Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Use of Fresnel Lenses

I was watching RV driving videos made by LAZYDAYS DRIVER CONFIDENCE COURSE. One of the courses talks about the passenger side blind spot using both flat and convex mirrors. The course talks of using something called a Fresnel lens to eliminate this blind spot. Purchasing my coach last August, I still lack a lot of confidence while driving. Do any of you use these Fresnel lenses? Do they work? If so, where did you purchase them? My wife and I depart on a cross country trip next month and I'm preparing for this trip. Thanks for your assistance.

Jim & Judy & Bella (Black Lab) & Sunny (Retriever)
2010 Thor Hurricane 33T
TOAD 2014 Ford Focus LE
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Camping World is where we found ours.

Kent & Sue & Pecos
2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
Formerly 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
I looked on Camping World's website and didn't see anything but flat and convex mirrors. Could you post a CW IP for the mirrors you purchased? Do they work effectively for you? Thanks.
2010 Thor Hurricane 33T
TOAD 2014 Ford Focus LE
Old 04-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A Fresnel lens is what they use in lighthouses to focus the light beam. Also used in the opposite sense to disperse light in a light fixture. I'm not understanding how it would help with a mirror. Any image seen through it would be distorted. Might want to Google that one.
1995 Coachmen Santara 360MB 36' w/slide.
Ford F53/460 chassis, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee "toad"
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is where I got mine. Amazon.com: Car Wide Angle Fresnel Lens Parking Reversing (Transparent): Automotive If you search they have other sizes. Haven't used it yet. Bought it primarily to put it in the passenger's side window to keep an eye on the fence when backing in or pulling out of the driveway. The driveway 70' long, house on one side fence on the other, just a few inches to spare between the fence and the house eaves. Can't see how close I am to the fence below the passenger's window, hope it will help. This is the one I actually bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...productDetails

Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis with tag axle, Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:31 AM   #6
I started driving tractor trailers 37 years ago. It didn't take me long to realize a fresnel lens completely eliminates the blind spot on the right front side. I now have one on my Class A shotgun seat window. It can be easily re-located, no moving parts, inexpensive, and works great. If you have your mirrors adjusted properly and a fresnel lens placed in the right spot, no car can hide from you over on that far side. A great deal for 8 bucks.

Amazon.com: CIPA 60100 Wide Angle Lens - 8" x 10": Automotive
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:37 AM   #7
The following video is where I found out about the fresnel lens. It looks like it attaches to the passengers side window to make that blind spot on the right more visible. Look at the spot on the video at approximately the 10:25 point.

RV Driver Confidence Course 1: Adjusting Your RV Mirrors - betterRVing! Experience better RVing.

Thanks for the links. Think I'm going to purchase one as my better half has a bad habit of not wanting to stay in the passengers seat while I am driving. It makes me nervous to go from right to left lane, knowing that spot to the right is blind to me. Think I'll give it a try. Thanks again.
2010 Thor Hurricane 33T
TOAD 2014 Ford Focus LE
Old 04-20-2014, 05:23 AM   #8

There are 3 different sizes of the Fresnel lens. I use one in rear window of our MH. Works great.
PPL sells all three sizes.
2004 Endura 6340D
2012 Chevy Captiva toad
ronjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #9
No matter how I adjusted my mirrors I could lose a low vehicle as it passed the passenger side right at the front of the MoHo. Alright if DW was with me but alone it was an issue.
Bought the big one from Camping World with good results, did exactly what I wanted it to do. It was inexpensive.
Ending up cutting it in two and used just the lower portion.
I read a review before suggesting removing it when not in use.
2009 Monaco Monarch 33SFS...Jeep TJ
Wintering in Apache Junction. Summer in Ontario.
harris155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Got mine when I took the Lazy Days Course. Not expensive and easy to move. Great little safety devise especially when a small car is next to you.
jimlaurielucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #11
Country Coach Owners Club
We picked one up at Lazy Days when we took that course. It lives on the door window and had saved a couple of small cars from getting turned into yard art not to mention a new paint job on the coach.

pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote