Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
USB charger install

Check this out for adding USB charger to any motorhome. Just feed it 12 volts and mount it beautifully in a panel somewhere. Nice product

Dual USB Charger Socket - Blue Sea Systems

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator37 View Post
Check this out for adding USB charger to any motorhome. Just feed it 12 volts and mount it beautifully in a panel somewhere. Nice product

Dual USB Charger Socket - Blue Sea Systems
Looks cool, but I noted there is a 15ma parasitic drain. I suppose one could be installed with a switch.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post

Looks cool, but I noted there is a 15ma parasitic drain. I suppose one could be installed with a switch.
If I did the math right, that load would drain a 225 AH battery in 15,000 hours. Unacceptable.
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #4

Instead of this, just buy a 12v charger and plug into an existing socket, OR try the following (link below). It's a 120v receptacle with 2 USB ports. Just replace whatever receptacle that you'd like. I used this. Works great. Good luck

Newer Technology Power2U Dual Socket USB Wall Outlet
Old 10-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Walmart sells a dual USB cigarette light plug. I think it was $10.

USB outlets provide 5 Volts. I think the Walmart plug was fused for 2 Amps.

I have my iPad GPS plugged in and use the other one for charging phones.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
Walmart sells a dual USB cigarette light plug. I think it was $10.

USB outlets provide 5 Volts. I think the Walmart plug was fused for 2 Amps.

I have my iPad GPS plugged in and use the other one for charging phones.
Dollar tree has 12 v to USB charger adapter for $1.00. White or black.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr159 View Post
Instead of this, just buy a 12v charger and plug into an existing socket, OR try the following (link below). It's a 120v receptacle with 2 USB ports. Just replace whatever receptacle that you'd like. I used this. Works great. Good luck

Newer Technology Power2U Dual Socket USB Wall Outlet
I have several of these 120V sockets scattered about my house and have 3 in my RV - I only installed them this year and they work great. It saves having to look for the adapters that seem to go missing just after my grandkids have been around - hummm perhaps there might be a connection here. They are always looking to connect thier phones. The cables also have a habit of walking away so I made a purchase of 25 cables and 10 extenders off the internet and I still have some left. Did not tell the grandkids where my stash is. The most in demand from them are micro USB cables.

Also have several that plug into the 12v recepticals and a multi port USB power buss up front. Sooo many things are now powered with the 5v USB source I expect newer RVs will soon be supplied with USB outlets, if not already done, but where there is a parasitic load that matters, there should be an easy method to disable the device(s).
Old 10-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the comments. We boondock mostly and don't often have 120 volts. I like things that work well from the 12 volt system. In my coach, I can easily feed this from my 12 volt distribution panel with a fuse of my choosing. It mounts easily and robustly into a panel. I also like these to get rid of those 12 volt plug ins which seem to be everywhere. I now have a charging station for all of our stuff and eliminated much of the clutter of cables and adaptors
Old 10-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator37 View Post
Thanks for the comments. We boondock mostly and don't often have 120 volts. I like things that work well from the 12 volt system. In my coach, I can easily feed this from my 12 volt distribution panel with a fuse of my choosing. It mounts easily and robustly into a panel. I also like these to get rid of those 12 volt plug ins which seem to be everywhere. I now have a charging station for all of our stuff and eliminated much of the clutter of cables and adaptors
I agree, get rid of the clutter but best to have a means to
to eliminate parasitic load as required.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is it worth it?

I've seen reviews of no-name USB charges on MajorGeeks.com and would not plug anything I didn't want to replace into one of them.

During tests some of them delivered 'dirty' power, I.e. Voltage & current fluctuations. Higher or lower than specified etc. A couple of them failed during testing and another one caught fire.

For what the plugs with built in charging ports cost they better be pretty good.

I've picked up 5 Samsung wall wart chargers (so far) for about $3 each on eBay, and a couple of Kisington 12v 'lighter plug' ones for about $15 each.

An iPad requires 2.1 amps to charge. It gets either the genuine Apple charger or one of the Kensingtons. USB cables are pretty much generic and the old style Apple connectors are pretty easy to find, even better quality ones than Apples's. But the new Lightning connectors are a different matter. I've seen a non-Apple one throw sparks, but thankfully it didn't fry the iPad. If you buy one on-line read the reviews carefully and disregard all that seem to be too similar, they're probably fakes.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I've seen reviews of no-name USB charges on MajorGeeks.com and would not plug anything I didn't want to replace into one of them.

During tests some of them delivered 'dirty' power, I.e. Voltage & current fluctuations. Higher or lower than specified etc. A couple of them failed during testing and another one caught fire.

For what the plugs with built in charging ports cost they better be pretty good.

I've picked up 5 Samsung wall wart chargers (so far) for about $3 each on eBay, and a couple of Kisington 12v 'lighter plug' ones for about $15 each.

An iPad requires 2.1 amps to charge. It gets either the genuine Apple charger or one of the Kensingtons. USB cables are pretty much generic and the old style Apple connectors are pretty easy to find, even better quality ones than Apples's. But the new Lightning connectors are a different matter. I've seen a non-Apple one throw sparks, but thankfully it didn't fry the iPad. If you buy one on-line read the reviews carefully and disregard all that seem to be too similar, they're probably fakes.
MuddyPaws

I agree, watch out what you plug into, My USB equipped wall sockets are UL certified, and if what you buy is "CE", "UL" or "CSA" etc certified it should be OK, but of course nothing stops some scam artist from stamping these letters on a product.

Good to check what you use as a power source before you plug in. Unfortunately, items that do not need to connect to public supplied power source may not need such certification so buyer beware. If there was an internal short between the source power (120V or even 12V), and the 5v (USB) output, for certain there would be smoke somewhere when you connect a device unless there was additional circuit protection installed.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #12

Just a thought about the original suggestion and the parasitic load. Looks to me that there might be a recessed LED below the plugs that is the parasitic culprit. Should be simple to kill that for a no load device if I'm right.

Tags
install