Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
Use of inverter with residential refer

First, I am talking about a dedicated inverter for the refer, not the whole house inverter. I know that the MH uses the most efficient power available. So with the inverter on but also plugged into shore power it will use shore power. Is there any harm in leaving inverter on all the time. For example, in a CG for two weeks and plugged in. Does it do any harm to anything to just leave the inverter on all that time?

Advantages I see are in case of power outage, refer will still run, at least until batteries crap out.

Disadvantages I see are just extra wear and tear on the inverter?

Comments from those smarter than me about all things electrical?

Shell Bleiweiss
2014 1/2 Thor Challenger 37KT
Sedona, AZ
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
FWIW If it is constructed properly when the inverter gets 120 VAC from the supply main it disconnects the Inverter output and connects mains power to the refrigerator. It should also disable the inverter at that point. If it did not it would remain as a load on the 12 VDC system. I cannot speak for your particular inverter but I would expect that to happen and check the specifications for what you have.

nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
My 1000 watt Xantrex inverter has a 1/2 amp draw while sitting idle. I leave it on all of the time.

When not plugged in, its working and when plugged in, the half an amp is covered by the charger.

I also have a 2000 watt Xantrex. It also draws .5 amps idle. It was switched on for 5 years, while we lived aboard.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine has been running almost non stop for 3 years. I did change the thermostatic snap disk to that runs the fans to one that runs at a lower temp. Keeping the temps down in the compartment helps.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
Three years and I have never turned it off. Just can't think of any reason. Not only will it keep the fridge running in case of a power outage but it will also protect your TV and other electronic devices when ever there is just a momentary blip in power.
If you have you AGS set up you do t have to worry about running the batteries down if there is an extended power outage.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I talked to Magnum, the maker of my inverter. He said on or off, makes no difference. We use ours very seldom, so it stays off until needed.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On all the time. Just let the system decide when it should be enabled and utilized.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
It depends on how the dedicated inverter is wired. In my case the dedicated is connected directly to the batteries and the only thing it powers is the household refrigerator and if I have them aboard, a 17 cu ft freezer in the pickup and a 3 1/2 cu ft freezer in the basement. Since the only coach/dedicated inverter interface is through the DC input, my inverter stays powered all the time, and when on shore power, the Magnum house inverter is charging the batteries and also providing power for my dedicated inverter. Were I to stay in one place for an extended period, I'd shut off my dedicated and plug the reefer into a house 110v outlet. WHen I set it up, I wired both power 110v supplies so I could replug as necessary.

Because my dedicated is always drawing from my house batteries, If I lose shore power I'm already on the house batteries, so my refer and freezers never lose power or experience a surge. We've been running this way for 60,000 miles and have never had any problems with our setup. When we're in boondock mode, we seldom even turn on our house inverter. We've also got 840W of solar on the roof feeding the house batteries, so the load on the batteries is minor whether we run the refer or the refer and freezers. THe reason for the freezers is that we fish Alaska every second summer, and they come down full of shrimp, salmon and halibut.

2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote