversion but I told USAA I would change providers if they ever tried to move me to Progressive. Like Costco and many other national brands-- I disagree with their politics. Accordingly, I wont do business with them; and yes, even if costs me more money to do so.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote